Place for discussions about the RX-8
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

R3 Suspension - springs vs coilovers

Post by craigy85 »

Some of you may have read my previous post about my recently acquired R3... Today its had a full service (all belts, fluids and filters replaced) after changing the coils, plugs and leads last week, so quickly getting through the list of jobs.... Next up - suspension!

Both of the rear springs have cracked so I'm going to have to replace them, but I'm torn between 3 options:

1. Just replace the rear springs and keep the original front springs and bilstein dampers (they're looking a little rusty and a couple of rubber boots have split but no leaks and still feel great). However, I understand the springs are only available from Mazda and are not cheap?

2. Lowering springs all round and keep the factory dampers (Tein S, Eibach and Racing Beat seem to be pretty popular). £150 - £250 + fitting?

3. Go all out and switch to coilovers (MeisterR ZetaCRD+ or Tein Flex Z appear to be the top options without melting the credit card). £750 -£850 + fitting and setup?

So has anyone got any feedback on any of the above options (or any others I haven't considered in the same price bracket) vs stock R3 suspension and whether coilovers are worth the extra outlay?

I'm not planning to track / race the car (maybe the odd trackday at some point in the future) and think Mazda's balance between comfort and handling is pretty much spot on for daily use, so wouldn't want to stray TOO far from that... although I do think the car sits too high so wouldn't say no to a bit of a height drop!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: R3 Suspension - springs vs coilovers

Post by warpc0il »

craigy85 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:13 pm
2. Lowering springs all round and keep the factory dampers (Tein S, Eibach and Racing Beat seem to be pretty popular). £150 - £250 + fitting?
You can't fit S1 aftermarket lowering springs to the R3 damper units.

There are some S2 lowering springs listed in the US but they didn't get the same dampers as the R3.

Last time I checked, the R3 rear springs were £164 pair, plus VAT, dealer retail.
That was January last year. The Mazda EPC is currently down for maintenance.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
craigy85 (Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:50 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

having just changed my dampers on my S1 to PZ bilsteins the biggest issue is the PZ (and I'd imagine the R3 springs are the same) uses a flat base spring wheras the S1 dampers have a stepped base to accommodate the spring
so I had to make some conversion parts to adapt the stepped spring to the flat damper seat

so if you want to use S1 style springs like the Teins then you'll also need some adaptors

I will say the conversion for me was totally worth it
the quality of the damping of the Bilsteins is superb and a excellent upgrade over the stock parts
and I'm on the Tein S springs which are uprated over the stock part so it appears they work well with the PZ dampers
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

That's odd Dave... the lowering springs I mentioned are listed as being compatible with both Series 1 and R3, e.g:

Racing Beat - https://www.mazdarotaryparts.com/Mazda- ... Spring-Set

Eibach - https://www.mazdarotaryparts.com/Mazda- ... Spring-Set

I've picked on MRP but seen the same on multiple websites (although I notice the eibach ad says they won't fit the PZ?)

Would be interesting to see what the current price is for a pair of standard rear springs... that's not as bad as I was expecting from Mazda!
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

craigy85 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:13 pm
Some of you may have read my previous post about my recently acquired R3... Today its had a full service (all belts, fluids and filters replaced) after changing the coils, plugs and leads last week, so quickly getting through the list of jobs.... Next up - suspension!

Both of the rear springs have cracked so I'm going to have to replace them, but I'm torn between 3 options:

1. Just replace the rear springs and keep the original front springs and bilstein dampers (they're looking a little rusty and a couple of rubber boots have split but no leaks and still feel great). However, I understand the springs are only available from Mazda and are not cheap?

3. Go all out and switch to coilovers (MeisterR ZetaCRD+ or Tein Flex Z appear to be the top options without melting the credit card). £750 -£850 + fitting and setup?

So has anyone got any feedback on any of the above options (or any others I haven't considered in the same price bracket) vs stock R3 suspension and whether coilovers are worth the extra outlay?

I'm not planning to track / race the car (maybe the odd trackday at some point in the future) and think Mazda's balance between comfort and handling is pretty much spot on for daily use, so wouldn't want to stray TOO far from that... although I do think the car sits too high so wouldn't say no to a bit of a height drop!
Mby is your lucky day I have nearly new flex z covered less than 600miles 450 collected if posted will be about 500. For insured parcel. I'm located in Greenwich or can leave them near Luton Airport.
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Meisters all day long,highly adjustable should you decide to take the car on track and a top quality product aswell.

I have an MX5 and I'm putting on lowering springs soon so you might say why am I recommending Meisters when I'm not fitting them myself? Well my plan long term are a set of Meisters but for now springs will do.

Meisters are a highly recommended coilovers, you won't he disappointed should you go for them
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post:
craigy85 (Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:38 am)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

mi60o0 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 am
Mby is your lucky day I have nearly new flex z covered less than 600miles 450 collected if posted will be about 500. For insured parcel. I'm located in Greenwich or can leave them near Luton Airport.
I could be interested.... d'you mind me asking why you're getting rid after less than 600 miles? And were they on a S1 or R3? Either way, how did you find them compared to stock? I've just been reading some threads on here about the Flex Zs bottoming out / coil binding easily and possibly being undersprung so was on the verge of discounting them...

Also found another option this morning - https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/bilstein ... n-kit.html

Again, any personal recommendations appreciated...
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Cuz I'm striping my car and selling the car mate.
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
craigy85 (Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:50 pm)

Claire Bear
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Claire Bear »

hiya Craigy ..My partner ran our R3 on the Eibach springs...... First mod done actually.. So that's the factory Bilstein's and eibach springs combo. We found it to be a really good set up for the road... Still very comfortable with a definite more firm feeling when pushing on through the corners.
These users thanked the author Claire Bear for the post:
craigy85 (Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:33 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Have you fitted R3-specific Eibach springs?

I recall this... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73692
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
CLOVERLEAF159
Club Member
Club Member

Post by CLOVERLEAF159 »

you know what warp, I'm not sure if our eibach springs that were fitted were R3 specific or not tbh...
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

Thanks Cloverleaf, really useful!

I'm think i'm leaning towards the Bilstein B12 kit at the minute... My thinking is;

- The current dampers are now 12 years (/ 70k miles) old so probably not giving their best any more and the front dust boots are both split so they should be replaced or it'll be an MOT advisory (or I could remove them and likely speed up failure)
- If I have to pay someone to replace the springs (or be brave and do it myself), the dampers are going to have to come out anyway, so why not replace springs and dampers together, and have them properly matched (rather than OE dampers with aftermarket springs)
- Knowing my luck, if i replace only the springs I'll have the damper(s) failing / leaking in 6 months and have to do it all again!
- The B12 kit is cheaper than (decent) coilovers, should give the right amount of lowering (25-30mm front, 25mm rear), improved handling and it's fit and forget... So I can't be tempted to fiddle constantly with the set-up and probably make it worse!

i just can't find any reviews / record of anyone fitting them to an R3 :-k

Dave - All of the sites i've looked at suggest no difference between Series 1 and R3 springs (but quite a few specifically exclude the PZ) so is it possible it's only the PZ damper which uses a flat base?
CLOVERLEAF159
Club Member
Club Member

Post by CLOVERLEAF159 »

is b12, the most extreme set up kit they do then? as in terms of lowering and stiffness....?
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

You could always go for the PZ kit (shocks and springs) proven to fit and work very well on the R3.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

CLOVERLEAF159 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:11 pm
is b12, the most extreme set up kit they do then? as in terms of lowering and stiffness....?
The B12 pro kit is basically the next step from OEM - lowered and stiffened, non adjustable. then they do the B14 (pre-load / ride height adjustable) and B16 (fully adjustable) coilovers
V8 Power wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:40 pm
You could always go for the PZ kit (shocks and springs) proven to fit and work very well on the R3.
But then i'd be in the same boat with 12+ year old kit... if i don't go for the B12 kit i think i'll stick with the R3 dampers and just get a set of springs (e.g. eibach / tein)
Gone but not forgotten:
Sparkling Black R3 (FN58 ETT) - Bilstein B12 Kit, RRP Mk3 Coils & Oil lines, 2010 Gearbox.
Nordic Green 231 (YP55 AXX) - Axxess Ipod kit, Integrated Bluetooth Handsfree Kit, SS Strakes & Lockwood Grilles
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

You could buy a brand new set of PZ suspension from the club shop presuming there is still some in stock.
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

V8 Power wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:09 pm
You could buy a brand new set of PZ suspension from the club shop presuming there is still some in stock.
Ah -ha... I hadn't realised they were still available brand new! Do members get any shop discount? ;)
Gone but not forgotten:
Sparkling Black R3 (FN58 ETT) - Bilstein B12 Kit, RRP Mk3 Coils & Oil lines, 2010 Gearbox.
Nordic Green 231 (YP55 AXX) - Axxess Ipod kit, Integrated Bluetooth Handsfree Kit, SS Strakes & Lockwood Grilles
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

600 quid cost if you have a years membership.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

Ooooh, now that is tempting!!

Dont suppose any of the R3 owners who have fitted the PZ suspension could give me a ride and handling comparison vs stock, and maybe a pic or two of the PZ 'stance'?
Gone but not forgotten:
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

These users thanked the author V8 Power for the post:
craigy85 (Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:03 am)
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

Thanks V8 Power - that doesn't suggest a great deal of difference over a stock R3 though (no difference in height and 'potentially' slightly softer sprung)?
Gone but not forgotten:
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

I think the PZ and R3 suspension set ups are very similar.
Don't forget though that it will be brand new so an improvement over old worn suspension anyway.
craigy85
Former Member
Former Member

Post by craigy85 »

Very true... but i was looking to lower the car too (not much, maybe an inch or so)
Gone but not forgotten:
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

A bit out of subject the coilovers are sold. Good luck with your choice.
If you do pz suspension you can skip declaring it to the insurer looks the same as oem bilsten on your.
If you go with adjustable coilovers some insures are a bit funny.
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
craigy85 (Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 am)

V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

If you want a drop then coilovers are the way to go.
Some on here including myself (on my S1) have Tein Monosport which I have to say are superb.
You can adjust the ride height and damping, the springs are stiffer than standard.
In my opinion with the dampers adjusted to half way (8clicks from full hard) the ride is pretty much the same as a standard R3.
You can also fit Tein's edfc system that allows you to control damping from the drivers seat or even automatically.
These users thanked the author V8 Power for the post:
craigy85 (Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 am)