UPDATE 3/21: **SAFETY ALERT: Fuel Tank recall - Fuel Leaks & Other Issues"

Place for discussions about the RX-8
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Re: UPDATE 3/21: **SAFETY ALERT: Fuel Tank recall - Fuel Leaks & Other Issues"

Post by V8 Power »

I’m not sure how much of an actual issue the fuel pump seal is? Does anybody know of anyone who has had an actual issue or failure?
With the airbag fault from what I understand you won’t know there is an issue unless you have an accident and they fail to go off or only partially inflate.

I wonder what the lifespan of an airbag is anyway as I know most explosives have a shelf life that rarely exceeds 10 years.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

V8 Power wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:40 am
I’m not sure how much of an actual issue the fuel pump seal is? Does anybody know of anyone who has had an actual issue or failure?
With the airbag fault from what I understand you won’t know there is an issue unless you have an accident and they fail to go off or only partially inflate.

I wonder what the lifespan of an airbag is anyway as I know most explosives have a shelf life that rarely exceeds 10 years.
The issue with the airbag is not one of failure to deploy but that airbags have been deploying without warning and this has resulted in fatalities. It is not an RX8 specific issue and has extended across virtually all car manufacturers necessitating a take over of the air bag manufacturer concerned by an OEM consortium in order to preserve the supply source as Tamara, I think that’s the name, could not financially afford to supply the replacements.
For Mazda to have initiated the fuel pump and lower ball joint recalls there must have been a significant risk of failure as the costs to them will have been astronomical.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The airbags fitted to the 8 didn't have any issue with going off unexpectedly - that's just a FB "fact" that people repeat without checking.

The issue is when/if they are fired, correctly, by an impact, there was a problem with rusting of the internal fitting which means that sharp debris could also come out with the bag.

This is why the recall was originally limited to locations with high heat and humidity, like Florida where the first instances were reported

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Some interesting info on airbag life from the AA
Mods please move if this should go somewhere else.

When airbags were first introduced they were anticipated to last 10 years and were dated accordingly. In light of experience this was extended to 15 years and more recently there’s been no ‘replace by’ date indicated at all.

The MOT test doesn’t check airbag age – only warning light function – and it’s unlikely to make economic sense to renew airbags on such an aged vehicle.

In 2010 the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders was reported as saying “the service requirement had been ‘totally phased out’ because airbags had stood the test of time, and were intended to last the lifetime of a car, unless damaged, without the need for servicing.”
These users thanked the author V8 Power for the post:
casey (Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:57 am)
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Thanks gents, every day is a school day.
Rotary History;

casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

I emailed Mazda UK yesterday (15 March) and between then and now, we have exchanged a total of 8 emails.

The author of the Mazda UK emails, David Wilson-Green, Director Customer Services has given me permission to share the relevant information in those emails, so I shall post a few extracts from our lengthy exchanges:
From David Wilson-Green, Mazda UK

Words fail me! Thank you so much for emailing me. I will get onto this once again and find a way to ensure that every dealership understands that they have to follow the correct procedure. My Tech team will take that task on and I’ll personally write to each of the dealer principals and point them to the error of their ways.

I won’t trouble you about the words I’ve used (to a specific dealer) about ‘following procedure’ and ‘catastrophic consequences’ of getting it wrong, but please be assured that they’ll know I’m not happy.

To balance my frustration, I’ll send a note of thanks to those dealers you have singled out positively. I know the teams in each well and they really do go the extra mile. If only everyone was as diligent towards our customers.

I’ve had a very apologetic email from their (the specific dealer) Group Aftersales Manager explaining what he will do to investigate. In summary, they are going to be speaking to all involved, ensure that all Techs know what is expected of them and will ensure that the QC process is revisited. They’ll also be following up with your member today.
I conclude that Mazda UK are very unhappy with certain dealerships not adhering to the new recall procedure!

I'm hoping that Mazda UK will be contacting the two owners who suffered leaks, at least to acknowledge they are aware and have taken the feedback seriously. Those two owners are on Facebook, "UK RX8 Owners Group", but I don't think they are on here. I have pointed one of the other owners who entered the discussion to our club/forum as she was unaware of our existence. I hope she, Honey Goodall, might pop in. If anyone spots her posting (V.Red S1 model, Inverness), give her a warm welcome, she clearly loves her RX-8 :thumleft:
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 2):
Delanor (Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:00 pm) • bigpete8 (Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

casey wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:31 pm
I emailed Mazda UK yesterday (15 March) and between then and now, we have exchanged a total of 8 emails.

The author of the Mazda UK emails, David Wilson-Green, Director Customer Services has given me permission to share the relevant information in those emails, so I shall post a few extracts from our lengthy exchanges:

Words fail me! Thank you so much for emailing me. I will get onto this once again and find a way to ensure that every dealership understands that they have to follow the correct procedure. My Tech team will take that task on and I’ll personally write to each of the dealer principals and point them to the error of their ways.

I won’t trouble you about the words I’ve used (to a specific dealer) about ‘following procedure’ and ‘catastrophic consequences’ of getting it wrong, but please be assured that they’ll know I’m not happy.

To balance my frustration, I’ll send a note of thanks to those dealers you have singled out positively. I know the teams in each well and they really do go the extra mile. If only everyone was as diligent towards our customers.

I’ve had a very apologetic email from their (the specific dealer) Group Aftersales Manager explaining what he will do to investigate. In summary, they are going to be speaking to all involved, ensure that all Techs know what is expected of them and will ensure that the QC process is revisited. They’ll also be following up with your member today.
I conclude that Mazda UK are very unhappy with certain dealerships not adhering to the new recall procedure!

I'm hoping that Mazda UK will be contacting the two owners who suffered leaks, at least to acknowledge they are aware and have taken the feedback seriously. Those two owners are on Facebook, "UK RX8 Owners Group", but I don't think they are on here. I have pointed one of the other owners who entered the discussion to our club/forum as she was unaware of our existence. I hope she, Honey Goodall, might pop in. If anyone spots her posting (V.Red S1 model, Inverness), give her a warm welcome, she clearly loves her RX-8 :thumleft:
Just read this post and have decided to go home now to investigate, and will post pics, good job I dont have to answer to anyone, hope it doesn't mean another day at the dealership 🤬
Hopkins
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Hopkins »

Thanks, casey, for all your work on this!
These users thanked the author Hopkins for the post:
casey (Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:18 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

Please see pics
Top one is passenger side its white
The other is drivers side and has that black residue on it
Also there was no sticker placed in the engine bay confirming work had been carried out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

I can't see if the rings have been tightened to the correct marks from those photos (page 15-16 of the recall procedure). But, if no leaks, best left alone.

4 observations:

The top of the "sub" side cover plate hasn't been cleaned. Not included in the recall procedure and may not be a problem, but not very professional (IMHO) and it could have caused dirt to be swept onto the seal during the torqueing of the ring. Plus, it begs the question of how well other areas, more immediate to the seal, were cleaned [-X

Difficult to see how well the area of the tank has been cleaned, but it looks fairly good in those pics (mine was pretty filthy after the first recall work attempt).

That is a new fuel pump top basket, and new rings :thumleft:

No obvious signs of any fuel leaks :thumleft: :thumleft:
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

Just topped up again with seats out as advised and no smell or leaks visible.
Am I to assume that the procedure was carried out correctly except for the actual testing via filling the tank? and can I assume it has had a new fuel filter?
Is it worth me contacting the garage to ask for the sticker as proof?
Thanks for your help👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

casey wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:31 pm

I'm very glad that DW-G has stepped-up, since the PR team have let him off the reins.

It was clear from the start that he was taking this seriously and was not impressed by (many of) the dealers.

He's ex-Ford and knows what he's about. :thumleft:
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
casey (Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:19 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

Excellent, at least you can have confidence now that there are no leaks :thumleft:

Yes, you have had a new filter.

There is no way of telling if they carried out the procedure "to the letter", but no leaks is the result you need :D

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think campaign stickers are used any more? I certainly haven't had one affixed since the very early recalls, pre 2010(ish). Everything is now recorded electronically.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm

I'm very glad that DW-G has stepped-up, since the PR team have let him off the reins.

It was clear from the start that he was taking this seriously and was not impressed by (many of the) dealers.

I'd like to acknowledge here that I was getting nowhere with this issue (for many months) with my emails to Mazda UK until warpc0il gave me David Wilson-Green's direct contact details. As soon as David got involved, things moved incredibly swiftly :thumleft:
nightfire10 (Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:15 pm) • New Duke (Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:00 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

casey wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:23 pm
warpc0il wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:17 pm

It was clear from the start that he was taking this seriously and was not impressed by (many of the) dealers.

I'd like to acknowledge here that I was getting nowhere with this issue (for many months) with my emails to Mazda UK until warpc0il gave me David Wilson-Green's direct contact details. As soon as David got involved, things moved incredibly swiftly :thumleft:
Wouldn't underestimate your importance in this issue, your help has been reassuring and swift, greatly reducing stress and blood pressure.
Thanks for your time and perseverance👍😎
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I picked-up the baton, but Malcolm ran with it =D> :thumleft:
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
casey (Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:44 pm) • New Duke (Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:01 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

This was the result of my recall - makes you wonder just how thorough you have to be to work as a "Mazda Technician"

Del.

DSCN2019.JPG
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

What! Aside from the dirt was the level sender not even plugged in?
Rotary History;

untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Is there anyway to opt out of parts of this fuel recall? I have a non OEM fuel module and looking at the instructions earlier in this thread it seems that they replace some o-rings in the actual unit and I don't want them taking it apart as it's only got a few thousand miles on it and internally is likely to be different.

This is what I have, decided to buy a new one when I got my Kuro as I had a look and visually the external filter was in poor condition at 60k and didn't want to faff around with modifying the fuel lines like I did with my old RX8 to fitted my gutted OEM one.
fuel module.JPG
If not then I'll have a look in and garage and see if I still have my gutted OEM sender unit from my old RX8, fit that and take it along and see what they say :lol:
20170304_142932.jpg
20170311_130702.jpg
I hope Mazda are replacing the whole unit including the non serviceable filter in the actual housing as this was the state both filters with 70k on it
20170304_135610.jpg
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

If you advise the dealer it is a modified pump then they will record this with photos etc: on the recall system so that Mazda know the recall has been actioned but not actually done.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
untakenname (Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:31 pm)
Rotary History;

casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

:( With some despair, it would appear that one of the owners I referred to in a recent post in here as having a leak last week (where the dealer failed to perform the "full tank" test) had a technician from the dealership visit his home to clean up and fit a replacement seal. All seemed good after a tank refill yesterday, but the owner discovered a small pool of fuel on his driveway today, after the car had stood overnight!

I have just sent the details, including photos, to Mazda UK. The owner and I await a response.
nightfire10 (Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:09 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:58 pm)
Nicklaus
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Nicklaus »

I took mine in to T W Whites in Bookham today for the recall. I have used this garage several times and they have always given good service and I know they always used to have a good reputation (I remember going here with my dad 30plus years ago it was also a filling station with an old guy who would fill the car up for you!)

They gave me quite a lot of confidence when I took it in as I asked about the new technical bulletin which they said they knew about as they had done this recall to loads of RX8s.

I picked up the courtesy car, a brand new Suzuki Swift Hybrid with 80 miles on the clock, which was fantastically average!

The car was ready by 1. I picked it up by the end of the day and had a good chat with one of the staff who showed me around the new mx30 - and proceeded to tell me that the range was not very good!

They had filled the tank and whilst the car was still at the garage I checked the modules under the seats (photos below) and no leaks. Still a bit odd that they left the grime on the drivers side. Drove home and all ok, no fuel smell. The fuel level didn’t drop on the way home which made me a bit paranoid but I only drove 8 miles! I’ll check the car again tomorrow to see if the are any leaks or smells.

So at the moment it appears they did a good job and have to say I was impressed with how they dealt with me, especially considering the recall is not earning them any money!

Finally, thanks to Malcolm (and anyone else!) who has spent so much effort on this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Nicklaus for the post (total 3):
ChrisHolmes (Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:43 pm) • warpc0il (Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 pm) • casey (Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:14 pm)
---------------------------------

D585 Coils, Magnecor Leads, Lockwood Grilles, Yellowstuff Pads, Toyo Sports Catback, Kiwi, Tein S tech springs, Super GT spacers, Supermarket Carpark Coachwork Mods.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

^^It seems so unprofessional not to spend a couple of minutes cleaning that cover before removing the old ring. It's clear in some cases that bits of grit getting trapped in the new seal is the cause of leaks, so cleaning the area thoroughly is vital.

I guess they think the customer isn't going to look under there, so why bother cleaning.......
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:48 pm)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Well I looked!

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
casey (Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:03 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

casey wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:02 pm
:( With some despair, it would appear that one of the owners I referred to in a recent post in here as having a leak last week (where the dealer failed to perform the "full tank" test) had a technician from the dealership visit his home to clean up and fit a replacement seal. All seemed good after a tank refill yesterday, but the owner discovered a small pool of fuel on his driveway today, after the car had stood overnight!

I have just sent the details, including photos, to Mazda UK. The owner and I await a response.
Update, Mazda UK got closely involved in this case.

The car was collected on a recovery truck at about 8.30 this morning from the owner's home for the 15 miles trip to the dealer. Mazda UK sent a senior tech to the dealership to investigate and oversee rectification work alongside the technician who did the original recall work.

The car was delivered back to the owner just before 3pm and he's been out for a drive and all looks good so far - but he'll keep checking.

I'll hope I'll get a report from Mazda UK in due course on what they concluded.
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:40 pm)