Place for discussions about the RX-8
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: UPDATE 3/21: **SAFETY ALERT: Fuel Tank recall - Fuel Leaks & Other Issues"

Post by Delanor »

Nothing changed much with Mazda dealers then - my review of the 1st time round re-call.

Re: Worcester Dealer (Edwards)
Post by Delanor » 18 Jul 2018, 13:35

Another extremely poor Mazda dealer - my RX-8 was booked in for a serious recall (fuel pump fire risk) a friend followed me in his car to this dealer (a 10 mile trip) and I left my car with them, two and a half hours later I received a phone call to tell me they could not complete the recall as their "Qualified Mazda Technician" has not turned up for work!
So a Mazda, Volvo and Kia multi franchise car dealer didn`t have a "Qualified Technician" to change simple seals on a fuel pump, even their service assistant seemed to have little knowledge about the reason for the recall.

To add insult to injury they showed absolutely no concern whatsoever after it cost us for our two cars to complete a 60 mile round trip for nothing due to this fiasco and then with little shown urgency they could only book my car in again after another three weeks (so much for me and my families safety in case of fire from a leaking fuel pump!)
I was informed that the service manager would call me - even that was too much trouble for them!
For a main Mazda dealer this was absolutely shocking service!
Their website states:
"With a wealth of knowledge, expertise and unrivalled customer care. Edwards is here to help"

Nothing could be further from the truth.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
rotatopotato (Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:25 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Clearly the dealership does not appreciate that the fuel leakage is a danger to life situation and would be able to create a space in the workshop if they so cared.
Personally I would feel like brimming the tank at the garage nearest to the dealership and then go and park the car blocking the entrance to the workshop or on tarmac near the parked used cars with fuel leaking out and walk onto service reception to ask about how soon they could fix a fuel leak.
Aside from the H&S issues tarmac is very quickly ruined by petrol so the more they delay the more it will cost them.
The above said I full understand your chosen course of action.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
rotatopotato (Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:30 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by rotatopotato »

Even then I'm sure they'd find a way to weasel out of doing anything about it Chris. Nice suggestion though 😁
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:08 pm)
auditt235
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by auditt235 »

Hmmm mine is due in to Edwards on Thursday... will report back - they should have had some training after what has been said on this thread. John
I may get the hang of this one day??
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

And yet some people put their faith in a potential new (to them) rx8 having a full Mazda service history.
What a Joke😡
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

I'm impressed that after all the mess ups folks are still brave enough to have the recall work done. It looks to me like the risk of Mazda touching your car is higher than the risk of not having the recall done.
Rutz
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rutz »

That's pretty much the line I'm going with, I just don't trust a Mazda touching mine
Club Secretary Dec 2015 - Sept 2018

BB PZ: SS strakes & Crest, Bonnet Stay Dampers
Now my 'weekend' and trackday car :D
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

There's been talk of "Outstanding Recall" being an MOT fail.

The last I heard they were going to make it an Advisory on the first offence, and only a Fail at the next.
This was at the request of the Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) because unavailability of parts can create a waiting list for recalls to be carried-out.

This was just about to be incorporated into the MOT for England, Wales & Scotland, when the Covid stuff happened, which was a big enough distraction that it got put on the back burner.

However, legislation like this often just slips in without anyone really noticing, until it's too late
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Now let me see now:
Trinity Mazda badly scratched a new replacement set of alloys and scrapped one new tyre (glued it to the alloy to stop it leaking) whilst fitting the tyres.
Coventry Mazda badly scratched the drivers seat back fitting a new seat cover, broke the seat casing where the electric switches are, over filled the engine oil, fitted the wrong oil filter, forgot to refit the dipstick.
Leamington Mazda (part of the same group) filed the brake pads down to stop brake squeal and then fitted the pads back incorrectly on one front wheel.
Colliers Mazda used a BP full synthetic engine oil on a service and badly scratched the air filter housing after using it as a tool tray.
Johnsons Mazda failed to replace the air con filter and back axle oil on a service but managed to charge me for it.
Jennings Mazda supplied me with a new PZ with paint work that was covered in industrial fallout, various paint damage, internal door panel damage, worn out wipers.
Edwards Mazda couldn`t do the fuel pump recall as they didn`t have a technician on site competent enough they could trust to do it.

Now some may think a pattern was forming there but apart from the above I have never had a problem with Mazda dealers!

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:41 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

I will say I've not had an issue with my R3 since the recall at Western Mazda Newbridge, and was very happy with their customer service.

The polar opposite of this was Arnold Clark South Street Glasgow, who managed to cock up the recall on my 192 and didn't give a flying funk about getting it repaired in a timely manner, even after Mazda UK leaned on them (via casey).
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

I've enjoyed mazda too

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
DomN
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by DomN »

Lincoln Mazda never reply to any messages or calls. Even worse at the moment as according to their website they are having phone issues so want you to email them. Then they just ignore it.
That's a massive bug bear for me. If you don't intend to answer a digital channel, why have it.
I really don't want to take mine there for its recall. Last time they had my Mazda 6 a few years back for a seat base recall, they scratched the interior door panel taking the seat out then tried to claim the scratch was already there.
I'm seriously considering going to Boston Mazda as they seem to have a better reputation
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

How wonderful it would be if the likes of TPS/RRP/RR could/would get approved for recall work.
auditt235
Club Member
Club Member

Post by auditt235 »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:49 pm
So, my experience with Edwards wasn't flawless, but wasn't awful.

I dropped the car off at 08:30 and then received a call about 2pm to say it had all been done. I asked if the tank had been filled to check for leaks and was advised, for the 4th time, that "That isn't part of the replacement procedure". I explained that I was unhappy collecting the car until it had been filled - at my cost - to ascertain if there were no leaks. After multiple chats with the 'master technician' it was agreed that they would fill the car at a cost of £1.32 per litre to check for leaks. After they had done this they proceeded (I can only presume out of spite) to go over the car with a fine tooth-comb to find every little thing wrong with it they could - which I'm actually grateful for as 3 of the springs have snapped which weren't picked up on the MOT - more on that later...

However, I'll report back if there are any other issues, but they've sent me a video with both fuel tank access panels off and there is no sign of any leakage - so as far as doing the work goes, it looks like they've done a good job :)

EDIT: To add, I fed this back to Casey who has in turn fed it back to Mr DWG at Mazda. They are going to reach out to Edwards to 'confirm' the new process with them which should make future visits by other owners a little more slick as they only filled the tank because I pushed them repeatedly.

I also asked them to give me a quote for 4x new PZ springs for a giggle :D
Edwards Mazda fail again....I had a reminder call from them yesterday and asked about the fuel tank top up to check for leaks - never heard of it but said ask the service guys when you turn up. So I am just back home with the RX. They asked me to sign the repair sheet, and I said before I do, can you confirm that you will be filling my car up to check for leaks at my expense. No we don't do that. I pointed out that it was part of the latest procedure as cars had left dealers and had all sorts of leaks. So the lady went to talk to the 'technician' and ten minutes later all smiles - she said that they could fill the car up for me, but that it wasn't part of the procedure or apparently necessary. So I said I don't feel comfortable leaving my car with a garage that doesn't know how to check for leaks after the event and that I wouldn't be getting the work done there. Edwards Mazda or what we used to call Baynhall garage, has gone down hill since they sponsored me to drive a rally Mazda 323 for them forty years ago! So I think I am going to take Chris' advice and try the Mazda garage in Gloucester. Very disappointing - seems the message from Mazda UK still hasn't got through to them.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

The problem with many dealers is that they print off the first version on any instructions for a Recall or Service Bulletin, and use that every time, without checking back on the system to see if there's been an update.

Ford tried forcing a recheck every time a dealer ordered a related parts pack, but it was hopeless; a bit like trying to get users to read through T&Cs before hitting the OK button.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
auditt235 (Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:52 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
auditt235
Club Member
Club Member

Post by auditt235 »

RX now booked in with Johnsons o Gloucester - thanks for the suggestion Chris sounds a much more switched on organisation. I have written to a Director at Edwards (Adrian). I am pretty sure he was the apprentice technician in the late 70's (about 18 son of the boss) who, after I had smashed up the front wing of my the rally car, took the wing off and hammered it back into shape on the floor!
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Let me know when you are booked in and I will hopefully be able to come over and grab a coffee with you.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
auditt235 (Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:39 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
docjonty
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by docjonty »

I left mine into Trust Ford

They didn't bother doing it but I noted managed to dent the car

After reading the horror stories and my experience of the do called dealer network, I'll pas
Never had any issues with leaks
wayne g
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by wayne g »

Finally managed to pluck up the courage to book my car in for the recalls.
Took it to Littlewick Green Mazda Maidenhead for both airbags, fuel pump ring and fuel tank heat insulator.

I have owned the car from new, `04 231, and it`s only been to the dealers for it`s first service and a warranty claim for headlight leveling motor,
otherwise I do all the work myself so was a bit apprehensive about leaving it with them.
But I have to say they were very good at customer service and the work done on the car.
Some greasy hand prints on the front wings and leaf debris on the carpets from removing the inspection hatches under the seat, but perhaps I`m being to picky.
They even did the oil pipe recall which I knew about but had never received the recall notice.

The only downside was they did not know about the brimming of the tank, even though I asked them to do it.
They have pumps on site so was able to do it myself and wait 10 mins, but no leaks or petrol smell so very happy.
Hopefully that`s the last time I have to visit a dealer!
These users thanked the author wayne g for the post (total 4):
ChrisHolmes (Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:05 pm) • auditt235 (Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:26 pm) • casey (Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:41 am) • Lucky7 (Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:52 pm)
Ken90s
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ken90s »

Had mine done at Millcars Mazda in Watford London a few months ago.

Have not noticed any leaks. They turned it around in a few hours, even filled the fuel up to max to check for leaks so that was a good sign.

There was a strong fuel smell when I got the car back in the interior, however that has now gone thankfully.
These users thanked the author Ken90s for the post (total 2):
casey (Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:16 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:33 pm)
auditt235
Club Member
Club Member

Post by auditt235 »

Well following Chris Holmes advice I booked my RX8 into Johnsons in Gloucester for the fuel leak and air bag issues. When I arrived they didn't seem to know about the re-fill tank part of the process, but a lady said I will get onto Mazda UK to find out more. When they rang back to tell me all was fixed, they mentioned the new procedure also involves sending photo shots of the seal replacement to Mazda - well done WarpcOil!! I even got to drive my first fully electric car as a loaner.....another story.....suffice to say it is not designed for me - hated the radar controlled cruise control. Their was appears excellent no signs of leaks, no petrol smells and a very clean car returned with a full tank. They even commented on the condition of the underside - all green in their checks with no sign of corroded sills. So thanks Chris for the recommendation.
These users thanked the author auditt235 for the post (total 2):
casey (Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:28 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:24 am)
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

Not sure if this has been posted before but came across it and thought it was useful...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
casey (Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 am)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

It's worth mentioning that's the Mazda North America version of the Recall instructions, which we already have on file.

What we don't have is a current version of the Mazda UK document.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
casey (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:35 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

warpc0il wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:30 pm
It's worth mentioning that's the Mazda North America version of the Recall instructions, which we already have on file.

What we don't have is a current version of the Mazda UK document.
As Dave knows, Mazda UK would not give us a copy of the UK version when I requested them, citing corporate restrictions on release of such documents :(
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3