Well...Its seen better days (2020 Catch up & what is that noise?)

Place for discussions about the RX-8
LINXX
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Been thanked: 0

Well...Its seen better days (2020 Catch up & what is that noise?)

Post by LINXX »

This is just a catch up to see how everyone is, but I do have one or two issues, maybe 3 or 4...okay 5 or 6.

How is everyone been doing during this trying year 2020 aye, what an absolutely crazy year.

So probably like the rest of us I started this year very optimistic and up-beat, I got a new job and the job I have wanted to do since I was a kid (fantastic) 2020 was going to be the year I finally focus on the RX8 and fix all those annoying niggles from my my very extensive list and so I set about purchasing the parts.

Solenoids (check).
Purge Valve Solenoid (check).
New MAF Sensor (Check).
Quote to repair seals / rust (check).
Power steering looked at (again, for the 4th time). TBC
New RX8 R3 rear bumper sprayed (but it is yet to be fitted).
Full Body re-spray. TBC
New alloys. TBC

blow out bearing is starting to go so I was about to place an order than lock down happened greeeaaatttt, on the day I started my new job no less.

So last week whilst we were in the mist of the heat wave with lock down over I took the car to work and on the way home the car seriously bogged down and loss power, whenever I came to a stop the car would go dead, not only that I noticed smoke starting to rise up.

Parked up and looked at the cat and it was glowing red hot :shock:

Catalytic Converter purchased (check) and fitted the next day got home and car went dead again.

Ran the ODB II and notice the usual solenoid codes ( P0661, P0443) and two new ones P0302 & P01687).

P0302 seems to be 2nd / rear rotary misfire so add coil packs, spark plugs and ignition cables to that list.

P01687 seems to be Metering Oil Pump, wont lie had to look this one up and my gosh is it an expensive part so I will be looking for a second hand one of those I can tell you.

Which just leaves this annoying grinding noise which seems to have developed when whilst the car has been parked up during lock down. It sounds like rust (I actually had to tugg the steering wheel to get it to move left and right as it was like it had ceased).

I purchased a new u-joint like 18 months ago when trying to fix the power steering i'll upload a video (youtube link below) but does anyone know what it could be?

https://youtu.be/0DbN8v24Yro

Just an FYI on my 2004, 231 RX8 had an engine rebuild 2-3 years ago and I have only done around 2 thousand miles since then I own two bikes and have barely driven.