Premix in engine oil

Place for discussions about the RX-8
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Premix in engine oil

Post by R1DSO »

I just did something stupid and topped up my engine oil with 200ml of premix :oops:.

In my defence, the Idemitsu premix I use looks pretty similar to the Idemitsu 10w30 Racing Rotary engine oil I've been topping up with:
Premix.jpg
Engine oil 2.jpg
By my calculations, my engine oil is now just under 3% premix #-o. I know premix is designed to lubricate (and ignite in) the combustion chamber, so I assume it's not as good at lubricating the rest of the engine's internals. Project Farm says otherwise, but that was in a lawn mower and not a rotary :lol::

My question is, is 3% a negligible amount of premix to have in my engine oil, or should I do an precautionary oil and filter change to flush it out? The car had a (presumably single/5l) oil and filter change from the dealer I bought it off back in February 2020, under 2k miles ago using QX5W30C3. The previous year's oil/filter change was less than 1k miles before.

The plan was to do a filter and double oil change in Feb 2021, or after the car had done 4k miles in my ownership - whatever came sooner. I was going to switch to Idemitsu 10w30 Racing Rotary engine oil with the double change, sticking to frequent single changes with the same stuff moving forward.

However, with a double change of Idemitsu costing £160 in oil alone, I'm less keen on the idea if my RX-8 needs a change now :shock:. Moving away from the rotary-specific brands, I know 10w40 is the preferred viscosity, with Millers Trident a popular and much cheaper choice.

Cheers,

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 R3 in sparkling black
Racing Beat REVi ram air duct
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header / mid pipe
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Carbotech XP10 pads / Mintex discs / Motul RBF600
Russell speed bleeders
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

1990 Eunos Roadster V-Spec in BRG
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Premix in engine oil

Post by warpc0il »

I can't see 3% having any noticeable impact on the sump oils ability to lubricant the bearings etc.

I don't see a Sohn/Cofs on your mod list so that oil is also going to be consumed by the OMP, which might be improved by the addition of the premix, certainly it won't do that any harm.

As the oil level drops and is topped-up then the percentage of "contamination" will be further reduced.

Well worth doing the maths and asking the question, to which my opinion is "She'll be fine mate" :D
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
R1DSO (Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:33 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

The latest Idemitsu bottles are so similar that I’m worried I would do the same. I have some of the red ones left so I would be tempted to top them up with premix.
These users thanked the author delta0 for the post:
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

warpc0il wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:44 pm
I can't see 3% having any noticeable impact on the sump oils ability to lubricant the bearings etc.

I don't see a Sohn/Cofs on your mod list so that oil is also going to be consumed by the OMP, which might be improved by the addition of the premix, certainly it won't do that any harm.

As the oil level drops and is topped-up then the percentage of "contamination" will be further reduced.

Well worth doing the maths and asking the question, to which my opinion is "She'll be fine mate" :D
Nice one, thanks Dave :thumleft:. Reassuring to hear that I’ve got a little longer before I make a call on whether I really do stump up the cash for a double Idemitsu change. I like that idea that it’s a rotary-specific oil, but not that I’d need to buy 10x expensive 1l bottles :-k.

I was under the impression that you couldn’t fit a SOHN on an R3 engine. If I could, that mod would definitely be on my ‘to do‘ list, along with the oil filter temperature gauge which I think is the preserve of S1 owners also.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

delta0 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:37 pm
The latest Idemitsu bottles are so similar that I’m worried I would do the same. I have some of the red ones left so I would be tempted to top them up with premix.
That’s a good idea. I started buying Idemitsu after the change from red, unfortunately.

To try and keep things separate, I store my 2 stroke in the car’s door compartment in premixing bottles and my engine oil in the velcro pack in the car’s boot. However, I still managed to blindly go and grab my reserve 1l of premix when topping up today #-o.
07842BA0-39EF-4E4F-8D7F-64D929CB1D62.jpeg
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

R1DSO wrote:
I was under the impression that you couldn’t fit a SOHN on an R3 engine. If I could, that mod would definitely be on my ‘to do‘ list, along with the oil filter temperature gauge which I think is the preserve of S1 owners also.
Sorry, no you can't fit a Sohn on an R3 because of the totally different OMP design.

The relocation of the oil filter also makes a sandwich plate tricky, though others have managed it, for oil temp and/or pressure.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

If your paranoid about the pre-mix with your engine oil, you could do a cheap engine oil swap, I tend to use Castrol 10-40 and purchase it from Tesco's when on offer.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
R1DSO (Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

PaulAV wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:05 pm
If your paranoid about the pre-mix with your engine oil, you could do a cheap engine oil swap, I tend to use Castrol 10-40 and purchase it from Tesco's when on offer.
Given how cheap the Rotary Revs recommended Millers Trident 10w40 is still selling on Demon Tweaks for, I might just opt for that.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/millers ... l-2006317/

I saw New Duke posted regarding weights, although the post seems to have mysteriously disappeared :-k...

I went down an oily rabbit hole researching brands, weights and specs when I first got my RX-8, before coming full circle. Whilst frequent changes with organic oil would appear to be the preference, it seems that you can only get semi or fully synthetic engine oil from the reputable brands here in the UK.

In addition to the marketing, my train of thought was that Idemitsu, being a rotary specific synthetic oil, is designed to burn cleanly in the combustion chamber. Its standard product 10w30 viscosity is the same spec as used by other rotary brand Synionic and this has been developed to run in hotter rotaries (RX-7s) in hotter climates (Japan).

So, I would have thought it should sufficiently lubricate the gear bearing etc, especially with our UK-spec twin oil coolers keeping temps down in our mild climate. Or, Idemitsu would have changed the spec, given that they’re not wedded to Mazda or the efficiency criteria of other manufacturers.

However, that’s just where I ended up. I am by no means an oil expert :lol:. And, given the state of the economy currently, I’m starting to think that 10 litres of Millers Trident to do a double oil change at £32 vs £160 for 10 litres of 10w30 Idemitsu is too big of a price differential to ignore!
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

We run higher oil pressure in the R3 so this Idemitsu 10w30 is perfect.
These users thanked the author delta0 for the post:
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

R1DSO wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:17 am
However, that’s just where I ended up. I am by no means an oil expert :lol:. And, given the state of the economy currently, I’m starting to think that 10 litres of Millers Trident to do a double oil change at £32 vs £160 for 10 litres of 10w30 Idemitsu is too big of a price differential to ignore!
I bought 10 litres of Millers from Demon Tweeks, a 5L and 5 1L's for top ups ( I like these as I can keep them in the boot). Josh at TPS did talk about another oil they do which is Synionic 10W30, another one for rotaries, and I did consider it but it is pricey. I don't think he leaned particularly to either of them, but did say Miller's is their defacto choice and it's never caused a problem so far. I think some people also make the point that frequent changes are maybe as important as the type of oil you use, and at the prices Miller's is you can comfortably change pretty frequently !!
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

I've heard that when the last stocks of Synionic oil is sold in the UK there is unlikely to be any more. The volumes now being sold have made it uneconomic to produce any longer, apparenty.
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 2):
v-rex (Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:58 pm) • R1DSO (Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

R1DSO wrote:
I saw New Duke posted regarding weights, although the post seems to have mysteriously disappeared :-k...
Yeah I decided against leaving the post up. Hope you find a solution that you're happy with.

Just to add a clarification. That Idemitsu isn't fully synthetic. It's a semi with a mineral oil base. Just like all the cheaper oils that do exactly the same job.

It's all there in the technical data sheets instead of the advertising blurb.
delta0 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:27 am
Higher pressure and injector spray patterns don't change hot viscosity or mitigate oil shear though. I wouldn't call any 30 weight mineral base oil perfect for rotaries that are driven properly in summer.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
R1DSO (Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:15 pm)
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

At only £3.20/l for the 5l bottles, I just couldn't resist the Demon Tweaks Millers Trident offer given it's reputable stuff - the offer looks like it's running until the beginning of October, FYI. £16.99/l for Idemitsu is a BIG premium, especially when talking double changes and when there are mixed opinions on whether it's viscous enough.

I've ordered 15l of Millers 10w40 semi synth + a 1l bottle for the boot pouch. The 1l bottle looks different enough to Idemitsu Premix (which I'll continue using) for me to hopefully not top-up my engine oil with the latter again :oops::

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/millers ... l-2006317/

Once I've got through topping up with my dogend of 10w30, I'll do a double oil change with the Millers. I needed to order more engine oil to top-up with anyway, hence the change of direction in viscosity now given the price of Millers vs buying further 10w30 Idemitsu top-ups. I've also ordered an OEM Mazda R3 oil filter, a pack of crush washers and a GReddy magnetic oil drain plug.

The double change will be around the 2k or so miles mark since the last (single) 5w30 oil and OEM Mazda filter change. Moving forward, I'll plan on doing single oil changes with Millers every 3k miles to keep things fresh. What are the thoughts on changing the filter each time with these low intervals vs every 6k miles i.e. only fitting a new filter every other single oil change?
Last edited by R1DSO on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author R1DSO for the post:
v-rex (Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:36 pm)
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

I change the oil about every 3-4k. Given that the filter is only £10-12 from dealerships (and the washer about a quid) I change it every time. But that's because I have to get down there to drain the sump anyway. I've never gotten the hang of vacuum pumping the oil out of the top of the 8 without spraying it everywhere. If I had I'm sure it'd be tempting to skip some filter changes.

Lots of folks here do only change the filter every other oil change. So either way you won't be alone in your decision. The best thing you can do is change the oil frequently, regardless of what oil goes in, especially if you use the car on track. So good call on that :thumright:
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

R1DSO wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:25 pm
... the offer looks like it's running until the beginning of October, FYI.
Awesome, that's useful info. I might pick up another 5L or two for future changes, and it looks like I have a month or so to think about it.
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

New Duke wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:03 pm
R1DSO wrote:
Yeah I decided against leaving the post up. Hope you find a solution that you're happy with.

Just to add a clarification. That Idemitsu isn't fully synthetic. It's a semi with a mineral oil base. Just like all the cheaper oils that do exactly the same job.

It's all there in the technical data sheets instead of the advertising blurb.
delta0 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:27 am
Higher pressure and injector spray patterns don't change hot viscosity or mitigate oil shear though. I wouldn't call any 30 weight mineral base oil perfect for rotaries that are driven properly in summer.
I’m not aware of any issues with people running Idemitsu, a rotary specific oil. This particular one is fully synthetic. I wouldn’t recommend other oils.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

delta0 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:54 pm
I’m not aware of any issues with people running Idemitsu, a rotary specific oil. This particular one is fully synthetic. I wouldn’t recommend other oils.
No, it's a semi sold as fully synthetic. Oil labelling is a murky place.

Bottom of page 2 on the attached data sheet from Idemitsu. It's a semi made from mineral base stock. Just like all the cheaper semi oils available.

The Idemitsu costs more because it's shipped over from the USA... and for hype. It won't cause anyone problems, but it's just oil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
delta0 (Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:20 pm)
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

New Duke wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:44 pm
delta0 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:54 pm
No, it's a semi sold as fully synthetic. Oil labelling is a murky place.

Bottom of page 2 on the attached data sheet from Idemitsu. It's a semi made from mineral base stock. Just like all the cheaper semi oils available.

The Idemitsu costs more because it's shipped over from the USA... and for hype. It won't cause anyone problems, but it's just oil.
I believe it is from Japan, but yes that will certainly add to the cost.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

New Duke wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:03 pm
I change the oil about every 3-4k. Given that the filter is only £10-12 from dealerships (and the washer about a quid) I change it every time. But that's because I have to get down there to drain the sump anyway. I've never gotten the hang of vacuum pumping the oil out of the top of the 8 without spraying it everywhere. If I had I'm sure it'd be tempting to skip some filter changes.

Lots of folks here do only change the filter every other oil change. So either way you won't be alone in your decision. The best thing you can do is change the oil frequently, regardless of what oil goes in, especially if you use the car on track. So good call on that :thumright:
Nice one, thanks mate :thumleft:. Yeah, I have no issues with regularly crawling under my car, so I may as well change the filter at the same time.

Unless running a magnetic filter, I would have thought that gravity would help particles out more easily with the oil when draining from the pan too. And, although its surface area is small, a magnetic drain plug should help collect up some swarf too.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I change my oil frequently and alternate between conventional "drop the sump plug" with a filter replacement, and "suck out the top" just to refresh.

I have a magnet on the plug and super magnets around the filter. Both help collect ferrous particles but do nothing for any bearing wear material.

R1DSO (Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:14 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:49 am
I change my oil frequently and alternate between conventional "drop the sump plug" with a filter replacement, and "suck out the top" just to refresh.

I have a magnet on the plug and super magnets around the filter. Both help collect ferrous particles but do nothing for any bearing wear material.

Good to know, thanks Dave :thumright:. Out of interest, when doing an initial double change (on the same day), is there any merit in changing swap oil filter after the first vs the second oil drain?
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I replace the filter on the second change, as the first dose of fresh oil will have got more debris into circulation.

Also you don't want the filter already contaminated with the 50% old oil mixture.
R1DSO (Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm
I replace the filter on the second change, as the first dose of fresh oil will have got more debris into circulation.

Also you don't want the filter already contaminated with the 50% old oil mixture.
Got it. Makes sense :thumleft:. Thanks Dave.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob