Where has this bolt/stud & nut came from please.....

Place for discussions about the RX-8
diddyman
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where has this bolt/stud & nut came from please.....

Post by diddyman »

Hi,

Whilst topping up the oil the other day I noticed a bolt (well on closer inspection it appears to be a stud and nut) hiding by the NS front suspension mount.

Any ideas where this has come from please, obviously this must of been removed by someone and not put back (or was repalced).

The last piece of work done on the car was was a couple of years ago when the oil cooler lines were replaced.

If any one can point out where potentially this should go I would be extremely grateful so I can then at least check to see if it needs to be put back!

Many thanks!
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Where has this bolt/stud & nut came from please.....

Post by Nickp47 »

Looks like one of the engine mount bracket bolts to me but someone more knowledgeable will confirm
deekhubert
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by deekhubert »

Looks like a manifold stud and nut to me but I am no expert
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I second the opinion that its a manifold stud and nut, after swapping out my manifold a week ago I came close and personal to a full set.
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
diddyman
Former Member
Former Member

Post by diddyman »

Thanks for the input, after looking from the top of the engine bay nothing seems to be visible, it is possible to see if I look/feel from underneath if I get the car up on some ramps and I remove the undertray.

If you can roughly indiate the area I should be looking at I would be grateul.

I presume it is going to be somewhere on NS side of the engine..

Many thanks in advance
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

No need to remove under tray as the manifold is behind that, maybe looking in from the wheel arch will give you a better view (wheel off)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

While that looks like an exhaust manifold stud, I've never seen one as unrusty as that on an '07 car.

What work has been done on the car lately?
Where was it done?

It's possible that the stud may have come from another car being worked on at the same time.

BTW This is a list of all the "Studs" known to the EPC
studs.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
diddyman
Former Member
Former Member

Post by diddyman »

Hi Dave,

The only work done in past 2 years was getting the oil cooler lines replaced, prior to that outside of general servicing it was the engine mounts that gor replaced but that was like 6+ years ago probably.

Since the oil cooler lines were replaced, I have done very little mileage (less that 1500 miles over 2 years) so I have not needed to top up the oil much...hence presuming this appeared perhaps when the oil cooler lines got replaced.

I agree with your thought that this perhaps not an exhaust stud, as having seem then on other cars the nuts do get rusted and pitted, this nut has a blacked colour but not from heat and is not pitted in anyway.

It is definitely a mystery!
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:31 pm
While that looks like an exhaust manifold stud, I've never seen one as unrusty as that on an '07 car.

:whathesaid:

I would have thought it has come from access at the top and someone has used the suspension top as a tray and it does look like a hefty stud and it has not been exposed to the elements much.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.