DaveKimberley
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

AutoCar RX8 Buying Guide

Post by DaveKimberley »

Last edited by DaveKimberley on Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author DaveKimberley for the post (total 2):
Pingping010101 (Mon May 25, 2020 12:59 pm) • Delanor (Mon May 25, 2020 3:36 pm)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: AutoCar RX8 Buying Guide

Post by Delanor »

Pretty standard comments on an RX-8 apart from replacing the ignition coil luckily I always carry 3 spares just in case. :thumleft:

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Why the references to "228bhp"? It's only ever known as "231PS"

The only times my car uses 250ml of oil per 1000 miles is on track, not even close on the road, and less than half as much as a (BMW) Mini Cooper S.

The coolant doesn't leak onto the power steering sensor, it leaks onto the power steering connector.

He mentions "pre-2006 car" without saying anything about the VRT costs.

By "the inbuilt diagnostics programme usually won’t issue a warning until it’s too late" I assume he means the oil pressure gauge :roll:

That would indeed be a "rare 40th Anniversary edition" to be "sold with a 12-month warranty" that has any meaning at all.

What is it with journalists that makes them too arrogant to run their material back passed their sources to check that they haven't screwed it up, before publication?
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

These kind of articles do explain why most new owners come here with bizarre information at least. Those kind of inaccuracies just wash over me now I'm so used to them and I enjoy the pictures :D .

As Del highlighted the comments on rotary articles are always hilarious. People can never compute that the 8 is simultaneously the most abused and most reliable car I've ever owned. It's like that breaks some sort of internet rule of thumb :D
Last edited by New Duke on Mon May 25, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

What I always find annoying is we all know the RX-8 uses oil, it is designed to use oil its stated by the manufacturer and having owned several they have never left me thinking " Christ these drink some oil" and yet my daughter has owned 2 Mini Coopers and they do drink oil and I do think "Christ these drink some oil" but it is never mentioned in reviews etc and it is common knowledge amongst Mini owners!

Try buying an RX-8 with any warranty and a short time down the line find it has low compression then try and claim on your warranty for engine wear n tear! =; :banghead:

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

The funniest thing about the "these cars drink oil" is that every car manufacturer has similar or even higher figures to what Mazda states is acceptable oil useage... Take the Nissan 350Z for instance... Its acceptable by Nissans standard to use quite a bit of engine oil per whatever mileage (I can't remember the exact figures but the figures add up to be similar to Mazdas acceptable levels). But its an easy "negative" to look at. Most cars use oil just when they are "new" the oil useage is low.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

the official limit on most Audis - all the boosted ones anyway are apparently fine with oil consumption of 1000 miles / for a litre

I think my rexi is about this to be honest
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

I think most manufacturer specs are around 1k miles/1Ltr. I did look into it. But its the kind of figure where they've come up with the "worst case" for consumption that will likely never be hit and then go "this is acceptable".
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071