Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

MOT's extended for 6 months

Post by casey »

It's official, automatic 6 month extension to MOTs:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 5):
Bigblueknight3k (Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am) • Harrizone (Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 am) • Broron (Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 am) • sKenDread (Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:08 am) • Ainmhidh (Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:26 am)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: MOT's extended for 6 months

Post by warpc0il »

NI ahead of the rest of the UK this time... :roll:

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by brix79 »

Typical. Mine runs out on the 29th.. #-o
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

MOT's extended for 6 months

Post by GreySilver Beast »

=D> =D> =D> =D>
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

That's amazing
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Mine was booked for 4th April :)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 6 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

brix79 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm
Typical. Mine runs out on the 29th.. #-o
Likewise. Mine was due to be done today (at a reduced rate) along with a regular yearly service at the main dealers (I have an advantageous service plan) only to get a phone call yesterday to say they have closed entirely. even for MOT's. Fortunately an ex RX8 owner at a garage nearby has agreed to do it on Friday. However is this classed as an essential journey? The dilemma is if it is not MOT'd then the insurance is invalid and it is not possible to SORN the vehicle as it is kept on the road. So would the police/DVLA take this into account for people whos MOT expires between now and the 29th, and /or who are perhaps self isolating.
Now a distant memory unfortunately.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

From the Government website why you may need your car which will need an MOT:
I would just go and get a new MOT.

To shop for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
for any medical need.
To provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
To travel to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh »

I'd say that's entirely justifiable as an essential journey. Their rules mean you have to get an MOT so you can use the car for shopping etc.
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
New Duke (Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:06 pm)
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

Fortunate for me.. The focus' MOT is April 15th. I now won't have to get the MOT redone until October time. There's nothing seriously wrong other than the need to change a rear bearing which is a tad noisy. But when I get around to checking the bearing for play in the next nice bit of available good weather. I'll also check all the other suspension parts for excessive play. As that's something that if it is excessive even an idiot could spot.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

whoops mines expired!
however my local garage will come and collect it to do the MOT - result!
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by dac69er »

You can still be prosecuted for driving an unsafe car during the extension period, so it almost sounds like you need to do a short course in motor mechanics just to make sure you can check your own car for the next 6 months! It's a bit farcical imo.
These users thanked the author dac69er for the post:
New Duke (Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 am)
Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry »

Might just insure and take it off sorn and worry about mot ing it later on in the year so I can rag it (I mean test drive) it

Just applied to my company to be furloughed so I’ll have more time to fit all the mods I’ve been collecting in between the gardening and decorating whilst self isolating of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:wash:
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

If you SORN your car, don't forget to advise the Insurance Company, they will reduce the premium and give Fire & Theft cover whilst Sorned.. saves a bit of cash :thumleft:
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Or they just cancel the policy without checking back with you first and there's no refund if less than six months remaining... :roll:

Note that you're not required to tell your ins Co if the car is sorn'd, unless something else changes, e.g. you keep at a different address.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

I asked my insurance Company and they confirmed they will Fire & Theft the car whilst Sorned and there will be a saving which will be refunded, I guess it depends on who you are with, based on your comments Dave. I'm with LV and no problem..renewal due August.
John

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

acegeezer wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 pm
I asked my insurance Company and they confirmed they will Fire & Theft the car whilst Sorned and there will be a saving which will be refunded, I guess it depends on who you are with, based on your comments Dave. I'm with LV and no problem..renewal due August.
LV? Good lord just don't have an accident. That's who I had the pleasure of going through the court with last year and who failed to repair my 8 properly.
They don't vet their repairers, they just pick the cheapest. So the best you can hope for is a bodge that may or may not be safe.
LV don't care, they pass the liability to the repairer. It's basically a scam.
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

Good to know at renewal time then :thumleft:

EDIT.. 27/3 .. Just received my refund straight to my bank of £62.70 for reducing my Comp. policy to Fire & Theft.. not a bad company to me in any way, having said that never had to claim either.
John

dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

New Duke wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 pm
acegeezer wrote:
LV? Good lord just don't have an accident. That's who I had the pleasure of going through the court with last year and who failed to repair my 8 properly.
They don't vet their repairers, they just pick the cheapest. So the best you can hope for is a bodge that may or may not be safe.
insurance in general is a scam. i only get insurance because its the law, i just get the most basic insurance i can get. my cars are all worth next to nothing anyway, as long as it covers the other car, i dont care as i would sort my car myself rather than use an insurers "approved" repairer.
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

acegeezer wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:37 pm

EDIT.. 27/3 .. Just received my refund straight to my bank of £62.70 for reducing my Comp. policy to Fire & Theft.. not a bad company to me in any way, having said that never had to claim either.
probably charged you £60 admin fee for making a change to your policy mid-term so you would actually receive a whole £2.70 ;)
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

dac69er wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm
acegeezer wrote:

probably charged you £60 admin fee for making a change to your policy mid-term so you would actually receive a whole £2.70 ;)
No Admin charge under these Crisis circumstances, they feel it would be inappropriate.. so full amount with no charges :)
These users thanked the author acegeezer for the post (total 2):
New Duke (Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:35 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:53 pm)
John

New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

dac69er wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:26 pm
New Duke wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 pm
acegeezer wrote:
insurance in general is a scam. i only get insurance because its the law, i just get the most basic insurance i can get. my cars are all worth next to nothing anyway, as long as it covers the other car, i dont care as i would sort my car myself rather than use an insurers "approved" repairer.
I can sympathise with that. Quality of repair is just so uneven (and unregulated) that you never know how it's going to turn out.

I had to make 3 no fault claims on my MX5 (that car got hit a LOT) through Sainsburys Insurance who at the time were low cost and competing with LV. But Sainsburys had an agreement with the regional Ford network and each repair was dealt with by Ford's in-house bodyshop... despite my car being a Mazda. Because it was dealt with at a main dealer no corners were cut, no cost of repair was sniffed at, and they did an excellent job everytime. It felt fair and safe. Sainsburys were then kind and didn't mark any of those accidents on my record, even though they knew they should. They didn't think that penalising victims was fair.

Making a claim with LV was just as easy for the 8. But then it came to repair and I visited the 'approved repairer'. Couldn't have been further from the experience I had with Ford. It was effectively a run-down industrial unit with cars packed together in varying states of repair out in the street. The assessor saw the damage and said they'd quote for a new rear bumper at the least.

I wasn't comfortable after seeing customer cars left out on the road so I tried to get LV to let bigpete do the repair, as it said in the policy that I could use my own repairer, but LV dug out so many hurdles that using their blokes became the only option.

When I got the car back I was told by the delivery driver that the repairers had flooded the car twice, despite me emailing in very clear instructions (and R3s being hard to flood). The repair wasn't great either. LV had paid for a new bumper but the repairer had just reformed and resprayed the existing one. The mounting points for the rear bumper had been snapped too, but instead of replacing those they just glued the rear bumper to the car.

I told LV that I wasn't happy with the repair job and that the repairer hadn't replaced the part as quoted. LV pretty much said 'not our problem'. I also asked for my suspension geometry to be redone as it had been properly done by FW Motorsport only 5 days before the accident, but LV refused. Sure enough when I paid FW myself to do it again it was miles out.

Then LV had trouble recouping the costs from the other insurer despite the other insurer having admitted liabilty. LV's solution? Launch a small claims court motion in my name against the driver who hit me, without my permission. In the process they gave my home address to the other driver who had originally fled the scene. They then threatened to make me cover the legal fees and court costs, despite my policy saying I wouldn't be liable. So then I had to fight LV in my own claim to leave me the hell out of it... which was successful.

The whole thing was a nuisance. Both Sainsburys and LV are underwritten by UK Insurance Limited, but very different end experiences.
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

acegeezer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:40 pm
dac69er wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm
acegeezer wrote:

No Admin charge under these Crisis circumstances, they feel it would be inappropriate.. so full amount with no charges :)
an insurance company doing the right thing? what has the world come too!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”