Place for discussions about the RX-8
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: Low emission E10 fuel

Post by Delanor »

Is this for real E10 possibly freezing fuel lines.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh »

Whether or not there are actually going to be issues with water/ethanol mixes settling in your fuel tank (why would it be more of a problem than just water condensation, without the ethanol? The ethanol would make the freezing point much lower anyway) - that does read as a barely disguised advertorial for a fuel additive.
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231

Post by Neilparry »

Surely If a problem like this were to occur in the first year of E10 fuel being used, the fuel manufacturers would be forced into adding an additive into the production process rather than costing the consumer an extortionate amount on top of the ever rising costs of fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:wash:
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

That certainly sounds like an advert in wolf's clothing tbf

Also this additive 'reduces emissions and increases mpg to save consumers money' - by spending money...

EDIT: The fuel conditioner is for Diesel according to their website! :lol: Talk about a clickbait article

https://sulnoxgroup.com/products/
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

I agree it does look like an additive push but there are issues with E10 being hygroscopic hence why non compliant cars may/will suffer problems also for any compliant cars: "It is a hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water from the atmosphere, leading to condensation in fuel tanks if the car remains unused for long periods of time." which like others my RX-8 does especially in winter.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

The opening paragraph cripples the integrity of the article with the quote the condensation occurs when water vapour comes into contact with a warm surface when the world knows condensation occurs on cold surfaces! They may own Luxurious Magazine but come on “my wife and me”
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Condensation in fuel tanks is an issue if...
- the tank has a breather to atmosphere.
- there is a significant airspace above the fuel level.
- the atmosphere is damp.
- there are significant changes in ambient temperature.
- there are significant changes in ambient air pressure.

Get enough of these and it doesn't matter if the vehicle is being used or not; actually using a vehicle is often the greatest cause of temperature changes around the tank.

However, as with most modern cars, our tanks can breathe in but not breathe out, and the EVAP system maintains a positive air pressure above the fuel.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

Delanor wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:38 am
Is this for real E10 possibly freezing fuel lines.

Del.
Fun fact, we used to *add* ethanol to old SPi and carb systems on race cars to stop it freezing in the lines in the carb body, or even freezing the throttle body shut in the winter when idling or driving between stages.
Strange that their sh*t fuel additive advert claims the other way...
These users thanked the author RenesisRaceBuggy for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:20 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

...and then you have the ill-informed home modifies that remove the TB connection to the cooling system, whose sole purpose to prevent icing in the intake, and somehow think they're "adding powar"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Is everyone using just E10 fuel in their RX8 without problem although the RX-8 is deemed OK by Mazda to use it I wonder if that is still applicable on cars that are getting on 20 years old now.

Del.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I only use E10 car runs fine on it
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

I've stuck to E5 unleaded for 'reasons'. But I wouldn't have any concerns about putting E10 in.
Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member

Low emission E10 fuel

Post by Neilparry »

I’m running E5 normally Tesco momentum in my Daily Mx5 because it’s not compatible with E10. And not getting any difference in performance or mpg. So costing me 6-8p a litre more for the privilege.

These users thanked the author Neilparry for the post:
nightfire10 (Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:07 pm)
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

You should get a small improvement in mpg with E5 over E10, purely on the difference in fuel density as the E10 will flow more fuel for a given injector opening time
in my expierence its about 5% for a NA car , so tricky to spot on a 30mpg car as you should increase to 31.5mpg

basically if the fuel cost for E5 is more than 5% greater its not worth it ( from that point of view)
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
New Duke (Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:34 pm)
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

Its not because it has lower viscosity. It's because of "energy" density, ie to be more accurate more fuel is needed to meet the target lambda and the ECU will build fuel trims. You can see it on the OBD.

Premix at 1% changes the viscosity much much more (actually changes the viscosity significantly) yet its barely noticeable on construction since energy doesn't change.
These users thanked the author Milos_Balunovic for the post:
warpc0il (Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:39 pm)
Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Neilparry »

Driving the 5 is pretty much like driving the 8
Instead of waiting for the beep I’m looking at the red line which makes it difficult to get any economy out of her. 30 mpg I wish

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

350matt wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:24 pm
You should get a small improvement in mpg with E5 over E10, purely on the difference in fuel density as the E10 will flow more fuel for a given injector opening time
in my expierence its about 5% for a NA car , so tricky to spot on a 30mpg car as you should increase to 31.5mpg

basically if the fuel cost for E5 is more than 5% greater its not worth it ( from that point of view)
Your conclusion is correct but your reason is wrong - close but still wrong.

It isn't the mass density (weight/volume) or viscosity (resistance to flow) that's different, because they're (almost) exactly the same.

It's the energy density (energy/volume) that's poorer, which means it takes more fuel to create the same power.

Basically you get less of a bang for your buck.

In practice the PCM can't do much about that by changes in mapping, so the car is just that little down on power, as if the brakes were dragging slightly. Therefore, if your driving style and road conditions are the same, the fuel consumption suffers by about 5% - see I told you that you were right ;)

Edit: I'd written this before Milo's answer was posted, and then it sat waiting for me to hit the [Submit] button #-o
Still posting anyway, as it agrees with Milo's main point, just with different words.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Warp oil. The EVU/PCM can compensate for the lack of fuel.
The ecu maps target lambda.
Lambda will read leaner than target, ecu will adjust in closed loop and build LTF. Ltf is active even in open loop.

Lambda will read 1 at stoichiometry for what ever fuel is in it. Ie for petrol 14.7:1 for diesel 14.6:1 (or something like that) for ethanol 9.7:1...

The difference i. E10 E5 E0 , 100octane stoich is so little that ecu compensates for it without any problems.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

The RX8 ECU runs a set fuel trim in low rpm operations and idle. It doesn't flick over to AFR and lambda until up in the rev range and under high throttle applications IIRC.

As such if you want it to 'learn' how to run properly on E10 or E5 you need to do the fuel trim reset procedure by disconnecting the battery and having it re-learn the ST and LT fuel trims.

This'll cost way more in letting the 8 sit idling than you'd save by switching from one to the other, so may as well just have at it either way.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Sometimes the forum just needs the clarity that I can bring to certain issues. This is one of those times!

The science talk is fine but really what counts is:

E10 - contains more animal feed and food waste
E5 - contains more dinosaurs for a pitiful 5p more a litre (that's less than 5% of the pump price for anyone watching the pennies)

Dinosaurs are cooler than corn and rotten banana skins, therefore E5 wins. ;)

These users thanked the author New Duke for the post (total 2):
warpc0il (Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:26 am) • ChrisHolmes (Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:25 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

and there's me thinking that E10 is basically giving your engine tequila shots :beers:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:29 am
and there's me thinking that E10 is basically giving your engine tequila shots :beers:
We all know no one likes tequila, just like ethanol in petrol, it'll get you there but no one likes it having it
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:55 pm
The RX8 ECU runs a set fuel trim in low rpm operations and idle. It doesn't flick over to AFR and lambda until up in the rev range and under high throttle applications IIRC.

As such if you want it to 'learn' how to run properly on E10 or E5 you need to do the fuel trim reset procedure by disconnecting the battery and having it re-learn the ST and LT fuel trims.

This'll cost way more in letting the 8 sit idling than you'd save by switching from one to the other, so may as well just have at it either way.
The rx8 is in closed loop up to medium load and quite high rpm. While in closed loop the ecu is constantly chasing target lambda. (Why lambda and not afr is becouse the exhaust sensor feeds back lambda not afr, which is only used for aprox conversion of maf to required fuel, in mazda this is 13.7-13.8 something like that).
The closed loop will change the fuel trims constantly to adjust for any changes to the fuel, air filter etc. You dont need to do any resetting of the car.

As long as the ecu is running closed loop fuel trims are changing.

EDIT: the long idle is the adjustment only for the IDLE controls, ie choke, throttle opening and advance etc to maintain smooth idle. nothing more.
LTF learned here is only appplicable to this rpm/load and will be further adjusted by the "running" LTF's as well. and the idle LTF dont ever apply to high load and or high rpm areas.
These users thanked the author Milos_Balunovic for the post (total 2):
Steve.82 (Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 am) • ChrisHolmes (Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:27 pm)
Steve.82
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Steve.82 »

Would avoid chopping and changing between ethanol levels for this reason. LTFT is slooooow to change. Not a problem in closed loop as the STFT is fast to adapt, but did seem to effect open loop before I spent some time making mine entirely open loop. At least the stock map is so rich this will not leave it too lean flat out.
These users thanked the author Steve.82 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:27 pm)
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

are there any dyno runs chaps to show the delta between E5 and E10 on a rexi chaps ?
I mean we all know its fine on 95 octane and there's not benefit much to be had on 98

however the difference in ethanol content is quite recent ?
plus the Shell Vpower flavours of fuel contain more lubricant than the lower grades so potentially better for tip seal life
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:28 pm)