Place for discussions about the RX-8
Azimuth
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: JayEmm on Cars YT RX8 Review

Post by Azimuth »

I thought it was pretty fair, although calling the RX8 a "3 seater" is possibly one of the stupidest things every uttered about it....

It's always gratifying to see the car surprise someone and shatter the prejudice within the space of a half hour test drive.
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

I think what he was getting at with the three seater thing was the lack of space behind the driver if they’re of a certain size, which he seems to be...

I find his presenting style annoying but I think essentially he got the appeal of the car across quite well.
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

Rx8 definitely a 3 seater. Can confirm. :lol:
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Had 2 adults in the back of mine with no issues and I'm 5'10"
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
jackrhysgreenwood
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue
Has thanked: 0

Post by jackrhysgreenwood »

PaulAV wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:19 pm
5th gears review seemed very biased to me, like the guy down the pub sort of review, "I heard such and such so I don't like it" sort if thing. Matched a 4 seat coupe against a 2 seater on track.
Well fifth gear was always a bit sh*t, lets face it.
These users thanked the author jackrhysgreenwood for the post:
PaulAV (Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:12 pm)
stewartm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by stewartm »

Whilst I don't really disagree with the points being raised, I can't help thinking that the criticism is a bit harsh.

A little context: the RX8 is increasingly being bought by people who's budget extends to what they can get free with a meal deal at Tescos. One of the well known traders is getting out of the market partly for this reason. They have rapidly seen their trade move to being people bringing in completely knackered, bargain basement, Ebay specials, looking to cut every corner possible because they don't have the budget to look after the car.

I have seen a few of Jays vids, and as best I can tell, his target audience is relatively serious enthusiasts and petrol heads. Throughout the vid, he made it clear that he was reviewing it as an alternative to dropping 7-10kish on one of the well known and well regarded alternatives from the likes of Honda or Nissan.

For better or worse, he had no involvement from the club. I have no idea how these things normally work, but for all we know the vid came about because 'James' is a mate who pitched the idea over a beer and without that it wouldn't have happened at all. He also admitted that his opening position was to have the same lack of regard for the 8 as plenty of others do and thus never come and find out if it is justified. From there, he went on to produce a pretty positive advert and case for that demographic to take a second look. He made some excellent points in regards to the best way to go about this (i.e. worry about getting an excellent shell and then an engine rebuild to whatever spec you want). Yes he made what to us might seem laughable errors, even some of the usual, tired laughable errors, but if his video encourages some people with decent budgets and intentions to come and take another look at joining the community, I really don't see what there is not to like. Whether they choose to hang around after finding this thread is another matter. ;)

An RX8 YT channel would be great, and I really hope it happens, but 77K+ of his 78K of subscribers are probably unlikely to subscribe to it, without the likes of Jay producing videos that nudge them in our direction. Instead of listing what was wrong with it here, why not get in touch with Jay and have a friendly, positive chat and maybe he would do something in follow up with the club to make the video you would have preferred to see.
These users thanked the author stewartm for the post:
casey (Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:41 pm)
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Those are fair points. If a viewer ultimately wants RX8 reviews to endorse their own view of the car and drive people to buy one and join the tribe then that's totally understandable. Then Jay's video did a good job.

My own criticism was specifically at his level of research and prep. I personally don't mind whether he likes the car or not. But this is literally his day job and he professes in multiple videos to be a petrolhead and knowledgeable. That requires preparation and it shows when you're sloppy. For example, Doug DeMuro isn't perfect (nobody is right) but he puts a lot more research into every car he reviews and it shows. That's why he outputs less content. RCR's review of the 8 was downright negative, but it was still a well executed review. That was my own gripe anyway and why I unsubscribed after a long time of watching Jay's channel hoping he'd change when he went full-time. If people are happy with Jay's approach that's great for them, everybody is happy.

I have to disagree with this repeated advice that the 'best' way is to buy a clean RX8 and get a rebuild. Endorsing this continual buy-it-cheap race to the bottom. No wonder people then expect cheap parts and servicing. Alternatively, plenty of owners spent the same money overall buying rust-free examples with decent engines in the first place (like the R3 sold on the forum last week) and enjoy years of happy motoring. Way less hassle than getting a rebuild. Rebuilds are one option.

stewartm wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:17 pm
An RX8 YT channel would be great, and I really hope it happens, but 77K+ of his 78K of subscribers are probably unlikely to subscribe to it, without the likes of Jay producing videos that nudge them in our direction. Instead of listing what was wrong with it here, why not get in touch with Jay and have a friendly, positive chat and maybe he would do something in follow up with the club to make the video you would have preferred to see.
A good suggestion. A reaction video could also be easier and effective (YT's algorithm loves those). We haven't had the chance to announce anything yet. That'll be after the AGM. But the scope for the Club YT channel will be as a resource/treat for members and existing rotor lovers. Not as a promotional tool to convert people. Although if somebody wants to do that I'm sure they'd be welcomed with open arms.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:55 am)
stewartm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by stewartm »

Also some fair points.

I think on reflection it very much depends on what prism you are viewing it through. I tried to watch it from the POV of one of his subscribers, who probably would never have been in the market for an 8 and so would have been unlikely to hunt out 8 content. Appreciate that looking from the angle of someone down the line searching for historic content specifically with an interest, it may look different.

As for the buying advice, well I am not sure there is an established 'best' route. However for a buyer who might rightly or wrongly have the view that finding both a rust free example married to a good engine is a bit of a gamble, then the recommendation is a good one. If it gets another good example on the road in the hands of someone with cash to spend, who cares about it, where otherwise they would have been driving something entirely different, I reckon that is a good thing.

EDIT: :oops: Sorry, fail on my part for failing to recall it was me wot used the word 'best' :(
These users thanked the author stewartm for the post:
New Duke (Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:30 pm)
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

The overall impression he left of the car was very positive and that can only be a good thing for encouraging people into ownership.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
Craig010
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by Craig010 »

I agree that the overall impression I felt while watching was definitely positive, which considering how much bad press our cars have for one reason or another, can only be a good thing. As others have said, the facts may not be 100%, and that particular example may not be the best one out there (although it's nowhere near some of the worst ones!), but if you were watching this as a passer-by with little real knowledge of the RX8, or even as a potential purchaser, it would increase my interest in the car and certainly wouldn't put me off.