Place for discussions about the RX-8
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: New safety recall notice - fuel tank

Post by PaulAV » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:19 pm

I would of thought they have to keep them, A) so they can't be reused and it fail and B) as proof of replacement.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
goodeggbob (Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 am)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, custom stainless steel grills, Ryan rotary performance coils & sohn, high spec rear drop links, HME engine rebuild at 50k, Borla exhaust, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension & spoiler, japspeed rear toe arms & hardrace rear lower camber arms.

goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks Paul,i will ask the question though,i do have a perfectly good pair here ,so will probably swap them anyway.

dac69er
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by dac69er » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 am

they wont let you keep them. supposedly they go back to mazda. i asked when i took mine in a couple of years back.
These users thanked the author dac69er for the post:
goodeggbob (Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:37 am)

WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by WildMan10 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm

The .Gov website tells me that my 2010 R3 has a recall listed from 08 February, 2 days ago, so I await something from Mazda.

However, checking on the Mazda website using my VIN I see that this may be for the airbag recall that I've had done.
2020-02-10 (2).png
2020-02-10 (2).png
Attachments
2020-02-10 (3).png
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3, plus a Honda Accord winter car. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:18 pm

It takes a while for Mazda database to get updated and even longer for that to filter through to VOSA
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:13 pm

Well ,kuro1 went into Furrows of Shrewsbury today for 2 fuel issues and 2 airbag issues.The service was faultless,the staff were very helpful and the car was ready in about 4hrs. So went to pick it up in the 04 rx that needs the above plus front suspension arms,and left that with them and drove the kuro home with none of the scare stories i have heard on here at other dealerships.
i will be very interested to see how they get on with 16yrs of rusty bolts in the bushes,but based on todays performance ,nothing is to much trouble.
I would highly recommend this dealership to anyone within spitting distance of Shrewsbury,thanks,rob.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:36 pm

goodeggbob wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:13 pm
I would highly recommend this dealership to anyone within spitting distance of Shrewsbury,thanks,rob.
viewforum.php?f=50
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks Dave, today this dealership completed what i would consider a very routine task on my car for a [fitter] who is trained to do this.
The second car involves actually getting their hands dirty,and possibly having to use some old fashioned [mechanic] skills,which,in my opinion will show whether my faith in them is justified.
i will hold back adding them to the list you have highlighted,until i have my 2nd car back,at which point i hope to be singing their praises,thanks,rob.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Fairy nuff :nod:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Just dropped my 8 off at Ballyroberts Mazda.
2" of snow in their customer parking area, so no way to tell if I'm between the lines.
The courtesy car was "one of the white ones" - as every car outside was white :) Turned-out to by a Mazda 2 :(

They said they were confident that they knew what they're doing and "Have done loads of these already".

However, the Service Manage didn't have a clue when I mentioned that my car has Eibach option springs, which lowers the ride-height, so it will be a different row on the table for setting the castor etc.

This resulted in a blank look and he checked within the workshop, who advised that "they have one set of numbers for all RX-8s, 'cos they have standard suspension" :shock: #-o [-X

I pointed-out that every non-JDM RX-8 that they have seen will have had Sports Suspension (as standard) and they should be checking the ride height and using the correct table.

Another blank look and I offered to print off the section of the workshop manual, which they were happy for me to do, and we then went through it with a highlighter.

They don't have the laser alignment kit on-site and "use a tyre place down the road to set the tracking".
Maybe the guys in the tyre place know what they're doing and ignore the "one set of numbers" that the dealer supplies, or maybe they've just been doing what they're told :pale:

Apparently "the car should feel different after the suspension arms have been replaced".
I asked "Why's that then?" and all he could say was "New parts" #-o

It's going to be difficult to tell if they've screwed-up the alignment when we come to pick the car up, especially if there's still snow on the ground, unless the front is 2" higher than it should be or the wheels are obviously pointing in different directions.

We will at least fill the fuel tank while we're still in the area and check for leaks... [-o<
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 pm

Not sounding promising Dave :(

I still haven't booked mine in for recall work, and you are not helping ;) :D
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
nightfire10 (Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:41 pm)
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 pm

It took a load of brave pills, especially with the AGM meeting coming up and the ferry booked... :roll:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Yorindesarin
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Yorindesarin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Ooft good luck Dave.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Had a phone call just before 10 this morning to say "your car is really for collection".

We arrived at the dealers just after 12, sorted all the paperwork and the receptionist went to show us where the car was parked, only it wasn't, and she could find it :shock:

After a bit of panic among the staff it became clear that reception had been told that their workshop had finished with the car, but not that it was then going off-site to have the suspension alignment set #-o

This was booked for a 1pm slot but, after a phone call, they discovered that the alignment place was running behind today, and it would be "at least 2" before our car was ready.

Give them their due, the dealer staff were suitably embarrassed and gave me back the keys to the courtesy car, so we could go off and have lunch.

After lunch, and being plied with lots free coffee and biscuits, I managed to talk them into giving me a copy of the Warranty Invoice that they send to Mazda for the work - something that the customer would normally never see. See https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... 1#p1250841 for some interesting reading.

The car was finally ready just before 3pm and was parked outside the front door clean and shiny, having been valeted inside and out.
There was no marks from having the airbag replaced.
The front ride-height was fine and the steering felt okay, as best as I could judge on greasy roads in the traffic.
The fuel gauge was reading ¼, as I'd left it.
We immediately drove to the nearest petrol station and filled the tank, which then read FULL and there were no visible leaks underneath or petrol smells inside the cabin :D

Overall, apart from having to pay £28 to insure their "courtesy car", and the cock-up over when my car was actually ready, it all seems to have gone rather well.

Shiny new lower suspension arm
20200212_154944.jpg
Anyone else that still needs to have their recalls done in NI, BallyRoberts Mazda know what they're doing, even with the alignment setting - now they have the marked-up copy of the manual section [-X
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Reloy
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Reloy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 pm

Just booked mine into Wessex Mazda Bristol for its recalls next Wednesday, sounds like they've had a bit of practice now. Passenger Airbag, Drivers Airbag, Fuel Tank, Lower Arm Ball Joint, and a fifth one I didn't know about.
Rotary Revs Rebuild
Uprated Starter
K&N air filter
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Bilstein B8 Shocks
RR D585 Coils
Magnecor Leads
Aero Kit

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:15 pm

There are two related recalls for the fuel tank, that's how it comes to five total.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Reloy (Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Well,Furrows of Shrewsbury have completed the arm swap and fuel issues plus alignement to a very good standard. Although they had the car for 5 days,a lot of time was spent waiting for parts.
I would certainly recommend them for recall work,as nothing seems to be to much trouble,although,i bet they won't want to see lower arms again any time soon,rob.

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”