Forum Guest
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Living with a RX-8

Post by Zchef »

Hi All

I have owned my PZ for about 9 months now and for the most part I have loved it. Honestly one of the most fun cars I have ever driven.

It is suffering from low compression But I have always known this and always intended to have the engine rebuilt.

The problem I am having is I only use the car at most twice a week and I am finding if I leave the car for say 8-9 days it requires jump starting. I have put a new varta e23 battery which helped for a while but it’s now happening again.

So I suppose my question is...does this keep happening because of the low compression means it needs so much juice to get going or is this always going to be something I have to learn to live with?

Thanks in advance
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: Living with a RX-8

Post by Lemon »

have you checked to see that the boot is shut properly, the boot can get left open and th light drains the battery

also how far are you driving the car when you do take it out?
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
Zchef
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Zchef »

I will double check the boot but I use it most times as have two little girls who come out with me so there is always something that needs to go in the boot.

I always try and take it out for a minimum of half an hour even if it means taking the scenic route so to speak...
GraemeC
Club Member
Club Member

Post by GraemeC »

Welcome!

My PZ is a weekend car and only gets driven twice a month or so. It starts no problem after sitting for two weeks, sometimes more
(although I always drive a decent distance when I take it out)

Sounds like you have a power drain or the battery may be past its best.
If the battery is more than a couple of years old, definitely worth checking - I used to have a Range Rover and 80% of peoples starting issues were battery related due to them being 5+ years old.....

Good luck getting it sorted!
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: Zchef. :D As the battery is new and it is a good one it sounds to me like you're just not driving it far enough to re-charge it properly. Make your at least a half hour drive an hour and go the really pretty way. I'd imagine someone who knows far more than me will be along to say things about checking belts, the alternator and so on ...
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

A new battery isn't guaranteed to be fully charged when purchased, just remember that, also half an hour drive might just about put the charge into the battery that was used to start the car, especially this time of the year when you're using lights, heater and wipers. But you might want to get the car checked for a parasitic drain.
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
98of400
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by 98of400 »

If you have access to mains power this might be the way to go. Charges your battery and then keeps it topped up (trickle charge) so will be ready for when you use the car. I have one and it works well.

CTEK MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic Battery Charger (Charges, Maintains and Reconditions Car and Motorcycle Batteries) 12V, 5 Amp - UK Plug

Last edited by 98of400 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Techathy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by Techathy »

Zchef wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 am
I always try and take it out for a minimum of half an hour even if it means taking the scenic route so to speak...
With the same sort of usage pattern, my Evora slowly becomes more and more reluctant to start. In fact with a 20-minute each way commute the problem becomes worse, not better. A +2 hour run or a long charge makes everything good for 3-6 weeks. Okay, this is on a different car with a much smaller battery but given how long it takes a RX-8 to start (1-2 seconds rather than you can't release the key fast enough) I'd assume the same issue.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

My PZ pre rebuild was showing 4's in one cylinder before I had it rebuilt and it would normally start although did take a few seconds sometimes. Mine is similarly a weekend car.

After 8-9 days I would expect it to be ok, so check the battery drain and also of you can disable the internal alarm to save juice.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

mine got into the (low!) 3’s with no starting problems at all..... until it did, spectacularly :D
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Lemon wrote:have you checked to see that the boot is shut properly, the boot can get left open and th light drains the battery

also how far are you driving the car when you do take it out?
I recently realised that while the car will lock via the remote with the boot open the indicators don't flash. Quick way to figure out if it's open.