Place for discussions about the RX-8
Finalboss
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

exhaust set up with no drone

Post by Finalboss »

I finally collected my r3 yesterday and its far to quiet for me, so looking at exhausts I think a pettit racing with a racing beat dual res set up would be ideal. Has anyone ran this set up that can comment on how loud this would be, I dont want it ridiculously loud and I dont want drone on the motorway!
rameshr
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: exhaust set up with no drone

Post by rameshr »

I will be selling my RB dual res decat, I had it on with RB single exhaust it’s too loud for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
M3 E92

OLD Car
Half-Bridge Engine
Lightened Fly + Clutch
Whiteline ARB's + Droplinks
Brake Upgrade 4 pot front
AEM Intake
D969 Coils
BlackDiamond Disc + M1144 Pads
YellowSpeed Suspension
Dwell timers adjusted
Short Shifter
Braided Brake + Clutch Lines
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

I have the Milltek with their high flow cat as well. It does not drone. It is loud when you open it up. Depending on where you are based I’m sure you could go and hear one for yourself. I’m based in London
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
Finalboss
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Finalboss »

delta0 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:10 pm
I have the Milltek with their high flow cat as well. It does not drone. It is loud when you open it up. Depending on where you are based I’m sure you could go and hear one for yourself. I’m based in London
as long as it doesn't drone it can be as loud as it wants haha!
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I've got a Ryan rotary performance high flow cat, with a borla system fitted and it's extremely noticeable, without droning. The cat is 3 inch pipe as is the borla, I would recommend the cat (they also do resonated decats, but I dislike the smell)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Be aware that that an S1 catback exhaust won't fit an R3 without serious remodelling, e.g. cut and welding.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

Finalboss wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:11 pm
delta0 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:10 pm
as long as it doesn't drone it can be as loud as it wants haha!
You will be fine with the Milltek then. Zero drone. It will sound like a race car when you are on it! Not one for an early morning start unless you keep the revs down
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Embrace the loud I say
I have a toyo catback with a sports 200 Cell cat and a removed mid silencer, mainly because it fell apart
at first I thought hmmm a bit loud

but after a while you go deaf and its no longer troubling..... ;-)

but actually its only loud when you're on it on a motorway cruise its fine and adds some sports car sound
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

If the aim is to hear it, then you'll get much more audible sound with intake roar.
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

but all the aftermarket intakes b'gger up the MAF calibration and there's no power improvement over the stock intake
Scotty PZ
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by Scotty PZ »

Finalboss wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:57 pm
I finally collected my r3 yesterday and its far to quiet for me, so looking at exhausts I think a pettit racing with a racing beat dual res set up would be ideal. Has anyone ran this set up that can comment on how loud this would be, I dont want it ridiculously loud and I dont want drone on the motorway!
I have this set up in my large street port PZ, it drones, oh how it drones, but only above 3500rpm, before that it is civilised. It sounds epic, especially at full chat, you get big flames and pops when you drive enthusiastically.
Galaxy Grey PZ number 24.
Large street port. Lots of flames, lots of smiles.
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

I used to have full petitt double resonated decat and cat back amazing sound no drone
Current setup is rb dual resonated decat and cobra back boxes didn't test it on track yet.

My younger days toyo decat and hks single this was to to to loud
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
Finalboss
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Finalboss »

Scotty PZ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:16 pm
Finalboss wrote:
I have this set up in my large street port PZ, it drones, oh how it drones, but only above 3500rpm, before that it is civilised. It sounds epic, especially at full chat, you get big flames and pops when you drive enthusiastically.
Maby due to the street port?
osman
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by osman »

I'm seeing opposite, had a pettit catback on with kks sports cat and rb manifold and was very droney on the motorway
Racing beat on the other hand was nice and quiet when cruising and loud up top
Scotty PZ
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by Scotty PZ »

Finalboss wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:58 pm
Scotty PZ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:16 pm
Finalboss wrote:
Maby due to the street port?
Potentially, don't get me wrong, it's fine, but on the motorway for 2 hours I was starting to look at lorrys to smack into to make it end. For upto an hour or so it is sporty and purposeful.
Galaxy Grey PZ number 24.
Large street port. Lots of flames, lots of smiles.
Vian
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Vian »

osman wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:03 pm
I'm seeing opposite, had a pettit catback on with kks sports cat and rb manifold and was very droney on the motorway
Racing beat on the other hand was nice and quiet when cruising and loud up top
I've got the KKS sports cat, with PZ Scorpion exhaust and standard elsewhere. Zero drone whatever, so I doubt it's the cat that's the culprit.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Two other things can make a significant difference to the volume levels, harshness and tendency to drone;
- how the catback is mounted - if the joint at the rear of the cat is stiff or even locked solid, then a lot more harshness is transmitted to the body and the resonance of the system is changed (not volume related but the "ring" of of pipework) This also puts a lot more stain on the engine mounts and transmission mounts. Similarly if the rubber mounts have hardened then they also transmit more to the body and the loading between them becomes uneven. Both of these is a simple and cheap fix.
- even cheaper and simpler is how much an what you carry in the boot. An empty boot, or one with just hard things, will act as an echo chamber. I full boot, or soft(er) things will absorb sound.

A split gearbox rubber gaiter, the one you can't see from inside the cabin, will not only make the gearbox sound noisy but can also transmit more exhaust noise, depending how it's split.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
AndyBrad
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by AndyBrad »

I got one made to suit my r3. Its great. fit is perfect and its just the right level of noise i wanted.
osman
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by osman »

Vian wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 pm

I've got the KKS sports cat, with PZ Scorpion exhaust and standard elsewhere. Zero drone whatever, so I doubt it's the cat that's the culprit.
Should've said I meant the catback not sports cat, pettit is much louder than rb catback
These users thanked the author osman for the post:
Vian (Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 pm)
chiron
Former Member
Former Member

Post by chiron »

Mine is 2005 231 with toyosport catback, gutted OEM cat, toyosport tubular manifold, AEM copy intake. Its been MAF scaled and mapped and will spit flames in 3rd gear over-run. It drones at around 3500 but isnt too bad. I've added extra sound insulation in the boot which helps.

I'm about to fit an RB dual resonated midpipe which should shut it up a bit more.
Have a good time, all the time :thumright:
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

I had the Pettit with the RB dual res pipe.
Was generally excellent and very amusing with the pop and bang remap but mine boomed at 3000 - 3500 rpm with any throttle, otherwise excellent. Unfortunately that rpm is right where you are when on a busy M'way, so just the slightest throttle to speed up a little once the lorries are out of the way made it silly loud for not much acceleration and made me look a tit. Get it through to 4000, lovely, below 3000 quiet.

I ended up swapping the Pettit out for the RB Revi 8 cat back - much deeper tone and far quieter generally but still nice sound when pushing on. No more booming at any rpm. You can also clean the tips on the RB.
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Some great replies in this thread IMHO.

I have come to the conclusion it’s a very personal thing because our ears and perceptions are so variable.

I’m an old guy so my hearing may be be degraded.

But Miltek used my R3 as the development car for the R3 version of the exhaust, along with the Petit hi flow cat.

They thought it sounded great, but Cheryl refused to come in the car because it hurt her ears. After a couple of hours in the car it hurt mine, too.

The Miltek engineers went out in the car with me with sound level meters, etc and didn’t seem to get abnormal spl readings, but both of us still found it quite unpleasant in practice.

To my ears the Petit catback became significantly more tolerable when I replaced the hi flow cat with the original Mazda cat. Still pretty loud, and a bit droney at motorway speeds, but tolerable and great when at full chat. (I think Robbie attributed the potential for drone to the revised gearing in the R3, from memory?)

if I just drove around town, I found the Petit catback and hi flow to be just about ok volume-wise.

But remember some other people love it at all speeds.

When I got my new Mazda cat it all quietened down considerably more.

As Dave said, anything that reduces the air volume in the boot, so changing and damping its resonant frequency and Q can be a real help!

Though whether you want to drive around with a duvet in your boot (which actually works very well and doesn’t weigh anything) all the time is another question ...

I think like some of the earlier posts said, it’s probably a really good idea to try and get a lift in someone’s car if you can, to calibrate your idea of what sporty sound is to other people’s?
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends