Former Member

Re: New Coilovers to replace Cusco’s

Post by mi60o0 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:34 pm
mi60o0 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:30 pm
Bloody hell I want this to I hope I will have it before summer
Don't forget that the nut behind the wheel needs uprating too!
Very true is any black hair left on your head after your passanger laps with me. If some left I will make sure I will make it grey by winter fella xxx
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:42 pm)
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Just a bit more on the Active EDFC.

As far as I can see based on tinkering today there are 9 or 10 memory slots for ‘passive’ settings, where you key in what level of damping you want front and back, and it dials those in for you. This is shown in the first picture, below, repeated twice - apologies.

These are the ones Josh selected for me as a ‘get you home’ option, with the EDFC Active set to 16 levels, though you can choose up to 64.

Then separate to these there are 2 sets of memory slots for the active suspension settings; G-Force and Speed (the latter only if you have the optional GPS, which would to me seem very worthwhile).

In both G-Force and Speed there are 2 options, basically ‘normal’ or ‘sporty’ (Tein seem to use various words to describe these) and these are shown in the tables below.

These are the G-Force table, and the Speed Table. Shown are the default values, but you can change them all if you want.
F64B1376-6061-4AF3-86DD-0831F41E4607.png
F64B1376-6061-4AF3-86DD-0831F41E4607.png
If you look at the speed table (this is th3 SECOND table below) in the first column labelled Ft (Front) and within that column the first number in the N/N/N format, that’s the level of damping applied when the system is at the 16-level damping option.

So you can see that (in Sporty mode) when the car is going 0-24 mph (mph is in the last column) damping is set at 10, whereas when the car is doing 65 or more, it’s set at 6; noticeably stiffer IME.

As you drive along and your speed varies (based on the readings taken from the GPS module), the damping changes automatically to match that table (and you can change the values in the table to anything you want)

If you now look at the G-Force table (the FIRST table below), it has a similar structure to the Speed Table, but there’s more values and the last column shows not Speed but G-Force, in the first 5 rows its braking and the next 5 rows for acceleration. Note how much added stiffness is applied under braking v acceleration.

All of the N/N/N values in this table are shown as minus and (As I understand it) show the amount of damping being added at specific G-Forces (I think this all shows as negative because level 0 is as hard as the damping gets, and so to reduce (For example) dive under braking At 0.55g in the Dynamic mode the damping is moved 6 units toward zero from the level set in the Speed table.

Which means, I think, that if you’re doing 66 mph or more (and using the defaults In the tables) damping is set at 6, and you enter a sharpish corner at that speed and so g force gets to 0.55 or greater, the damping will be Automatically increased by 6 units which means it’ll be (whilst those conditions persist) set as hard as it can go (ie 0) to resist dive and roll.

And this all just happens smoothly, automatically and transparently, without any input from the driver, once you have selected which set of options you want. You just get to enjoy the benefit of all that good stuff happening in the Teins.

Clive, or anyone else, please correct me if I’m wrong here, but this seems to fit with my early subjective driving impressions.

And all this more complicated stuff is easily chosen and changed in the controller by selecting G1 or G2 (G-Force) and S1 or S2 (Speed) (so just 4 options) which in combination dial in the correct values from the tables into the operation of the suspension.

All very cool, IMHO :thumleft:

I’ve been doing some final tweaking (and rustproofing etc) today so still no further driving impressions, other than to say you really can feel the effects of all the above in a very positive and natural way in the car.

But tomorrow or Tuesday, a good blast beckons. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Sounds complicated but excellent! Cant want to get these now
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

I think part of what’s so neat is that all that complicated stuff is wrapped up in just 4 options (2 speed, 2 g-force) and you simply select one of each, taking all of a couple of seconds at most ... :D
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

With those 4 options can you adjust the lowest soft setting incase it's too soft or are those values set in stone? #-o

I shouldn't but I may even bite the bullet and get the edfc before my double trackday at the Nurburgring in April. :-k
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

That sounds like a really good idea to me, to be honest ... it’s a very unforgiving track, isn’t it? The earlier you make any changes the more time you have to get comfortable with them and learn how best to use them safely ‘in anger’.

You can change any of the values in the tables that you want to, the ones shown are purely defaults.

So you can make the minimum damping ‘almost rock-hard’ and the maximum ‘totally rock-hard’ at different speeds to the defaults if that’s what you need, and / or change the amount of g-force damping compensation, and at what level it’s applied (say instead of 6 at 0.55g, it could be 5 at 0.4g, or whatever ...).

Though there are some bumpy bits from memory on the Nurburgring (e.g. Carousel), and that might be worth Considering when thinking about how hard to go?

I’m sure Clive could give you some really interesting advice around this ...
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Yep, it definitely seems like a bit of kit that needs time to learn. :study:

The monosport alone are superb from what Ive experience so far with them on road and track but are a nuisance to keep manually adjusting when needed. As mentioned, I always had the edfc active pro on my list to get but think it is overkill and the edfc active will be good enough..

Now time to resist the impulse buy over the christmas holidays and be sensible :shock:

Look forward to reading your update on your next. drive :race: :thumright:
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Some feedback from a 100+ mile drive from East to West (backroad feedback to follow soon).

The thing that struck me with the Active EDFC engaged was just how much better-balanced the car was.

With the Cusco’s, and also with the Tein’s in ‘passive’ mode, my car (others ‘8’s may be different, of course) has a clear tendency to understeer, and so getting to the apex of corners / roundabouts is often something of a struggle.

With the Active EDFC engaged and chattering away quietly to itself, using just the default G2+S2 settings, that tendency to understeer seems Effectively washed away.

The car is just much more neutrally balanced.

But it doesn’t feel like it’s the Teins doing a load of ‘stuff’ and techno jiggery-pokery under the hood (even though they are 😉) the car just feels naturally better balanced. How neat 👌

Hitting an apex when and where you aim to suddenly seems much, much easier. And IME you can do it at better speed and with significantly more confidence.

That’s just on main roads, fast roundabouts, etc. .... and that vicious slip road at Stoke on Trent on to the M6 (which was utterly transformed 👍🏻)

So I very much look forward to the B roads with anticipation 😁, ... and then fiddling with the G and S defaults to find out what a personally optimal set up looks like.

Really bowled over by how good these things are 😳
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Good stuff...... looking forward to the Back roads feedback
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

On the basis of this excellent review I wonder if there is a potential group buy price based on 5 or 10 sets in one order!
Santa if you are reading this, we have all been very good this year,
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post (total 2):
Mpv2k3 (Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:58 pm) • 30405 (Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:09 am)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231

Post by Scartlead »

Me too, promise :)
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

That would be good but I doubt it was possible
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

This is the follow-up, after another 700 or so miles.

In summary, fantastic. :thumleft:

You can set it nice and comfy in town, and nice and firm out of it, and the EDFC active will just respond totally reliably.

As for bendy roads, it seems because at speed the nose doesn’t dip anything like so much under braking or the car roll so much, and the balance is so much more neutral, you really can brake rather later, take a much better line without feeling you’re fighting the car, and get the power on significantly earlier out of the corners.

And in a way what’s best of all, is you can definitely appreciate and enjoy all this at entirely road-legal speeds ... though it helps if the roads are empty as it’s so much easier to take optimum lines. A drive to Swindon at 3:00am this morning was a total joy 😁

So IMHO highly recommended and a really big thanks to Clive (MAZDA Rotary Parts) for the inspired advice based on real experience, and Josh and team at Rotary Revs for the fab fitting, which has worked great!!

Am still tinkering as far as optimum set-up goes ... updates to follow on that, but the defaults are a great place to start, it seems.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Good write up, they sound superb!

Where did you install the control monitor?

Also, did clive say he used the edfc active with gps or the active pro?
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

Mpv2k3 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:51 am
Good write up, they sound superb!

Where did you install the control monitor?

Also, did clive say he used the edfc active with gps or the active pro?
Active with GPS I believe.
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by Clive »

Active with GPS. I explained to Rod that this was what was need for a great set up and spending more money on the more expensive kits was just not required. I also told him that as far as I was aware, the only other kit on the market like this is offered by Porsche as an accessory for 6K without fitting !
These users thanked the author Clive for the post:
Mpv2k3 (Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:51 pm)
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

I am so tempted by this remote control system which most race cars have fitted these days but being so cheap I had my doubts about their reliability in long term use and so stuck with my manual Ohlins, but hearing that Clive has this fitted to his race car and has had no problems is a game changer!

If any of you who have this fitted could give me a passenger ride to experience this in action, I would be very grateful; I need to experience the change time and effectiveness in person before splashing out.

Ranjan.
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by Clive »

Ranjan wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:31 pm
I am so tempted by this remote control system which most race cars have fitted these days but being so cheap I had my doubts about their reliability in long term use and so stuck with my manual Ohlins, but hearing that Clive has this fitted to his race car and has had no problems is a game changer!

If any of you who have this fitted could give me a passenger ride to experience this in action, I would be very grateful; I need to experience the change time and effectiveness in person before splashing out.

Ranjan.
Five years after fitting this on the race car, I can safely say its reliable also we have sold many of these kits with no issues.

The other great thing is that the RX-8 has such a great sensitive chassis, even the smallest of differences make a big difference if you want to dial out oversteer or understeer and its helped the car achieve results I may not have during races . :mrgreen:

I would have lost just a little bit of time if I came into the pits for a damper adjustment during a race :lol: :lol:
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

From reading up it looks like the Pro kit adds lateral auto adjustment so that it varies the settings from left and right hand sides of the car depending on cornering force. Does it add anything else?

From reading all the above the edfc certainly sounds like an amazing piece of kit and although a high cost it looks great value for money
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Been up to Rotary Revs this weekend after giving the Tein’s a few weeks to settle.

Josh sorted the ride height (now somewhat lower than when I had the Cusco’s, as the Tein Active gives me more controllable damping and the spring rates are 2x that of the Cusco’s) and kindly did a full 4 wheel alignment on RR’s wheel alignment system to optimise the feel and handling.

When he did this on Cheryl’s MX5 it transformed the the car, making it feel so much more planted. And he definitely hasn’t lost his touch based on a 130 mile drive in the ‘8 at 3:30am this morning.... utterly delightful 😄👍🏻

So here we are with the new ride height (I’ll be in drug-dealer territory if I carry on at this rate, ... just have to remember to turn the bass up 😁) and a picture of the TEIN active install which, as I don’t really want to look at the Tein all the time is, for me, in the perfect place. Easily adjustable but not in my face.

I should stress the cable you can see is mine; it’s a right-angled lightning connector there to power the iPhone.
5EB311BA-D6BD-45F5-A71E-BB886D594269.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author RX8R3Rod for the post:
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:59 pm)
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

FYI I have just had one of my TEIN mono flex units fully tested by TEIN and the spring and damper rates were spot on. Not bad after over 30k miles since fitting in 2008. Real fit and forget kit!
Rotary History;

RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Wow, that’s pretty darn impressive Chris (not to mention the fact that you can actually get that measured by Tein :thumright: )
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

I had returned it as the click adjuster had seized and I snapped it off! Also 3 of the 4 bolts attached the pillow ball to the top cup sheered off when I tried to remove them.
The day the unit arrived at TEIN they removed the click adjuster and the sheared bolt remains then Carrie£ out the test as mentioned above.
The charge? £10 to cover the return shipping. Thanks to this thread regarding the EDFC Active kit I finished up paying a tad more than the £10 and the parcel should arrive tomorrow!
Rotary History;

RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

That’s some serious after-sales service 😳👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Techathy
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by Techathy »

RX8R3Rod wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 am
That’s some serious after-sales service 😳👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
And a great way to sell more units as I know who I'll be purchasing my coil overs from when I get around to it! :thumleft:
These users thanked the author Techathy for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 am)