RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

New Coilovers to replace Cusco’s

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Having had my RX8 and Cheryl’s MX5 re-reustproofed at Rustbuster in Spalding (IME they really know their stuff, with a combined 50+ years experience in metal coatings and rust management and prevention) they noticed this on the ‘8 ...
A7E7B96F-FD46-4E47-920D-1BEFD968A8CF.jpeg
I’d also noticed that the damping was not as effective as before, with the car wallowing just a tad, rather than having that really lithe, ‘taut’ feel over bumps and dips.

Given I’ve had the Cusco’s for over 100,000 miles and almost 10 years (during which time they’ve been 100% reliable, and given us a great driving experience) they don’t really owe me too much, and I decided to explore a potential replacement.

The Tein Monosport with Active EDFC looked interesting, and Clive at MRP had very positive experience of using them on both road and track.

The Active EDFC looks particularly interesting, with continuously variable active damping based on speed / g-force, and the ability to still manually set it to ‘rock-hard’ to get over speed bumps and the like from within the cabin.

Sooo ... I’ve done the deed (big thanks to Clive and Lisa at MRP for arranging super-speedy delivery before Friday) and I’ll be at Ben’s on Friday as Josh has v kindly offered to fit them at v v short notice (so a big thanks to Rotary Revs, too).

It’ll be interesting to see how they compare to the Cusco’s, as the spring rates are significantly higher ... and the damping range much greater.

Updates to follow :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Re: New Coilovers to replace Cusco’s

Post by kopite72 »

Hi Rod, great to see you back posting regularly on here :D love the way you constantly invest in your car, it's very commendable =D>

You'll be very happy with the Active Tein's methinks, looking forward to your write up/review regarding them :D

The best R3 on the planet just got a little bit better ;)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Nice to see you posting again Rod :thumleft:

Having had the Tein Mono's on my car (but without EDFC) for many years and around 50 track days, I don't think you will be disappointed :D
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Thank you Gents, it’s such warm comments that make the club such a nice place to be! 👍🏻

I really could have done without the expense just at the moment... but in truth The Cusco’s have done really well and I am looking forward to trying the Teins. And in that context your comments make me feel much more confident, so are v much appreciated thanks 😊

All power to Josh ar RR for fitting them. The hardest bit I have is to work out where to put the controller, and that seems hard enough!

On the Active EDFC (though not the Pro) it apparently has to be within 45 degrees of the front of the car in all axes ... so no lying it flat, it seems ... Doh!
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

Try the EDFC in the space below the radio knob which is where mine was mounted it's really about the only sensible place given the criteria although mine was not the active variety. Also good choice on the Teins they served me well for at least 8 years and are still on the car now.
Now a distant memory unfortunately.
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

It will good to see how you get on with the edfc as I have Monosports but no edfc
My thinking was that it was a bit gimmicky but would be happy to be proven wrong (although my wallet wouldn’t)
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the Edfc.... I also have the monosport and love them.
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Hi all, your thoughts and inputs, on the Teins in general, their characteristics and longevity, and where to put the controller, etc are v much appreciated! 😊

It helps a lot, and I’m getting really quite excited about tomorrow, and the longish drive back home!

I did wonder about the Active EDFC and whether it’s pretty much just a gimmick or not. 😄

I almost went for th3 Active Pro, as I’ve always fancied a fully ‘active’ suspension.

Though I am aware of the ‘goes like a bat out of hell around corners, until without any warning you suddenly find yourself in a hedge’ effect that F1 drivers of yore reported.

Still, if semi-active turns out to be just the business, apparently it can be upgraded to full Active for around £200 or so.

I guess we’ll see on that one ... 🤔
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by Clive »

Rod, I am sure you wont need any sort of upgrade as you have the extra GPS sensor incorporated in the kit.

The built-In G-Sensor allows G-actuated automatic adjustment of damping force while driving. Additional automatic speed-sensitive damping force adjustment feature is available with the use of optional "GPS kit"

If you set the system to auto it will learn once you have done a lap and then self adjust for not only cornering but also braking as well.

The system is certainly not a gimmick and I can honestly say that being able to adjust due to changing track conditions or simply change the understeer or oversteer characteristics of the car while I am actually racing, at times has made the difference between winning and losing :mrgreen:

(If you have seen the last Donnington wet race where the car was faster than anything else on the track, this was helped by being able to adjust the dampers to a "wet setting" on the line)

The RX-8 is such a great chassis that even minor damper adjustments using the EDFC system can make a huge difference :thumleft: :thumleft:

I have said to Tein they really should promote this soooo much more than they do.
The only other "bolt on" system I have ever heard of is made as an accessory for Porsche and that costs £6000 !!
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Thanks for that Clive, you are really tempting me now knowing that a racer finds the edfc to be of benefit.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Rod, so you got the Edfc active + gps?
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

I have pretty much the same set up. Great bit of kit, the EDFC system feels solid and proper quality made to, not your usual cheap plastic crap or wiring.

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=71003&p=1114265&h ... t#p1114265
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader

Post by Clive »

Had mine on the Race Car for 5 years now with no issues :)
REgards
Clive

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Clive, do you have the pro version or just the active + gps?
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Josh and Co are apparently on the finishing straight; they’ve been at it all day, and are looking pretty tired to my eyes. A biiiig thanks to them!!!

Looking forward to trying it out.

I doubt a drive on the M62 and A1 going home will tell me too much, but tomorrow hello Lincolnshire back-roads :-)

And how cool that, if you want it, you can get individual control of each strut (bearing in mind those cautionary old F1 tales of fully active suspensions) for not so much extra cash?

As Clive suggests a facility like this at this sort of price seems a relative absolute bargain! (If such a thing is possible :-) )
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Oops, missed the question ... sorry!

I have Monosports with Active EDFC and GPS.

Maybe also plenty of XYZ, but no Pro - for now ;-) - as I understand it.
These users thanked the author RX8R3Rod for the post:
Mpv2k3 (Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:01 pm)
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Well, blow me down.

I said a journey on the M62 and A1 at night wouldn’t tell me too much; how wrong I was #-o

But first again a big thanks to Josh and the Rotary Revs team for getting it all together and working. It was a big job. If you’re reading Josh, v v much appreciated and hope you had a great Christmas Party! :thumleft:

I need to go back to see Josh after Christmas once the springs have settled to get back to a decent level of gap to the ground.

Anyhow back to the journey ... Josh had set it up with a ‘get you going’ manual setting (no active stuff going on 8n manual) of 12 out of 16.

Sooo smooth. In comparison to the Cusco’s this was luxury car material. But for my preferences a little to floaty at speed, so I stopped at Blythe services and dialled it up a bit to 9. Still really smooth and fab at absorbing the bumps but much better body control at speed.

Exactly as Clive described it, in fact :notworthy:

And awake early this morning to get a faulty valve in the tyre fixed, time to see if I could get it into Active mode.

So after a bit of mental wrangling with the manual

5A897BCB-3333-472A-AF16-E611F3F33D41.png
D48EBD01-7C27-4592-BDAA-A973C07783CA.png
9B62F811-07E4-4C27-9AFA-CBAF7B2E061D.png
I got it there, with the maximally soft setting at 10, and hardest at 6 as a start point.

So does it work, and can you tell the difference (even on just a few roundabouts and up the A17 on the way to the tyre guys)?

Absolutely. :thumright:

I’ve got the beeper on the control unit set to low volume for now, so I can hear, as well as feel, what’s going on.

What I have found surprising is just with small brake, corner and accelerate actions at limited speed up to 60 or thereabouts, you can hear it working away merrily. But even better you actually can’t really feel it working, it’s effectively transparent.

But you can certainly feel the effect of it working ... corners absolutely feel less like corners, as the car is so much more composed.

More to follow later, but so far seriously impressed, and that’s against the Cusco’s which aren’t exactly rubbish...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Forgot to say, I’m in G-Arrange + S-Arrange mode ...
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Sounds great so far.

Those instructions look like fun lol
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

I have started saving already!!!!!
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Aren’t they fab?

Today has got taken over by Christmas and not Lincolnshire B roads, :roll: but tomorrow is looking much more promising.

What I have noticed, though, is because the car corners flatter, I keep overtightening my body in expectation of the cars body roll, which no longer happens to anything like the same extent. I have to learn to relax more at the wheel now ;)
These users thanked the author RX8R3Rod for the post:
Clive (Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:45 pm)
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Bloody hell I want this to I hope I will have it before summer
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:33 pm
I have started saving already!!!!!
Snap........ although I was originally considering the pro version but i think that may not be needed and the version that Rod has will be good enough
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader

Post by Clive »

Pleased your as happy as I knew you would be :thumleft: .

You wont set the suspension this hard on the road but on track I use 2's and 3's front or rear to get the balance I need, with 4-5 as my "wet" setting, which I used to good effect in my last race of the year below.

Had I not been able to reset the suspension to a soft setting actually sitting on the line with the EDFC, there's no way the car would have had the grip I was able to find which you can see on the video below ;)

These users thanked the author Clive for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:32 pm)
REgards
Clive

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

mi60o0 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:30 pm
Bloody hell I want this to I hope I will have it before summer
Don't forget that the nut behind the wheel needs uprating too!
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black