Jeags
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Choosing new HT leads

Post by Jeags »

Hi all,

After reading information on the forum regarding ignition, I think I'm going to try and replace my HT leads. I had a look at the coils and all 4 are revision c coils which were replaced at a Mazda garage prior to me owning the car. I tried to get as much info on the date these were replaced, but Mazda would only tell me they replaced 'some coils' back in 2013 and 2015. I am experiencing a slow startup when cold which takes 2 key turns to get going in the morning. I was looking at Magnecor leads but also found these on eBay which look like they may be ok?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1746635681

I know you have to take everything with a pinch of salt on eBay but wondered whether it was worth a shot. The current leads look like OEM ones (just plain black leads), and I assume they've been on the care since new and are looking a bit old now anyway. Car has done 48k miles now.

Let me know thoughts, look similar design to Magnecor being stainless steel wrapped, bit I'm no expert on this. Can go with Magnecor if others would advise that.

Cheers,

Joe

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: Choosing new HT leads

Post by qwakers »

go for either magnecore or the leads from RRP. the unbranded ones MIGHT be ok, but i wouldnt take the risk.
HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia »

The ignition system in the RX8 is one of the parts of the car that you really do want to get right and keep in good condition. Personally I put Magnecor leads on my RX8 R3 within the first 6 months of purchase at brand new. They're still on the car and running strong.

If you've got slow turn over then a couple of other things that you might want to look at while you're under the bonnet:
  • Look at the charge level on the battery - short journeys don't get the charge back up
  • Look at the age of the battery - over 5 years and consider replacement.
  • Look at the capacity and Cold Crank Ampage (CCA) of the battery - higher CCA is better
  • Check the age and type of the starter motor (there are some fast starter models that can help)
Our resident spin doctor will hopefully be along in a moment to add to this 8)
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...
Azimuth
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Azimuth »

I've bought from retro leads for my short foray into D585 coils. One of the spark connectors snapped after being removed one too many times. So, they are OK and well made, but not the most robust.
Now I'm rocking Magnecor KV85s and couldn't be happier. It's just one less thing to worry about.
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

HypoThermia wrote:The ignition system in the RX8 is one of the parts of the car that you really do want to get right and keep in good condition. Personally I put Magnecor leads on my RX8 R3 within the first 6 months of purchase at brand new. They're still on the car and running strong.

If you've got slow turn over then a couple of other things that you might want to look at while you're under the bonnet:
  • Look at the charge level on the battery - short journeys don't get the charge back up
  • Look at the age of the battery - over 5 years and consider replacement.
  • Look at the capacity and Cold Crank Ampage (CCA) of the battery - higher CCA is better
  • Check the age and type of the starter motor (there are some fast starter models that can help)
Our resident spin doctor will hopefully be along in a moment to add to this 8)
Yep, have done all these. Battery charged overnight, starter uprated. Only concern was it was 540cca battery which could be slightly low for the uprated starter? Was going to replace that but thought it may be leads first?

Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

Azimuth wrote:I've bought from retro leads for my short foray into D585 coils. One of the spark connectors snapped after being removed one too many times. So, they are OK and well made, but not the most robust.
Now I'm rocking Magnecor KV85s and couldn't be happier. It's just one less thing to worry about.
Right, I see. Will have a think and see anyway. Cheers.

njkmr
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by njkmr »

Not something to scrimp on.
You may only replace them once so get the best.
RRP are well known and look fantastic as well, along with lifetime warranty.They would be my choice.
These users thanked the author njkmr for the post:
Jeags (Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:51 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

If I was still running Mazda OEM coils then these are the leads I'd buy
https://www.mazdarotaryparts.com/Mazda- ... all-models
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

Fit the Magnecors, mine were on the car for years and that included a lot of wading through streams, puddles, mud, sand, etc, etc, and the leads never missed a beat.
Ryan Rotary Performance
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance »

I moved away from the Magnecor to MSD, the quality of the boots on MSD are better quality IMO, I've also had issues of the Connectors snapping on the Magnecor especially on the D585 variant. Never once did I manage to get a replacement under warranty (Just saying)
Roosterrory
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey
Has thanked: 0

Post by Roosterrory »

I’ve got a set of magnecor currently fitted to my car. They’ve done about 10K, but I am just about to fit new RRP coils & MSD leads.

If your interested in the leads PM me.

As everyone has pointed out, the ignition system is vitally important on these little sweethearts, don’t scrimp as it will only end one way!
These users thanked the author Roosterrory for the post:
Jeags (Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:25 pm)
231 in titanium grey, special edition 10 spoke rex wheels, full lockwood grills front and back, new coils leads and plugs, toyo sports decat & de-baffled OEM backbox, full tanned and black leather interior, bright orange callipers, re-sprayed wheels, white led sidelights...........

To do: catch can, new intake & save for a rebuilt ported donk........
HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia »

Jeags wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:39 pm
Only concern was it was 540cca battery which could be slightly low for the uprated starter? Was going to replace that but thought it may be leads first
I went and checked the car and it is a Varta E23 Blue Dynamic with 70Ah and 630CCA. I do remember slightly over-specifying this at the time :twisted:

Also, if I've read the technical manuals correctly, then it was 520CCA for the series 1 and 550CCA for the R3 (the later had an uprated starter motor). So with an older battery and/or an uprated starter motor on your car then it might be struggling a little.
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

Yeah, I guess it's a possibility. I've had a look at it is an Exide 540cca which is about 4 years old now. Going to RR for comp test and possibly diagnostic on the 30th, so will find out more then I guess!