Dan123
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Buying an R3 v2

Post by Dan123 »

Hi

So I decided to start a new thread just to keep things separate. I've been speaking to a member here - Ray. Who has been trying to sell his R3 but with no luck.. The battery is in the boot and it has had an "aircon delete". He said that the battery is easily reversible but wasn't sure what was done by LH Rotary for the delete. I would need to get some prices to replace the aircon as I will definitely need it.

The car has also had a recent compression test at "6.5, 6.5, 6.3 rear rotar 6.2 all three chambers." Thoughts again on this would be welcome :D

I've not had the reg to look at MOT history but i'd imagine as a member on here its been looked after well.

Thoughts and is there anyone nearby to come look at it with me if I decide to?

Link to the advert is here (not sure if I can post this, apologies if not allowed)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ZDA&page=1

Dan
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Buying an R3 v2

Post by New Duke »

Bit of an awkward position here not wanting to comment against that car. It's a fine car priced low compared to other cars, probably because of the work that's needed to return it to stock. If the seller doesn't know what the aircon delete involved then best assume they removed all the mechanicals. Shame the battery wasn't reversed for the sale if it's easily reversible.

Might be a good idea to call bigpete at Boston Rotary (trader on here) to ask him what it would roughly cost to supply and fit a used aircon system. Don't go window shopping for new parts. Then you'll know if it's hundreds or thousands (an exaggeration but you get the point). The drive to Boston Rotary from Norfolk will be lovely in an R3 as well... once you have aircon to demist the windscreen.

Those compression numbers aren't great, but they're not awful. Engine may last years, or may be worth keeping a few grand in the bank for a rebuild in a couple of years. Who knows.

Cambridge is too far for me to come, but I'm sure Ray's car will be exactly as he says it is. It's those things you already know about that require consideration from you.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
BigPete (Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 pm)
Dan123
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dan123 »

Thanks

I checked with Ray that he was ok for me to post on here about the car.

Dan
These users thanked the author Dan123 for the post:
New Duke (Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:56 pm)
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

Definitely give BigPete a ring as New Duke has suggested he reinstalled my aircon a few months back.
The battery change is a simple one so don't worry about that either.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post:
BigPete (Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 pm)
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

If I was after an R3, I'd be looking to get this one.
Although he's started to set it up for track, it hasn't been used extensively on track (if at all) or thrashed to bits.
It looks immaculate and looked after well.
Work out costs for getting the aircon refitted and bear that in mind, but it's already a good price for the car so I wouldn't expect to get that cost off, I think Ray has already taken into account with his pricing.
Sounds like you're going in with your eyes open, so you shouldn't have any nightmares with this one.

All the best with it.
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by WildMan10 »

Battery relocation reversal is an easy DIY job, albeit requiring a fair bit of getting hands dirty under the car in getting the wiring out. You could just leave it in though. You may have to allow a few pounds for wiring, battery cage and boot liner.

Aircon delete reversal depends on what has been removed. Getting and fitting all the parts could be expensive and isn't an easy DIY job.

Those compression numbers look fine. Relax over them, as they are only a broad guide. Spend your time checking that the engine starts and behaves as expected through acceleration times (eg 30-70, as the 0-60 is highly dependent on how much you rag the clutch and tyres).

Ray's a straight guy, so you can trust him for honest answers.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
Ray888
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aluminium Silver
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ray888 »

Thank you all guys for the comments and trust on my character. :D

I haven’t manage to track the car since the short timed track sessions at JDM Combe in 2018. I dont Drive the car anymore unfortunately as I have a runaround and a JDM DC2 k-swap project in the pipeline, so it is parked up in the carport, only started to keep the battery and things moving - which is a shame. But mileage won’t go up for the new owner.

With those things in mind I have priced accordingly.

Dan123 - I forgot to PM you the Reg for MOT check, will do soon, last one was clean, no advisories.
These users thanked the author Ray888 for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am)
偉 文
Ray
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

As per the above, do a buy. It looks to be a cracking car and - although style is all about personal preference - I think those wheels look pretty mega personally :P

Also, as a 2010 it won't need the gearbox syncros doing either :thumleft:

EDIT: One extra thing, the bolster on that driver's seat looks AMAZING for a car that has covered ~60k miles. Bravo to Ray for keeping it that way!
Ray888
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ray888 »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am
As per the above, do a buy. It looks to be a cracking car and - although style is all about personal preference - I think those wheels look pretty mega personally :P

Also, as a 2010 it won't need the gearbox syncros doing either :thumleft:

EDIT: One extra thing, the bolster on that driver's seat looks AMAZING for a car that has covered ~60k miles. Bravo to Ray for keeping it that way!
Thanks Dan :thumright: you should see the compromising positions I get myself into in order to not sit on the bolsters! :oops: :oops: and some regular leather care has never hurt anyone :getmecoat:
偉 文
Ray
Dan123
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dan123 »

Alas, after agreeing terms, Ray decided to sell his car to someone else.

Maybe I'm not ready for the cut throat world of buying used R3s.

Or Maybe there will be a Buying an R3 v3rd time luck thread.

Who knows. :shock:
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

I hope there is a V3. Good luck finding another. Although rare, these cars are worth the wait and the effort!
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Nickp47 »

Stick with it Dan, when you eventually find the right car you will be glad you did.
Ray888
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ray888 »

As I had apologised to Dan already via PM, I’m sure he’ll understand.

I had a l guy travel down from Manchester within 5 hours of messaging me (who I thought was a time Waster initially), turned out to be a car collector, he loved the car and took it with no questions asked, offering the same price. I couldn’t turn down a quick instant sale.
偉 文
Ray
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

Money talks and dithering walks :thumleft:
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

It’s always difficult when buying a car especially something quite rare like a R3.
You try not to rush in (like I do) and make an informed decision but then you risk someone else diving in ahead of you.
The seller is quite right (unless deposit taken) to take the cash of the person there.

I have no doubt ere will be another one available that is just right for you.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
I Must Be Mad
Former Member
Former Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by I Must Be Mad »

I owned this car before Ray, and it was my daily driver for over four years. Prior to selling, all the work was carried out by Ben at Rotary Revs, with a compression test done at the last service before selling. The compression test results were ace, and Ray will have it with all the paperwork that I passed on to him.

I haven't been on the forum for ages, but I did see that Ray had "Nellie" up for sale. Again I have no idea what Ray modded on the car during the last two years, but I can vouch for the history up to the point that I sold it.

Good luck.