And the compression results are in...

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Re: And the compression results are in...

Post by Jeags »

Have checked the vac lines and they all seem good. I assume it's compression. Will check how it starts tomorrow now. Thanks.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

It could be so many things, from massive internal failure to a film of oil on the MAF...
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Jeags (Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:30 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

Right, new plan. Tried the seafoam this morning to no avail. It started quick, smoked but still won't idle. I'll be taking the car off the road until I can afford a proper rebuild which makes most sense to me. The only issue was I was maneuvering the car on the drive this morning after attempting the seafoam when the temperature gauge shot up and there was smoke/vapour coming from the engine bay. Stopped the car and opened the bonnet to find the coolant in the reservoir boiling and fans on full blast. After a minute or so, it stopped boiling and the fans stopped after about 10 mins. Any idea what that could be? Nothing else unusual appart from the boiling in reservoir.

Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

I have also just looked in the reservoir now it's cool and it's empty. The overspill looks dry and no puddles underneath so god knows where that's gone...

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Something prevented the cooling system from maintaining pressure.

Without pressure the coolant boils at 100C, with pressure it's good for 125C.

Either the cap was loose or there's a leak somewhere, external or internal.

An internal leak can also over-pressure the system.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Jeags (Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:21 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

@jeags...

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=80954&p=1241899#p1241899

engine might not have stellar compression, but i ran a engine with way lower compression than this for over a year......

and it starts hot on a old starter, so should have a few years left in it :D
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

Thanks for the info! Dwayne is currently delving into the "engine" I bought and I'm going to see him after work today. Doesn't seem too bad after speaking to him over the phone, he said the 2 rotors can be used and one of the housings may also be able to use, he just wants to clean it up a bit more so he knows what he's up against! It's definitely an option, we'll have to see what he says today.

I really appreciate all the continuous help with this though, thanks a lot! :D
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

I popped in last Friday to have a look at the dismantled engine I bought and it seems ok I guess. He thinks the 2 rotors can be reused as well as one housing at a push, he would prefer 2 new ones but I highly doubt my budget will stretch to that. In the meantime, he has another engine from someone else's swap which he said he'll have a look at. I tried to start my 8 yesterday and it sounds like nothing is happening anymore, just the starter motor turning, no sounds of the engine catching. Since it's in the garage covered over now, I was wondering whether it'd be worth having a go at getting the engine out myself over a few days? I'm not sure whether it'll be worth it due to the state it's in and I'm not sure whether I'm up to the job, don't want to make more unnecessary work for myself. I'm relatively new to motoring but always do my own servicing and small jobs on the car, any ideas how hard it is to get the engine out? I haven't got a crane either so not sure if it is even possible! I do remember if I am right there was some sort of guide on here, but I can't find it? Any advice would be welcome, driving a mk 2.5 MX-5 and missing the 8 more and more each day!
Cheers,
Joe

leetrx8
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by leetrx8 »

Hi Joe,

Before you have a go at removing your engine, there are a few different guides on YouTube you can watch so you know what it entails:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ne+removal
These users thanked the author leetrx8 for the post:
Jeags (Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:04 pm)
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

I have already had a quick look at these and I think it's possible, however I'm not sure if I'm over optimistic!

Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

You can do it. There's a good guide on the international forum. I'll send the link across when I get to my laptop.

Getting it out is fairly easy (bar stuck bolts) getting it apart is hard.

I have a crane your welcome to home for as long as you need it. A good wobble bar set and socket size adapters is good to.

I got it out in 3 days. But I did a shed load of extra stuff I didn't need to do. Removing the air intake in situ..
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
Jeags (Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm)
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

Yeah, cheers for that. I'll have a go in the new year I think. I'm hoping I can use a block & tackle hoist to get the engine out as it's in the garage so I can use the roof trusses. The only tricky bit according to Dwayne is the ECU. Apparently it's tricky to get out? I'm not too sure why though!

Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-tech-g ... cs-178937/

That's what I used. The hardest part I found was getting the bellhousing bolts out, that's why I recommend a wobble bar set.

Due to my crane not having quite the same reach I did also take the bumper off but that's not fantastically hard. I would recommend a 3 ton jack for Hight. I think the Halfords one I have go's to 43cm. I have a 2 ton but it only went to 34cm. 10cm makes life soooo much easier.

That guide also leaves the car in a rolling state so if it needs to go on a trailer you can push it around.

As your in another car at the moment take your time. The ECU requires drilling out. (one thing not in the guide) a good dril, sharp bits and WD40 will have them out no problem.
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
Jeags (Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:54 pm)
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

Update:

The engine is now out and ancillaries stripped so I have a bare block. Surprisingly achievable with some patience and a block and tackle! Was hoping to get the guys at silver fern to disassemble the block and inspect it but they are moving soon due to rent rates sometime around March they hope, so it will have to wait until they have moved and settled in now! The suspense is killing me! Still, gives me time to save up I guess. Just hoping there is one usable housing out of it! ImageImageImage

These users thanked the author Jeags for the post:
30405 (Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:42 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Good work getting it out! I'm going to the AGM traveling up on the Friday. If your free early evening I can look at swinging by with the nut for the fly wheel and a breaker bar if you wanna take a crack at getting it apart?

You should join us on the Saturday, I'll have a spare passenger seat if you dare....
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post (total 3):
goodeggbob (Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 pm) • Jeags (Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:44 am)
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jeags »

Thanks very much for the offer, really appreciate it!
Since I've already had silver fern involved in the previous engine I bought, I think it's the best to stick with them if possible as they have the other pieces of my engine I need! I will in the future look to attend all the meet-up's I can, but at the moment my weekend is dominated by work and college (life of an apprentice)!
Hopefully won't be too long until the 8 is back up and running, but sadly I can't afford new engine/housings so if there isn't another usable housing in the engine I've taken out, it's game over I'm afraid! Fingers crossed it won't come to that.
Thanks again for the offers of support. Will definitely start attending meetings asap!