Django91
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Racing Beat Anti roll bar stiffness

Post by Django91 »

Hello All,

Would anyone know how stiff the Racing Beat roll bars are as compared to a standard suspension spring?
Is there a way of 'comparing' stiffness'.

Thanks in advance
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Racing Beat Anti roll bar stiffness

Post by warpc0il »

You can't compare an anti-roll bar to a suspension spring.

The RB arbs are stiffer than the standard arbs, and that additional stiffness could be measured but I'm unclear how the numbers would be meaningful to you.

I fitted RB arbs to my car, initially with the original sports suspension and later with Eibach springs.

The arbs reduced body roll without any significant difference to ride.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Django91 (Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:34 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 13Black »

As above, coil springs are measured in linear movement in relation to load... whereas ARBs are measured in angular movement in relation to load.

It's like trying to compare how hot the sun is compared to how many Tuesdays your birthday falls on.

You could try and get a figure of what spring stiffness and what ARB stiffness would yield similar body roll figures for a given load, but what you'd do with this information I'm not sure.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post:
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

I can't recall where on the forum it is, but the stiffness of the various ARB options for the RX8 are around somewhere which will give you a comparison.

The RB are, if I remember correctly, the stiffest of the aftermarket options, followed closely by the Whiteline. The main difference between the two is that the whiteline are solid, the RB are hollow, so the RB are physically lighter.

Again, I'm going from memory, but I believe that the RB ARBs were something of the order of twice the stiffness of the OEM S1 ARBs - although I'm sure that someone will be along to correct me on that with more precise figures.
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
Django91
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Django91 »

Yes, one's in torsion and the other in compression, was just wondering where lowering springs + ARB's stand in comparison to a full blown coil-over.
Well obviously you don't get to tune damping.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Lowering springs and ARBs compared to coilovers? That's a can of worms question.

Currently I'm running Eibach springs, R3 shocks and RB ARBs. I like the mix of everyday damping that the R3 shocks provide, and the on track handling that the combination of ARBs and Eibachs provide.

The one thing you're not taking in to account is that a set of upgraded ARBs will also enhance a set of coilovers. As such my recommendation would be to upgrade your ARBs first and see how you get on. A lot of people don't bother swapping out the current suspension as it provides nice compliancy on the road - when mixed with a reduction in body roll from a set of stiff ARBs then it can still be great fun, but comfy.
Django91
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Django91 »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:39 am
Lowering springs and ARBs compared to coilovers? That's a can of worms question.

Currently I'm running Eibach springs, R3 shocks and RB ARBs. I like the mix of everyday damping that the R3 shocks provide, and the on track handling that the combination of ARBs and Eibachs provide.

The one thing you're not taking in to account is that a set of upgraded ARBs will also enhance a set of coilovers. As such my recommendation would be to upgrade your ARBs first and see how you get on. A lot of people don't bother swapping out the current suspension as it provides nice compliancy on the road - when mixed with a reduction in body roll from a set of stiff ARBs then it can still be great fun, but comfy.
Yes, I am currently on eibach springs and recently fitted the RB ARB's, feels very good IMO. It actually feels like the ride has improved slightly over standard ARB's, and body control is really good. IMO they should be like this standard, enough fizz in the suspension to match the keenness of the engine! Next step is coilovers but thats a bit down the line, pretty happy with this setup. Might do 10-15 mm spacers, enough to improve the looks, without affecting geometry/strength of other components.