Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Buying an R3

Post by Ainmhidh »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:43 pm
I'd stake my reputation on that (whether that's worth anything or not remains to be seen! :lol: ).
Is that your reputation for killing R3s Dan? :lol: (off topic, how's the mini-me side project going?)
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Well, first rule of RX8club is don't believe anything written on RX8club... ;) I'm kidding, obviously.

That said, you'll be hard pushed, given the number sold, to find an R3 with ~30k miles for sale with better compression. I'd stake my reputation on that (whether that's worth anything or not remains to be seen! :lol: ).

If I went to buy an RX8 and the comp results were even across faces/rotors, and the results started with a 6 (even a 6.0) I'd be happy putting my money in it. The consensus on RX8club that a low compression test (anything below a 6.8 by their standards) means your days are numbered are simply false and unhelpful. An engine running 6.1s across the board that is being properly maintained should still go on for ages - excluding random insta-kill fails like side seals, water jackets and so forth.

With the numbers that are for sale (R3s I mean) you can afford to be picky, but demanding something starting with a 7 is going to be a long old search that wastes time and benefits nothing.

FWIW, one of my engines had compression of 7.2s and the side seal went - there's no rhyme nor reason to these engines sometimes.
*cough* 41k with mid 7s here *cough*
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

delta0 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm
Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Well, first rule of RX8club is don't believe anything written on RX8club... ;) I'm kidding, obviously.

That said, you'll be hard pushed, given the number sold, to find an R3 with ~30k miles for sale with better compression. I'd stake my reputation on that (whether that's worth anything or not remains to be seen! :lol: ).

If I went to buy an RX8 and the comp results were even across faces/rotors, and the results started with a 6 (even a 6.0) I'd be happy putting my money in it. The consensus on RX8club that a low compression test (anything below a 6.8 by their standards) means your days are numbered are simply false and unhelpful. An engine running 6.1s across the board that is being properly maintained should still go on for ages - excluding random insta-kill fails like side seals, water jackets and so forth.

With the numbers that are for sale (R3s I mean) you can afford to be picky, but demanding something starting with a 7 is going to be a long old search that wastes time and benefits nothing.

FWIW, one of my engines had compression of 7.2s and the side seal went - there's no rhyme nor reason to these engines sometimes.
Is your car for sale and on less than 35k miles? ;)

My point was that there are seemingly only ever a handful of R3s for sale at any one time these days - maybe 10-15? discount a few of them as being high mileage or low compression and you'll struggle to find one that's for sale, in the 7s and low mileage.

I'm not saying that an R3 in the 7s is impossible, just that if you use that as your sole buying criteria then you'll be searching a long time and could end up with a car with a crusty rust-bucket chassis - which makes the engine in the 7s pointless.

@Alan - going really well thanks :) She's a cracker and last night slept for the WHOLE night by herself. The wife woke her up at 7am to check she wasn't dead or something! :lol:
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
Ainmhidh (Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:26 pm)
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:34 pm
delta0 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm
Dr. FrankenRex wrote:

Is your car for sale and on less than 35k miles? ;)

My point was that there are seemingly only ever a handful of R3s for sale at any one time these days - maybe 10-15? discount a few of them as being high mileage or low compression and you'll struggle to find one that's for sale, in the 7s and low mileage.

I'm not saying that an R3 in the 7s is impossible, just that if you use that as your sole buying criteria then you'll be searching a long time and could end up with a car with a crusty rust-bucket chassis - which makes the engine in the 7s pointless.

@Alan - going really well thanks :) She's a cracker and last night slept for the WHOLE night by herself. The wife woke her up at 7am to check she wasn't dead or something! :lol:
It’s already a rare car so for sure limiting options further is going to make it nearly impossible to find one.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

AS the gazzumper didn't turn up why don't you drop your offer by £250 and tell him you will be over on Saturday to pick the car up.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post (total 3):
GreySilver Beast (Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:36 pm) • 30405 (Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:54 pm) • Shagrington (Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:23 am)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk »

My car (admittedly a Series 1), is on 80k miles now with ~6's for compression on both rotors and still starts on the button every time. If RX8club are to be believed it blew up about 20-40k miles ago.

I'm sorry to hear about the seller messing you about. Buying cars can be an...interesting process.
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

i know youre looking for a r3, but have you considered looking at a late s1?

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=80728

as a example/=?
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Check out the irish rotary FB page,there's a lovely white R3 popped up for sale,not looking for big money either....
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

What happens to VRT when a car is exported from ROI?
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

That I have no clue but its well worth enquiring. Its a sweet car and all he wants is 3k ( euros?) which is an absolute steal for what looks like a mint car.

Regarding the VRT, I can't imagine a buyer from the UK is liable for it. As you know Dave the VRT is only applicable to a car being bought by a paddy from the UK

Link....

https://m.facebook.com/groups/129998773 ... 9122843041

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Just wondering if someone gets a refund - but that would be too much to ask for... :roll:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Closed group, so...
Screenshot_2019-10-31 Irish Rotary.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

It's a no brainer for me, lovely car with a RR rebuild for what is essentially 2600 pounds!!!!

Get on it!!

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

EDIT: Gonna snip my own ramblings

Sorry this seller let you down Dan123. If you can be patient then a good R3 is worth the wait, no need to rush to buy a Series 1 unless you specifically want one of those.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

No worries Haydn,it's all good ;) I hear what you're saying but a quick call to RR will verify the rebuild so that should take care of that.Regarding the worn pads,it is his daily as is mine and I wont lie but I've had pads changed on mine that were pretty close to what you'd deem to be the minimum,it's not like I purposely let them get that way its just that when she's your daily things tend to wear out a lot faster.

The paperwork or lack of would be an issue for me defo but a condition of sale would have to be a complete once over of the car ( inc a comp test ) by a reputable garage with the owner contributing to the cost,that seems fair to me.I still think it's well worth a punt ( once due diligence has been done ) for what is really small money for an R3

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

RR have an office in Derbyshire?! :lol:
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

My guess is Birstall is 15 miles from the Derbyshire border, so pretty close, for a paddy ;)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

Not fancy the low mileage (28k) blue one on eBay & Autotrader in Tonbridge? Same price
Or the one in Cambridge being sold by a club member for under 5k ?? Sure it needs the air con putting back in, but that should be easy enough.
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Juey wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:57 pm
Not fancy the low mileage (28k) blue one on eBay & Autotrader in Tonbridge? Same price
Or the one in Cambridge being sold by a club member for under 5k ?? Sure it needs the air con putting back in, but that should be easy enough.
Any idea how easy it is to refit the air con? It didn't say in the add spefically what he'd removed. Just he'd done a 'delete'.
I read that line in the ad and hoped he'd reinstall it himself or that may be a pig to sell given he won't accept offers. If I was negotiating with him I'd immediately deduct the parts and labour cost re the air con. Who wants to buy an RX8 missing air con except for people building competitive race cars?

Top tip for anyone selling to the general public: Get it as close to stock as possible, and don't say a price is non-negotiable if basic car features aren't functional.