Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Re: Ceramic CATS and CAT recommendations

Post by 350matt »

bear in mind chaps those numbers are just my educated guess

bhp modifications can go down as well as up

regarding the scoop it should only be the intake air its effecting? so I'm surprised it has that strong effect on the coolant temp
have you blanked off the oil coolers, a must in winter I find as with both blanked my oil temp gauge still tends to hover around 85-90 degC
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

350matt wrote:bear in mind chaps those numbers are just my educated guess

bhp modifications can go down as well as up

regarding the scoop it should only be the intake air its effecting? so I'm surprised it has that strong effect on the coolant temp
have you blanked off the oil coolers, a must in winter I find as with both blanked my oil temp gauge still tends to hover around 85-90 degC
I reliesed that but would like one ImageImage

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

350matt wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 pm
You're correct, it should have a near zero impact on the coolant temperature, as it's just ensuring that the intake charge is as cool as possible and (more of the time) at a positive pressure.

Blanking one of the oil coolers is a good idea this time of year, as it really helps the oil get to working temperature quicker, which helps everything.
If the ambient is below 4C you can get away with blanking both, just don't forget when the weather warms up again.
See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53888&hilit=mouse+mat

An engine staying too cold could be a problem with the thermostat sticking open
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

well that was one of the reasons I fitted an oil temp gauge, as I've found that its only in the height of summer ( 20degC+) or track days that you need both coolers unblanked so
so most of the year I have 1 side blanked all the time
and for the last month or so I've been blanking both sides and still not seen oil temps above 98 deg ( ideally it should be 85 + all the time and not get above 120)
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

I’m running the Milltek high flow cat for a couple of years now. It is 200 cell and has passed the MOT very well (and does not give any CELs).
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath