call me stupid.

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

call me stupid.

Post by Tomtom »

bought a rx8 today from leeds sold as seen drove 8 miles stoped for petrol would not start phoned green flag they used a battery booster started straight up great drove about 6 miles slowed down for roundabout cut out would not restart . oily smell white smoke what needs doing. also if it is the worst can somebody make a list of every thing i need to buy to fix it. thank you :( :(
Last edited by Tomtom on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: call me stupid.

Post by 13Black »

Engine rebuild possibly.

Be very careful spending money on parts until it gets a proper diagnosis.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

13Black wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 pm
Engine rebuild possibly.

Be very careful spending money on parts until it gets a proper diagnosis.
a friend of mine is a mechanic and is willing to have a go repairing it so need a list of what i will need .
TheManc
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TheManc »

if its a rebuild let him have a good read as "willing to have a go" ain't what you need as parts for a rebuild are roughly 1K
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

Well if the compression is low a hot start is a definite indicator .. and there is no list of "parts needed" .. the only cure for a low comp engine is a full rebuild about £2.5k. Did you read the Buyers Guide before parting with any cash, so you knew what to look out for? .. app.php/buyers-guide .. if not then I will call you stupid :lol:
These users thanked the author acegeezer for the post:
NeMFO (Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 am)
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

acegeezer wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:12 pm
Well if the compression is low a hot start is a definite indicator .. and there is no list of "parts needed" .. the only cure for a low comp engine is a full rebuild about £2.5k. Did you read the Buyers Guide before parting with any cash, so you knew what to look out for? .. app.php/buyers-guide .. if not then I will call you stupid :lol:
the guy drove it to the rail station for me to pick up it started up fine thought it was hot so ok checked oil water etc all good so parted with my cash drove it 8 miles to garage it started hot then 2miles to post office for tax car then would not start green flag use booster it fired up this was after waiting 1 hour so cold engine drove down the road about six miles stalled at traffic lights would not restart
Paul_13
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Paul_13 »

Might be something simple.... Or full rebuild time.
When you say it won't restart. Is the starter turning?
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

TheManc wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:11 pm
if its a rebuild let him have a good read as "willing to have a go" ain't what you need as parts for a rebuild are roughly 1K
he is a guy i would trust and he is reading up on them and watching you tube.
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Could just be a duff battery.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

To be honest it could be a number of things but unless you give us plenty more information, it will just be somewhat educated shots in the dark.

Your best bet is to get it in the hands of someone who knows what they're looking at and check the simple/likely things first to rule them out.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

13Black is an expert on these cars. Therefore a good rule of thumb to follow is :whathesaid:
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

hi mate,sorry to hear of your problem, but if you mate is a guy you can trust,why didn't you take him with you to inspect the car first? is there any chance of getting your money back?
Rob :thumright:
Scotty PZ
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Scotty PZ »

Get a compression test done, until that has been carried out everything is a guessing game.
These users thanked the author Scotty PZ for the post:
willberry70 (Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:54 pm)
Galaxy Grey PZ number 24.
Large street port. Lots of flames, lots of smiles.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Previous owner overfilled the oil?
It could really be as simple as that.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36391

Or is might be a grenade, with the pin out...
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Rafael
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Rafael »

Yeah exactly could be simple or rebuild time, Just do your own inspection first before you'll start stripping off engine, check MAF sensor if is not dirty, ESS sensor, buy cheap spark tester and inspect ignition system, and first of all scan for fault codes using OBD2 reader that could tell you what is wrong.
Cooper Red Evolve, Pettit Racing Exhaust, Racing Beat Lightweight flywheel, AEM Intake, Tein Flex Z, RRP COFS, RRP Lightweight pulley kit, RRP MKIII Coils, RRP Full Bridgeport, RRP engine mounts
Paul_13
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Paul_13 »

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 pm
Previous owner overfilled the oil?
It could really be as simple as that.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36391

Or is might be a grenade, with the pin out...
Valid point. Had it got a catch tank fitted? Is it full by any chance?
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

As has been said, you can't really know without having it looked over. My guesses are the below - but they are in no way exhaustive and I wouldn't go spending money on any of them until someone who knows RX8s has had a look over it.

- Battery
- Coils
- Spark Plugs
- Leads
- Oil Overfill
- Old starter motor
- Low compression
- Lost a seal

As said, in no way exhaustive, so please talk to someone first. These aren't even written in priority order.

If it was me, my car and my money I'd get a compression test done first and foremost. If compression is good then start to investigate the other things.
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Paul_13 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:23 pm
Might be something simple.... Or full rebuild time.
When you say it won't restart. Is the starter turning?
Yes starterturning
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 am
As has been said, you can't really know without having it looked over. My guesses are the below - but they are in no way exhaustive and I wouldn't go spending money on any of them until someone who knows RX8s has had a look over it.

- Battery
- Coils
- Spark Plugs
- Leads
- Oil Overfill
- Old starter motor
- Low compression
- Lost a seal

As said, in no way exhaustive, so please talk to someone first. These aren't even written in priority order.

If it was me, my car and my money I'd get a compression test done first and foremost. If compression is good then start to investigate the other things.
There is a very strong smell of oil . oil overfill is possible?
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk »

If you're half decent at being able to look under a bonnet, the easiest things to check and therefore rule out would be the battery (voltmeter), then the oil overfill/misfill possibility (look at the dipstick level and the air filter) then check the OBD2 readout, then clean the MAF, then maybe start pulling sparks/leads/coils etc. out.
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Tomtom wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 am
Not only "possible" but a strong contender as it matches the symptoms and is among the easiest things to check.

[story_time]
A few years ago a member bought a car from a non-Mazda dealer, sold as a "trade-in without warranty"*.
He'd arranged for a friend with a low-loader to collect, as it wasn't taxed or MOT'd.
However, the engine died in a cloud of smoke while being driven across the forecourt, to which the friend responded with "I told you they were sh*t".

Anyway, he got the car home and discovered that the engine oil was full.
Full all the way up the neck of the oil filler. :shock:

He sucked-out the excess oil and cleaned the intake hose, and the MAF, and the engine started, using jump leads "just in case".

Left the engine running for a while and then saw steam coming from the engine bay.
Switched off and left it over night.

Next morning he discovered that the coolant header tank had also be filled, to the brim, despite the MAX mark being only half-way-up.
He sucked-out the excess coolant from the tank, only to find that it smelt much more like screenwash than coolant. :?

The screenwash tank was empty #-o , as was the fuel tank. He'd noticed that the gauge didn't move and had assumed it was broken.

Those things all sorted, the car started and he took it for an MOT to discover what else might need doing.
It was his mate who was the MOT tester and was most surprised when the car drove in.

The car passed, with a single advisory. The tester had noticed that the shiny cheap tyres were sitting a bit strangely on the rims and he wasn't sure if the pressures might have been a bit high, so he checked with is car tyre gauge, which went straight off the scale. His light-commercial gauge also went off the scale - so the pressures were over 80psi :roll:

Seems that someone had "Filled the oil, and the screenwash, and the tyres", probably at the dealer as it couldn't have been drive in like that [-X

Anyway, after a slight embarrassment on the way home, as he didn't know about the resonator chamber on the side of the intake, that had also filled with oil, that car went on to provide many happy years of fun for the very lucky owner.

He eventually sold it to another member, who I believe is still running around in it, no harm done, and I don't know if he was ever told about that episode in its history.

[/story_time]

* There was a lot of debate around if any car can be sold by a dealer, to a member of the public, without any warranty, and the conclusion was that they can't, unless it's being sold for scrap. Otherwise there's always some "warranty".
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Tomtom (Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:14 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Nickp47 »

They can be sold without a warranty, it’s consumer rights that can’t be withdrawn/ignored/dodged.
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 am
Tomtom wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 am
Not only "possible" but a strong contender as it matches the symptoms and is among the easiest things to check.

[story_time]
A few years ago a member bought a car from a non-Mazda dealer, sold as a "trade-in without warranty"*.
He'd arranged for a friend with a low-loader to collect, as it wasn't taxed or MOT'd.
However, the engine died in a cloud of smoke while being driven across the forecourt, to which the friend responded with "I told you they were sh*t".

Anyway, he got the car home and discovered that the engine oil was full.
Full all the way up the neck of the oil filler. :shock:

He sucked-out the excess oil and cleaned the intake hose, and the MAF, and the engine started, using jump leads "just in case".

Left the engine running for a while and then saw steam coming from the engine bay.
Switched off and left it over night.

Next morning he discovered that the coolant header tank had also be filled, to the brim, despite the MAX mark being only half-way-up.
He sucked-out the excess coolant from the tank, only to find that it smelt much more like screenwash than coolant. :?

The screenwash tank was empty #-o , as was the fuel tank. He'd noticed that the gauge didn't move and had assumed it was broken.

Those things all sorted, the car started and he took it for an MOT to discover what else might need doing.
It was his mate who was the MOT tester and was most surprised when the car drove in.

The car passed, with a single advisory. The tester had noticed that the shiny cheap tyres were sitting a bit strangely on the rims and he wasn't sure if the pressures might have been a bit high, so he checked with is car tyre gauge, which went straight off the scale. His light-commercial gauge also went off the scale - so the pressures were over 80psi :roll:

Seems that someone had "Filled the oil, and the screenwash, and the tyres", probably at the dealer as it couldn't have been drive in like that [-X

Anyway, after a slight embarrassment on the way home, as he didn't know about the resonator chamber on the side of the intake, that had also filled with oil, that car went on to provide many happy years of fun for the very lucky owner.

He eventually sold it to another member, who I believe is still running around in it, no harm done, and I don't know if he was ever told about that episode in its history.

[/story_time]

* There was a lot of debate around if any car can be sold by a dealer, to a member of the public, without any warranty, and the conclusion was that they can't, unless it's being sold for scrap. Otherwise there's always some "warranty".
Excellent mate .
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

goodeggbob wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:47 pm
hi mate,sorry to hear of your problem, but if you mate is a guy you can trust,why didn't you take him with you to inspect the car first? is there any chance of getting your money back?
Well I am 65 and not rich could not afford to take any one with me train fares very high I live in north Durham car was in west Yorkshire. John the mechanic is a busy man enough said I think.
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Honkytonk wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:03 am
If you're half decent at being able to look under a bonnet, the easiest things to check and therefore rule out would be the battery (voltmeter), then the oil overfill/misfill possibility (look at the dipstick level and the air filter) then check the OBD2 readout, then clean the MAF, then maybe start pulling sparks/leads/coils etc. out.
Thank you well I am disabled not good on my feet so doing little jobs no longer a possibility mechanic coming tomorrow to have a look will go from there.