Place for discussions about the RX-8
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

RX-8 Jack gone hard to use.

Post by Delanor »

Having just changed the coolant, brake fluid and oil filter I have been using the scissor jack along with my trolley jack, the sissor jack has not had a lot of use but after I had used it a couple of times yesterday for some reason it has got really hard to turn once the weight is on it I cannot see why as the thread has always been kept greased and it turns easily without weight on it and the screw thread is not worn/stretched/distorted that I can see but you can feel it grinding whilst winding it up.

Anyone had this happen or any idea whats wrong with it as I have never had this with a scissor jack before.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
shroom
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: RX-8 Jack gone hard to use.

Post by shroom »

Would never trust or use a scissor jack unless in an emergency they are terrible things so not supprised it is messing about I have had them fail numerous times.

Get some axle stands and get another working scissor jack in the car for emergencies

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by shroom on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author shroom for the post:
30405 (Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:22 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

shroom wrote:Would never trust or use a scissor jack unless in an emergency they are terrible things so not supprised it is messing about I have had them fail numerous times.

Get some axle stands and get another

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Second that!
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Third...
Topelled a car off one before...😧
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Paul_13
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Paul_13 »

Screenshot_20190918-202031_DuckDuckGo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Paul_13 for the post:
30405 (Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 pm)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

I have had that type of jack above topple luckily before a wheel was off the RX8 jack is not like that.
Never used a scissor jack on its own with wheels off `but sometimes I use it with my trolley jack to get it underneath where I want it`and I always use axle stands as well if I am underneath or on ramps if necessary although the RX-8 jack seems better than most.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

I have that very model, nicked it from my old Omega before it was scrapped and have been using it for over 7 years on the RX-8.

Granted I only use it to cock one corner up a bit to get a (low profile) trolley jack under the car, but it feels dodgy enough just doing that - imagine using it to lift the old 2-ton Vauxhall land barge it was meant for :shock:
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
GraemeC
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by GraemeC »

Scissor jacks were a frequent topic of conversation on the Range Rover forum I used to frequent as the one supplier with the car was clearly dangerous
Many stories of them failing and almost everyone replaced the scissor jack with a Mercedes Sprinter jack (about £20 from ebay)

I have used the scissor jack on my 8 but, like others, only to jack up a corner to get a decent trolley jack underneath