refurbishing the PZ lightweight alloys - will it add weight and reduce structural rigidity?

Place for discussions about the RX-8
plas87
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

refurbishing the PZ lightweight alloys - will it add weight and reduce structural rigidity?

Post by plas87 »

As the title says really. My Prodrive PZ alloys could do with a refurb and I know they're not forged or anything (I think some type of aluminium alloy?) but I wouldn;t want the refurbishment process to add more weight than in stock form. Also, will it reduce the structural strength?

I live in NW London. Any recommendations on where I should go to get them refurbed?
These users thanked the author plas87 for the post:
DenisH (Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:14 am)
PZ Galaxy Grey, D585 coils, uprated MSD leads, Tesco Momentum 99 with Castrol Power 2T pre-mix
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: refurbishing the PZ lightweight alloys - will it add weight and reduce structural rigidity?

Post by 13Black »

I don't quite understand how a refurb would reduce their strength and add more weight... what did you have in mind?

You sometimes have to be careful with powder coating - it seems like some alloys don't like the high heat that some companies use.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Re: refurbishing the PZ lightweight alloys - will it add weight and reduce structural rigidity?

Post by PeteH »

When people say refurb they usually mean repaint. Sometimes a bit of bodyfiller is used to fill in the kerbing marks. Some alloys are "diamond turned" (which reveals silver highlights), and the refurb process will often involve a further skim of those silver bits, although the amount of metal removed is very small. But the PZ alloys are not diamond turned anyway, so this won't happen. The only other thing that could affect the structure of the alloy is if the wheels are buckled or deformed, and the refurb company is asked to straighten* them. I'm not a huge fan of re-bending alloy wheels, because you can't know for certain how aluminium alloys will react, but it's often done, so it's probably fine.

Basically, :whathesaid: If the company's decent then it will just get them back to "as new".

* or "rounden" them, I suppose
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

I did mine at Diamond alloys in Northolt. Powder coated and they fixed a front wheel which was slightly buckled. That was a few years back and so far so good.

A few flakes of paint are coming off in the odd area and i graunched one of the rears on a kerb. All good apart from that. I will probably get them redone at some point...
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Ainmhidh »

Company near here claims they can fill-weld chips and kerbing on alloys between stripping and repaint/coat so they end up 'good as new'. They also do ceramic coating on the new paint for ongoing resilience.
No idea on cost, but I do intend to take a set of R3 rims to them, at least for a quote, later in the year.
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Just Google for London I see two garages charge 220 if you bring wheels with out tyres. 260 with tyres diamond cut is over 300.
Im planing to bring my horable orange wheels to make them black
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

I paid 280 for all 4 tyres when I did mine. Dropped the car off and collected the next day with alloys looking brand new.
Paul_13
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Paul_13 »

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/?doi ... 0820312500

I've used this company a number of years ago. Highly recommended
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by WildMan10 »

No.
As to prices, they vary. In general you get what you pay for.
Amusingly, my nearest is expensive (£350 for 4 18”) and the reception said they wouldn’t do my forged Rays as they were wary of poor quality aftermarket wheels.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

Citywheelrefurb in digbeth did all four of mine for £120 that included taking tyres off and fitting new ones for me without tyres it's £80. They get thousands of wheels through a week so stack them high sell it cheap.

A lot of local businesses sub contract to them and charge a lot more.

My wheels were absolutely fubared so corroded etc and they brought them up like new

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

plas87 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:46 pm
As the title says really. My Prodrive PZ alloys could do with a refurb and I know they're not forged or anything (I think some type of aluminium alloy?) but I wouldn;t want the refurbishment process to add more weight than in stock form. Also, will it reduce the structural strength?
Hi and to answer your question,
The PZ alloys are spray painted and lacquered as standard ( as are the S1 wheels )
Spray painting is the lightest option and the wheels have not been through a heat cycle associated with powder coating.
All the PZ wheels that I have weighed have been 9 Kls not the 8 Kls stated by the factory.
Powder coating can add a kilo to a wheel of that size and put it through its first heat cycle associated with powder coating, ( you would have to ask a metallurgist about effects )
You should only use a trusted powder coating place as there have been cases of catastrophic shattering of powder coated wheels and I beIeve there were some photos on here some years ago. ( Someone capable of using the search may be able to find them )
You can get more effects with painting than powder coating.

When I powder coat my single seater race car chassis I remove the old by hand and weigh it and the chassis, I ask the company to apply the minimum weight of powder and reweigh after.
Regards
Pete
Last edited by Conan on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Conan for the post:
v-rex (Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm)
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeriousSam »

It's been said before I'm sure, but the only thing that reduces the strength of the wheel is cracking or buckling, at which point the strength can't be put back. A refurb won't make things any worse than they already are, but if the wheel needs welding or straightening then it was already slightly weakened, and the repair process only ensures that it will now seal and balance properly.

If you ever find yourself heading down the M3 then MyAlloys in Basingstoke are good. Last time I asked they quoted £60 a corner for 18" wheels in a basic finish - funky paint jobs or diamond turning cost extra, as do larger wheels. Take the wheels off the car and you save a bit, take the tyres off the wheels and you save a bit more.

There are also mobile companies who will come to you and do the job on the spot. It saves the hassle of delivering the wheels or car to the refurb shop, but you pay a little more for the privilege and they can't repair everything. Light cosmetic scuffs will be fine, but if you want a full strip and repaint then drop them off somewhere with the facilities to either shot blast or acid dip the wheels before getting started.
These users thanked the author SeriousSam for the post:
v-rex (Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:53 pm)
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

There you go Sam’s a metallurgist and you should always listen to experts.
My post is accurate to the best of my ability and experience but I wish I hadn’t bothered and won’t post on this thread again.

I suggest you goggle “ powder coating wheel failures “ or similar “
Regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

For a really good quality refurb I use these guys.
https://www.lepsons.com

I even got the Mercedes Dealer I worked at changed to Lepsons,
After seeing a set of Diamond Cut Triumph Stag wheels they done.
I’ve use others but for a first class job it goes to Lepsons.
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ainmhidh »

I'm definitely not a metallurgist, but (courtesy of google) it does look like the hardening temps for powder-coating are in the realms of the hardening temps for aluminium and some/many Aluminium alloys, so it may not reduce the 'strength' of the wheels (in fact may make them more 'rigid') but, at the same time could make them more brittle, thus less resilient to impacts?
I'd certainly be relying on an expert opinion before considering a powder-coat. Left to my own decision, I'd be going with a low-temp curing (possibly UV curing?) painted finish. I'm also not a paint/painting expert - in case that wasn't obvious! ;)
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

In the first few years I had a few scuffs fixed on the edges with some sort of filler and painted ( through mazda dealers and their affiliated body shops ) and they fell off after a while. Even though I had my worries about heat cycles, I still went down the powder coating route after that and that has worked out well. The wheels have held their appearance for a long time.

I am tempted to do refurb again, but now am worried about putting the wheels through a 2nd heat cycle..... I heard a good place will slowly heat up, not get too hot and then let it cool slowly to minimize any damage to the alloys. But that may be something that I was just told as I looked gullible enough to believe it.

Is it time for a group buy of PZ wheels ? :D I certainly could do with some nice new shiny center caps.... I have one left from before which I am saving for whichever wheel pops it's one out first and then I'm screwed.
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

shroom wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:56 am
Citywheelrefurb in digbeth did all four of mine for £120 that included taking tyres off and fitting new ones for me without tyres it's £80. They get thousands of wheels through a week so stack them high sell it cheap.

My wheels were absolutely fubared so corroded etc and they brought them up like new

I have been using these guys for years from Ferrari wheels to race wheels and they are brilliant and incredibly cheap but as stated they do thousands so can pass on the savings. Highly recommended if are in the West Midlands area.

Ranjan.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Ranjan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm
shroom wrote:

I have been using these guys for years from Ferrari wheels to race wheels and they are brilliant and incredibly cheap but as stated they do thousands so can pass on the savings. Highly recommended if are in the West Midlands area.

Ranjan.
Do you powdercoat or just paint ? If powdercoating, have you ever suffered from a wheel cracking or anything like that ? From lurking on the forums I take it you drive some serious cars, seriously fast and seriously hard. So I take your opinion on this matter seriously....
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

All cast alloy wheels have been through a heat treatment process between the casting and machining stages. To understand more about alloy wheels manufacturing then put the kettle on, open a beer or grab a glass (bottle) of wine and click on the link below;
https://www.engineeringclicks.com/aluminium-car-wheels/
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

Good god, I cannot believe these myths still do the rounds; as already been stated powder coating will not reduce strength only an unrepaired or unseen crack will do that. Most reputable coaters will check the wheels for cracks and advise you. Once a wheel has been damaged, I will not use it again as it is never the same again in terms of rigidity no matter how good the repair.

Bugatti make you change all the wheels every two years damaged or not just as a precaution against undetected cracks.

Ranjan.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Erk! Every two years must make a hole in ones wallet!
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Ranjan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm
Good god, I cannot believe these myths still do the rounds; as already been stated powder coating will not reduce strength only an unrepaired or unseen crack will do that. Most reputable coaters will check the wheels for cracks and advise you. Once a wheel has been damaged, I will not use it again as it is never the same again in terms of rigidity no matter how good the repair.

Bugatti make you change all the wheels every two years damaged or not just as a precaution against undetected cracks.

Ranjan.
I thought I'd be ok so powdercoated mine but the posts on here starting to put the fear in me....

Glad I didn't buy that Bugatti in the end. They look so cheap when you look at the list price but they get you on maintenance and servicing.... :shock:
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:41 pm)
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Veyron wheels are £20k each
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

Ranjan wrote:
shroom wrote:

Ranjan.
Good to hear Ranjan a few people I have said to can't believe the price and think there is a catch but genuinely they are awesome!

I'm over Bridgnorth way so ain't too far to travel over to drop them off.

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

Ranjan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm
I believe they also make you change all the tyres if you do a top speed run. And they cost £20k a set.