Place for discussions about the RX-8
DanM777
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thinking about buying a RX8

Post by DanM777 »

You guys probably get this a lot I’m 19 and for a while now been looking at the RX7’s and RX8’s and have been thinking they are brilliant, never really worked on a car before but it’s something I want to get into, so few questions are, what’s the RX8 like to work on for a beginner? Do any of you use it as a Daily Driver? I know this place might be a bit biased but truthfully what are some of the negatives of getting a RX8?

Thanks in advance, Dan
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Thinking about buying a RX8

Post by delta0 »

First thing is it is not really a car for being a daily. It has a drinking habit and is going to cost you a lot of fuel on top of the high tax and (as you are 19) insurance.

However they are a fun car and easy to work on (although I lack space to do it these days). The forums are full of info to get you started. A few things to make sure you check and maintain are the ignition system otherwise that can fail and take out the cat and eventually the engine. Check the oil level every 1-2 fuel stops as it uses a small amount just to lubricate the inside of the engine. Compression, make sure the car you get has a compression test certificate that is recent and from a reputable place.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
Mherby
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Mherby »

As above, plus just bear in mind whilst the RX8 can be cheap to buy it isn't necessarily a cheap car to run (I know this is mentioned above as well with regards to fuel/tax etc, but seen a couple of people on here who have had them then can't keep up with the costs). Having said that, if you do get one I couldn't recommend joining the club enough, there is a lot of knowledge and help here.
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 »

At ur age I'd look at some insurance quotes before u comit to buying one,
Other then that,pretty much what the other guys have said .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

njkmr
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by njkmr »

I would say easy enough to work on and learn about but as said above check it wont bankrupt you first .
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Don't wanna sound like a stuck record, but get an insurance quote first. So many young guys on here going "I've bought an 8 and they want £2,000 for insurance WTF?!".

Ultimately as has been said, also, is that they are cheap to buy but the running costs aren't great. They need frequent oil changes, and drink fluids of all kinds.

They are easy to work on and maintain, though, so that's a plus. Everything is (fairly) accessible and easily achievable by someone who has fairly basic engineering logic.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

Mine has been a daily driver for nearly 6 years, wouldn't have it any other way.. just need a decent wallet, on the upside mine has been trouble free since 2014 apart from the inevitable modding that is a by-product of the RX8.. an irresistible force :lol:
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Just to add to the warnings...

The RX8 doesn't do well on cheap tyres or cheap replacement ignition coils or exhaust cats, or cold air intakes.

Buy a car that needs quality replacements and it'll cost you more than you paid for said car, before you dare drive it; unless you want to be paying for an engine rebuild and/or ditch recovery.

These days, hidden body rot can kill a car faster than a sick engine, and costs more to put right.

Don't let that put you off, just buy with your head not just your heart.
The fact that you came here first is a great sign.
There are many members that are happy to go along with a prospective new owner and look at potential purchases (many located around the North East ;) )

Adding your location to your profile may solicit some offers
https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/ucp.php?i=164

You'd also be welcome to come along to any of the local meets, to chat to owners and see their cars.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: DanM777 and what they ^^^ all said. :nod:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Adrian Flux
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
Has thanked: 0

Post by Adrian Flux »

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
These users thanked the author Adrian Flux for the post:
New Duke (Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:12 pm)
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

DanM777 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:55 am
You guys probably get this a lot I’m 19 and for a while now been looking at the RX7’s and RX8’s and have been thinking they are brilliant, never really worked on a car before but it’s something I want to get into, so few questions are, what’s the RX8 like to work on for a beginner? Do any of you use it as a Daily Driver? I know this place might be a bit biased but truthfully what are some of the negatives of getting a RX8?

Thanks in advance, Dan
As I looked for a rx8 in past I can give you few general advice
GO for lowest milage you can find. sub 45,000 miles
stay away of the + 70,000 cars, try to find one as original as possible.
dont fool for aftermarket parts and heavily modified cars. best could be before 2006 models hence low tax almost half and 231 versions.
forget PZ or Kuro or Limited sh*t cause they been owned mostly by young rookies or if they having top nick they wont be on sale.
Ignore some cosmetic flaws and look for rust free one

this cars are not cheap to keep or run specially the rotary mafia in uk try to rip you off as much as they can :|
car with age is like old person if you know what I mean ;)
and there is huge confusion over available information, in some parts it even make qualified mechanics lost ! #-o
Ryan Rotary Performance
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance »

Dentist wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:05 pm
this cars are not cheap to keep or run specially the rotary mafia in uk try to rip you off as much as they can :|
Just thought I'd put a selfie up :lol:
1535660748_Offer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Ryan Rotary Performance for the post (total 5):
qwakers (Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 pm) • Mherby (Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 am) • v-rex (Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:52 am) • Honkytonk (Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:25 pm)
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob »

i must confess i am a little disappointed that my kuro is in fact sh#t, doubly so as i have two of them. and these remarks from an extremely well respected expert, to say i am gutted would be an under statement.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post (total 4):
qwakers (Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 pm) • nightfire10 (Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:06 pm) • Mherby (Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:52 am)
Rob :thumright:
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Nickp47 »

Always had you down as a young rookie Rob, now we know it to be true ;)
njkmr
Club Member
Club Member

Post by njkmr »

Ummm my Kuro was in top nick and its just been sold.

Not sure the Dentist got much correct in his advice ...!

I would then suggest if you want advice about RX8,s don't go to the Dentist...!
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

^^^ Ditto
John

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Hah rotary mafia is very popular then due Spanish people sending their engines over here cuz we have good rebuild places
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
acegeezer (Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm)
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Thinking about buying a RX8

Post by GreySilver Beast »

It's always nice to find Experts on here who know what they are talking about =D> =D> =D> =D> :twisted:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
acegeezer (Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm)
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Dentist wrote:
forget PZ or Kuro or Limited sh*t cause they been owned mostly by young rookies or if they having top nick they wont be on sale.
Thanks for this. Made me laugh on a Tuesday morning.

First time I've enjoyed one of your posts :thumleft:
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post (total 3):
acegeezer (Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:28 am) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:23 am) • Dentist (Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 pm)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:23 am
Dentist wrote:
Thanks for this. Made me laugh on a Tuesday morning.

First time I've enjoyed one of your posts :thumleft:
:lol: I haven't enjoyed any :lol:
John

Mherby
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Mherby »

goodeggbob wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 pm
i must confess i am a little disappointed that my kuro is in fact sh#t, doubly so as i have two of them. and these remarks from an extremely well respected expert, to say i am gutted would be an under statement.
Likewise Rob, can't believe I spent all that money supporting the Rotary Mafia having the engine rebuilt on my PZ. #-o
These users thanked the author Mherby for the post:
goodeggbob (Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 pm)
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Honkytonk »

Just to add my two penneth as a fellow new inductee to the rotary church compared to the seasoned veterans on here, here's what I found looking for, buying, and living with mine for the first 4-ish months;

Mileage isn't as important as the previous owner's care regimen. This car is the ultimate example of preventative maintenance costing you less in the long run. Oil changes, sparks, coils, etc. need to be of top quality to look after the engine. Similarly, all rebuilds are not equal. A recent rebuild can be worse than one that's done 90k+ miles on the original engine, particularly as rebuild warranties often don't transfer between owners. When looking, be on the lookout specifically for rust - be aware of it and keep on top of it if it appears. Get a good chassis if you can and get it sealed asap. Loads of guides on here to sort that out/where to look for it.

It will cost you. In insurance and tax for the post-2006 models for starters. Sometimes the wallet drain comes in dribs and drabs, sometimes in a big sum. You can look after one on a budget (most of us, including me, do), but be aware that can mean you have to leave it parked for a while before the funds are able to support 'the next thing' (Plenty will SORN it to avoid the taxman when it's not in a state to drive).

You can daily it, but they do chug fuel, particularly in urban driving. So just factor that in. Also they don't like being turned on and off quickly. So if you're like me and go to the shops on the way home from work (supermarket is just round the corner...), you might have to do a bit of idling or more driving than expected before getting out of the car to make sure it's up to temperature. I limit myself to 1 drive to work a week, mostly for fuel reasons...

To do work on, my knowledge is admittedly limited so far, but it's easy to access most regular items, and being sensibly Japanese there's consistent sizing of bolts etc. (you'd be surprised how rare that is...), most of the parts are readily available for cheap, there's the 'COUGH' amazing Owners club 'COUGH' that you should seriously consider joining for the technical manuals, discounts, and general camaraderie when a day's work goes south.

To live with, it's a fantastic car. Having those 2 extra seats makes it a legitimate practical car, with a decent boot. You can have a quiet, comfortable, nice cruiser or a screaming banshee depending which end of the rev range you sit. You can spend your entire day in 2nd gear if you want (I do now and then). :thumright:

If you still want one, here's the 4 tips I took away from looking for mine;

1. Hot starts - Cold starts are easier fixes (normally service items), but Hot Starts are where the money's at (in that you'll have to spend plenty of it to fix the issue...). Once it's nice and hot, turn it off and on again and see how ready it is to fire up.

2. Rust - I.... didn't follow this suggestion perhaps as well as I should have. But look out for rust.

3. Cheap car does not equal bad car necessarily, as sometimes cheap ones can be saved with a couple of easy to source bits. But you have to know what you're looking for.

4. Talk to the owner about the service regimen/care the car's had. If they don't know about oil, coils,plugs etc., I'd walk away. Bought my PZ mostly based on the previous owners taking care of the engine properly.
Last edited by Honkytonk on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post:
Shagrington (Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:43 pm)
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Duncan is totally correct in this assessment of what to look out for, however, because of the idiosyncrasies of the rotary engine and the urban legends that surround it, *sometimes* it's possible to pick up a total bargain from an ill-informed seller.

Certainly before body rust became a significant factor we had members (both new and old) getting cars, sometimes even from used car dealers, that had "knackered engines" only to find an oily MAF or a couple of disconnected HT leads, or just simply flooded. Those cars went on to provide excellent service for many years despite their bargain basement price tags.

At least one of these was bought on the assumption that a rebuild would be required, and priced to match, which can also be a viable strategy even if you're not lucky enough to discover a trivial fault.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Honkytonk (Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Honkytonk »

Yup, there are definitely bargains to be had out there if you know where and what to look for!
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!