Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

RX8 Syncro Saver Feedback

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

OIOI!

Was going to put this in my build thread (probably still will so it's all in one place), however I thought others may benefit or be interested.

For those who don't know, the Race Roots Syncro Saver is a little metal frame which bolts to the top of the transmission. It limits the throw of the stock shifter just enough - in theory - to prevent damage to the syncros (I say in theory as it's open for debate on whether it has any effect at all):

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... r#p1140159

With that in mind, I had one that I ordered ages ago and FINALLY got around to fitting it before putting the R3 back on the road yesterday.

It requires a bit of tweaking to get the positioning just right, and the R3 requires a little bit of extra work to trim down the rubber gaitor, however the shift feel is great. It's especially noticeable in the lower gears, but when you are driving hard and shifting quick you get the lovely 'snick' kinda noise and feel that people enjoy with a short shifter. If it does help prevent damage to the syncros then it's a bit of a plus, but purely from a shift feel perspective it's awesome.

Also, whilst not actually shortening the throw required to get the car in to gear, it actually serves to shorten the physical throw a little bit as well.

All in all I'd say it was a good mod for those who didn't want to go full on short shifter, but still wanted an improved shift feel - especially for those who own an R3 as short shifter kits are few and far between (and come with their own foibles).
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post (total 2):
V8 Power (Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 pm) • jwalla17 (Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 am)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Re: RX8 Syncro Saver Feedback

Post by V8 Power »

Good feedback Dan.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

Can't see how that would save a synchro, since the synchro rings will be locked up and the dogs fully engaged by the time it's in gear anyway...
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

That's what I'm saying, I can't see it making much difference, however it does make for a very nice shifter feel over the stock - so that counts as a win to me.
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
RenesisRaceBuggy (Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm)
DOC 787B

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

And it's only a hundred bucks for that feel at the moment. Do you remember how much shipping was with raceroots Dan? The checkout won't calculate the shipping cost for me unless I give it my DNA and blood type first.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

I'm convinced that avoiding GL5 spec gear oil would be much more beneficial to avoiding synchro issues, especially with the S1 231 6-speed, than anything that this device could achieve.

Mazda changed all their documentation, at various points between 2004-06, to show that only GL4 oils should be used with the 6-speed 'box.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
RenesisRaceBuggy (Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

New Duke wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm
And it's only a hundred bucks for that feel at the moment. Do you remember how much shipping was with raceroots Dan? The checkout won't calculate the shipping cost for me unless I give it my DNA and blood type first.
I got it whilst a mate was over in the US so it was only domestic shipping for me. It's not that big or heavy, so can't see it being too expensive.

If you swing by my way to pick up those bits then you're welcome to have a sit in Frank and whizz the gearstick around to see what you think of it.

And in response to Dave, yes - we all agree that GL5 is a bad time for our gearboxes. As said above, I don't think this really does protect the syncros all that much, if at all, but I already had it in my possession and it does make the shifter feel nicer.
DOC 787B

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Resurrecting an old thread here.

I ordered a Syncro Saver on 3rd April 2023, and having sent Scott reminder emails one a month, the item finally arrived here today, 15th January 2024. So that's 9½ months delivery (gestation?)

It came with a couple of stickers, but no instructions.

The website has photos of one installed but I couldn't find any instructions or link to a video there either, so will have to start digging later.

The hope is that this may help, along with a fresh fill of Redline MTLV, in stopping the crunching changing up to 4th gear, at max revs, when the powertrain is really hot.

This being a scenario that's difficult to replicate on the road, still accelerating hard from 95 mph, having being doing max revs/load for at least a few miles.

I'll have to get hold of my mate Donal who's now the Manager of Kirkistown Circuit, and see if I can slip in a few laps next time they're running a testing day.

TBH the biggest risk is that this item goes on my ToDo shelf, alongside the new coolant header tank, and doesn't get fitted this year....
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
HarSc (Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:22 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

The redline might, the shiny tat won't ;)