How to improve Ignition

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

How to improve Ignition

Post by Dentist »

Since the argue over ignition is most of times mislead to marketing stuff I will introduce you with few alternative
solutions.

Part one

Basics :
The ignition coil as the name suggested is consisted of wire coils, primary and secondary wires.
Primary is short and thick whereas the secondary is long and thin, If we magnetise primary with 14V 5Amp and cut the currant
the secondary will charge with ~20,000 30,000V and very low Amp.
This day all of the coils are dry, back in day they were wet and cooled with oil.

To charge the primary coil we need switch as physically breaker point( contact breaker points palatine) or electrically(driver) power transistor or mosfet.

These days engines we are using coils which including the drive it self, in other world the ECU doesn't have the drivers inside of it,
before introduction of the coil on plugs we had Double ignition coils which consists of a classic coil design BUT the both ends of secondaries
terminated to spark plugs, where as in classic arrangement the one side connected to primary near negative terminal.

smaple of 4 MOSFET unites/ driver/ modules I used in my M10 project to drive coils

One is using of the Double ignition coils, instate of connecting each end of secondly to a plug, we can connect both ends to a plug,
so we double energy which goes through a plug.

Other is using BMW coil on plugs, they are cheap and easy to source, google :Bosch ignition coil 0221504470 around £16 each.
The tip can be remove easily and attaching spark leads.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: How to improve Ignition

Post by warpc0il »

The primary challenges that face the Renesis ignition system relate to duty cycle and charge time (dwell angle).

As a forum guest, you don't have access to the 70% of the forum content that it restricted to members-only, this includes the Technical library and a huge amount of debate on this a many other subjects.

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/members ... Select.php
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

warpc0il wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:06 pm
The primary challenges that face the Renesis ignition system relate to duty cycle and charge time (dwell angle).

As a forum guest, you don't have access to the 70% of the forum content that it restricted to members-only, this includes the Technical library and a huge amount of debate on this a many other subjects.

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/members ... Select.php
In my personal believe the knowledge should be in access of every member.
I had few experimental back in day with Megasquirt to push a single coil to a round 17000 rpm as 4 stroke engine,
a roter on 9000rpm = 9000*3= 27,000 cycles !!! it's not even 1 stroke engine its 1/3 stroke :D dwell angle is going to be very low too... good capacitors are must.
in my tests most of cases the drive failed till I used upgraded mosfet and coil failed.
there are ways to make coils cooler, as temperature will reduce efficiency and life of coils. I will talk about them later on cause
one part is producing energy and other part serving it.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but in your opening post you said "use BMW coils as they're cheap and easy to source" but then in your second post you pointed out that in your tests the drive failed, and then once you upgraded the mosfet the coil failed?

This isn't marketing, it's just a fact, that the current RRP coils don't require separate mosfet, don't require butchering of another coil that would lose warranty and are capable of the duty cycles required by a rotary engine up at max RPM (mine is running them with a 10k rev limit).

Happy to discuss coils, as I'm sure lots of people on here are to a degree, but it's understanding what you're planning on achieving.

Also: Knowledge is available to every member. Currently you're a forum guest :) Sadly the club can't run itself.
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
Shagrington (Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:40 pm)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

Dentist wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:42 pm
I had few experimental back in day with Megasquirt to push a single coil to a round 17000 rpm as 4 stroke engine,
a roter on 9000rpm = 9000*3= 27,000 cycles !!! it's not even 1 stroke engine its 1/3 stroke :D dwell angle is going to be very low too... good capacitors are must.
17000rpm on a 4 stroke engine is equivalent (in terms of coil duty cycle) to just 8500rpm in a rotary. We all do that almost every day. some of us (me included) run our engines up to 10000rpm. We need serious coils for this. That's why there are very few coils that this forum will recommend.

Your sum is wrong. A rotary doesn't fire three times per rev. Each rotor fires once per e-shaft rev. 9000rpm means 9000 coil fires per minute per rotor, so each of the Renesis coils fires 9000 times per minute at max revs.

All these sums, technical discussions, and testing exist on the forum. Join up and you will be able to see it. Non-members would always like to be access all the information on the forum (of course), but it's not going to happen. Contribute by joining and you will see all the history and information available.
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

Join the club properly as a member, as you are relating to a "rotary" and get into the tech section.. the rotary manuals and bulletins have all the info you need. I don't understand the reason for your post as a guest if we gave out all the goodies freely, there would be no members at all now would there ;) :-k
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by geofftl1000r »

Motorcycles used the wasted spark method for decades so the number of times a coil was expected to fire must have been very close to (or above) that required for a rotor.
The ignition system on an RX8 was designed some time ago now and there must be better systems around. I don't see the point of reinventing the wheel on an RX8 though but happy to have a listen.
40th Anniversary RX8
R3 Wheels: PZ Coilovers: RRP 'Red' Coils: RRP Engine mounts (softer ones): RRP COFS: RRP Blue Pulleys: Silicon hoses in blue: Goodridge brake lines: HEL clutch line: Racing Beat ARB's: SS Braided oil lines: Mishimoto radiator (oem fans)
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

what is it that is so incendiary about coil discussions, i am happy to just take advice and get on with it, this wouldn't be the first disagreement,even in my short membership.
Rob :thumright:
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 am
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but in your opening post you said "use BMW coils as they're cheap and easy to source" but then in your second post you pointed out that in your tests the drive failed, and then once you upgraded the mosfet the coil failed?

This isn't marketing, it's just a fact, that the current RRP coils don't require separate mosfet, don't require butchering of another coil that would lose warranty and are capable of the duty cycles required by a rotary engine up at max RPM (mine is running them with a 10k rev limit).

Happy to discuss coils, as I'm sure lots of people on here are to a degree, but it's understanding what you're planning on achieving.

Also: Knowledge is available to every member. Currently you're a forum guest :) Sadly the club can't run itself.
Part one
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

PeteH wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 am
Dentist wrote:
. Non-members would always like to be access all the information on the forum (of course), but it's not going to happen. Contribute by joining and you will see all the history and information available.
Nice try but wrong approach, actually you have to pay me to talk about secrets :d
considering the open source all over internet and loads of info in American and other English speaking countries why should even think to pay
to be "member of club" :lol:

Anyway, 99,9 of the info are prescription, they are not even explanation nor displanation [-X
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

goodeggbob wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:57 pm
what is it that is so incendiary about coil discussions, i am happy to just take advice and get on with it, this wouldn't be the first disagreement,even in my short membership.
part two coming soon
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

It is funny how the club members and other colourful member rush to topic of a gust.
When I be in mood I'll be write, writers are like artist, when they are not in mood they don't work.....
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

I'm on nights tonight,hang on a sec and let me grab some popcorn!!
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post (total 2):
Dazza44 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 am)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 »

Coils, coils, bloody coils, u ain't going to get any better then either mazda c, or RRP, no matter how much u mess around with them u ain't going to get any super power gains and that's that, RRP coils All ready offer lifetime warranty on his so when or if they fail he will replace them,
What more is to gain ..??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm no longer a member not currently.
Last edited by Dazza44 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Well, you sound cryptically irksome.

My point currently stands based on what you've said. Also, the effort versus reward conversation needs to be had - there is an adequate product out there for 95% of applications and then the AEM coils for those who feel they might be in the 5%...

Have you met a guy called Robin? :-P
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
Dazza44 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 pm)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

Robin is that you? :p
These users thanked the author Eddie_r32 for the post (total 3):
Dazza44 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 pm) • Nickp47 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 pm) • kopite72 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:11 pm)
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

:giggle:
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

Well, somebody needs to pull up the red carpet here, roll it up and put it away Einstein has left the building :lol: =D>
These users thanked the author acegeezer for the post:
nightfire10 (Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 pm)
John

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

loll to all
Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist »

Actually you know what ? I wont be bothering to write other parts.
keep your popcorn with double juicy cream in jgentleman club lolll
AndyBrad
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by AndyBrad »

shame.
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

meets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
Ryan Rotary Performance
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance »

Juey wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 am

meets

Brilliant! Made me chuckle, not seen that in ages!
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

Phew, I thought war and peace had taken a turn for the worse ;)
John

geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by geofftl1000r »

PeteH wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 am
Dentist wrote:
17000rpm on a 4 stroke engine is equivalent (in terms of coil duty cycle) to just 8500rpm in a rotary. We all do that almost every day. some of us (me included) run our engines up to 10000rpm. We need serious coils for this. That's why there are very few coils that this forum will recommend.

Your sum is wrong. A rotary doesn't fire three times per rev. Each rotor fires once per e-shaft rev. 9000rpm means 9000 coil fires per minute per rotor, so each of the Renesis coils fires 9000 times per minute at max revs.

All these sums, technical discussions, and testing exist on the forum. Join up and you will be able to see it. Non-members would always like to be access all the information on the forum (of course), but it's not going to happen. Contribute by joining and you will see all the history and information available.

A 4 cylinder engine with a single coil, points and a distributor would need to fire 2 times per revolution (every 180 degrees). So even a crappy old Mini A series coil would need to fire 10,000 times at 5000 rpm?
An old V8 every 90 degrees so 20,000 times at 5000 rpm?
I can't see this being correct if it is so difficult to make a coil that can fire 9000 times at 9000rpm. :-k :study:
40th Anniversary RX8
R3 Wheels: PZ Coilovers: RRP 'Red' Coils: RRP Engine mounts (softer ones): RRP COFS: RRP Blue Pulleys: Silicon hoses in blue: Goodridge brake lines: HEL clutch line: Racing Beat ARB's: SS Braided oil lines: Mishimoto radiator (oem fans)