Place for discussions about the RX-8
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Wheel/Tyre size impact on alignment settings

Post by New Duke »

Having had my suspension replaced with the new PZ kit it's time to get the wheels aligned. The steering occasionally 'wanders' on the road and track and it's not been aligned since 2016, and that was only to Mazda's vague specs. So it feels badly needed. I intend to get the garage to set it up focused for track use once I've figured out ballpark settings.

I was intending to have it set up with my track 18inch wheels and 225/40/18 tyres which I assume makes the ride height a bit lower than my road 19inch wheels on 225/40/19. I don't really have the space or even surface to accurately measure the difference in ride heights at home. But from reading ride height seems to form the basis of all adjustments.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether after setting it up for track on smaller wheels the handling would be (significantly) impacted by then using larger (but lighter) 19s on the road?

I plan on driving the NC500 and Alto de Velefique in Spain this year so want to have it both ways in what essentially is now my track car.
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Wheel/Tyre size impact on alignment settings

Post by 13Black »

The ride height which I think you're referring to with alignment is how compressed the springs are depending on how weighted the car is - distance between top of wheel arch and wheel centre.

You can fit monster truck wheels/tyres to alter the ride height but this alignment measurement won't change, so I don't think you should be concerned.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post (total 2):
casey (Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 pm) • New Duke (Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm)
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

:whathesaid:

Wheels and tyres have no affect on the geometry settings. The camber, caster, and toe settings, and the ride height (measured from the wheel centre to the wheel arch) are all totally unaffected by whatever wheels and tyres you fit.

Fun fact. F1 cars have their wheel alignment done with no wheels fitted.......
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post (total 2):
casey (Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 pm) • New Duke (Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Just to confirm those answers
alignment table.jpg
"Vehicle height: From the end of the fender to the centre of the wheel"

You could check the alignments with the wheels removed, as long as the weight of the car is on the hubs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
New Duke (Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Excellent thanks guys. Yep I'd misunderstood ride height. That's good news to read. Will even save me putting the track wheels on when I get it done.
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

Similar to the above, when I fit suspension and have to tighten bushes up in their 'loaded' position: I don't have the wheels on, I just plonk a jack under the correct place on whatever corner it is and jack it up, then measure the distance from the bearing centre to the top of the arch to make sure they're not strained once it's back on the ground.
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

13Black wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm
Similar to the above, when I fit suspension and have to tighten bushes up in their 'loaded' position: I don't have the wheels on, I just plonk a jack under the correct place on whatever corner it is and jack it up, then measure the distance from the bearing centre to the top of the arch to make sure they're not strained once it's back on the ground.
Just one of the many reasons why I'm selfishly sad you're stopping mate. Happy for you obvs but... y'know.
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

13Black wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm
Having watched Nick fit my coilovers over a year ago,and my RacingBeat ARB's even longer ago,I can attest that he knows all about suspension 'preload'..
New Duke wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm
Just one of the many reasons why I'm selfishly sad you're stopping mate...

.. but what's all this about 'stopping' :?:

What am I missing here :?: :-k
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

No longer working on cars and doing software development instead, is me Nick 13Black, we have met before I'm sure of it :D
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

What about the vintage stuff :?: :shock:
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

Daddyo can carry on making an absolute minimal-effort bodge of everything at his own leisure without my constant 'moaning' that standards aren't good enough. I can't be having my name on the things he puts out any more - it's only a matter of time before an enormous bill for a failed part comes to bite or someone else gets hurt.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

:ouch:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ