Place for discussions about the RX-8
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Replacing battery.

Post by Phil H »

My car has started turning pretty slow on start up, so plan to replace the battery. it is showing 12.5 V, but guess the amps are low ans i don't know when it was last changed and I have had the car 3 years. i have read the FAQ on batteries, but just wondered if there are any other things to look out for once replaced, i.e. things not working.

Also got to decide what battery to get. has a Bosch S4 on at the moment and the E23 seems popular. prepared to be shot down here, but I have always got good results from Halfords batteries, my last one was good for 8 years and they list a HB030, which is the correct size, 68AH and 550 CCA, so might be an option.

Comments appreciated.

Regards, Phil.
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: Replacing battery.

Post by Dazza44 »

Nothing wrong with Halfords battery in my opinion my 8 had one in for over a year with no issues whatsoever I only changed it as I got a new battery died cheap of a friend that Halfords battery is now in my c3 and still no issues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Dazza44 for the post:
Phil H (Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:35 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The only problem with Halfrauds for batteries is, at least last time I looked, they didn't stock one that's right for the 8.

They usually fit one too small, physically and capacity, or one too large that blocks the air cooling duct.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Phil H »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:57 pm
The only problem with Halfrauds for batteries is, at least last time I looked, they didn't stock one that's right for the 8.

They usually fit one too small, physically and capacity, or one too large that blocks the air cooling duct.

Thanks for your reply Dave. The one Halfords list (HB030) is 258x173x225. This compares to the Bosch S4 which is 260x173x225 (and currently fitted to my car) and the Varta E23 261x175x220. So I don't think the size will be an issue and the rating is 68 AH and 550 CCA which again should be fine I think, if a little lower than the other options here.

Am still more than happy to take advice regarding this, thank you.
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by SeeJay »

Why not just follow the advice many here would give,regarding battery choice,and go with the Varta E23 :?:

Why opt for a battery with a lower CCA than ideal :?:
These users thanked the author SeeJay for the post:
Phil H (Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:37 pm)
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

The Varta E23 is rated at 630 CCA, the Halfords one at 550 CCA, so quite significantly different, and quite important for an RX-8.

Before any discounts, Tayna batteries are showing the E23 at £70.97 and the Halfords one is £80.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e23/

Even with delivery, and before any discount, the E23 is less than £79 delivered. The E23 is cheaper and a better rated battery.........
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 4):
Phil H (Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 pm) • New Duke (Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 pm) • SeeJay (Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:49 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Phil H »

Thanks for the replies and my plan is/was to go with the advice and order the E23 from Tanya. But to go on from this I have been a bit busy and not got round to it yet, as it didn't seem urgent as it was just a bit slow to turn over recently. Anyway I went to take the car out today after it has sat for a couple of days and it was flat, so has just died suddenly.

I can do without the car for a couple of days, so rather than go to Halfords tomorrow, where I could get one of the shelf, I will order on from Tanya and hopefully get it midweek. (Assume I would have to be a full member to get any discount?)

Now that it has died, I assume I will have traction control light on, so to reset I believe you need to turn steering lock to lock. Do I do this with just ignition on, or with the car running. Also am I going to have any other issues like fuel trims that I have heard about.

Thanks in advance.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

either ignition on or car running, doesn't matter.(although the power steering makes it somewhat easier if its running, but if you do it with the engine not running, you can then turn the ignition off and back on again to complete the reset without having to wait for it to warm up...) and fuel trims resetting has never caused me any issues, even after being disconnected for weeks. they will reset, its just nothing to worry about imho.
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Phil H »

qwakers wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 pm
either ignition on or car running, doesn't matter.(although the power steering makes it somewhat easier if its running, but if you do it with the engine not running, you can then turn the ignition off and back on again to complete the reset without having to wait for it to warm up...) and fuel trims resetting has never caused me any issues, even after being disconnected for weeks. they will reset, its just nothing to worry about imho.
Many thanks.
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Phil H »

Tanya now seem to be recommending/listing this Enduroline battery for an RX8 on their site now. Has anyone any experience of this battery, as specs look good.

I am however concerned about the length of it, as it is quoted as 266mm long and having just measured the battery compartment of the RX8 I am not convinced it is going to fit. That said, there are reviews on the Tanya site from RX owners saying they have fitted it and that it works well.

Price is not a concern, just best battery performance/fitting.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/enduroline/088/
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Forget the Enduroline. Tanya just likes to push them. Just get the Varta E23 from Tanya or wherever as suggested earlier. Fit and forget.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
Phil H (Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm)
98of400
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by 98of400 »

When you fit the new battery write the date on the top in permanent marker. Makes it easy to see how long it's been in the car.

These users thanked the author 98of400 for the post:
Phil H (Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm)
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Phil H »

Following advice on here and a recommendation in the FAQ section, I have purchased and fitted a Varta E23. Start up was quicker than it has ever been, lock to lock sorted out the DSC light, but the traction light stayed on when i took it for a drive. Turned ignition off then back on when I got back, so guess it will stay off now.

In the end I purchased the battery from the Battery Megastore and would highly recommend. I phoned to order as I wanted to check if the courier would leave the battery if there was know one in to sign for, which they would. Staff were polite, battery was a good price £75.90 delivered, which was next day.

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/car- ... a-e23.html

Thanks for the advice, Phil.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Phil H wrote:Following advice on here and a recommendation in the FAQ section, I have purchased and fitted a Varta E23. Start up was quicker than it has ever been, lock to lock sorted out the DSC light, but the traction light stayed on when i took it for a drive. Turned ignition off then back on when I got back, so guess it will stay off now.

That's how it's meant to work, 2nd time for the DSC.

Did you also remember to reset the drivers window?

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Phil H »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:49 pm
Phil H wrote:Following advice on here and a recommendation in the FAQ section, I have purchased and fitted a Varta E23. Start up was quicker than it has ever been, lock to lock sorted out the DSC light, but the traction light stayed on when i took it for a drive. Turned ignition off then back on when I got back, so guess it will stay off now.

That's how it's meant to work, 2nd time for the DSC.

Did you also remember to reset the drivers window?

Window seemed to work ok, but I did hold the switch for a few seconds when it got to the closed position.