Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Power Window Problems - Both stopped working

Post by diddyman »

Hi

Rather anoyingly both my power windows have suddenly stopped working.

Both passenger and drivers side, no matter what buttons I press.

Have checked and replaced the fuse in passenger footwell, just to make sure but it mades no difference.

When operating the window controls you can still hear a faint click in both passenger and drivers side windows, but they will not move.

I also popped off the control pannel switch on the drivers door and replugged the connector for the buttons but to no avail.

After searching a bit, I couldnt really find much else to try, but noticed a similar problem where it was suggested it was heat related, and it is a hot day today and my car is black so its super toasty.

Is it worth disconnecting the battery and doing the auto window reset, so see if they start working again (but that doesnt stop windows from working if a reset is needed right ?)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks
Mark
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Power Window Problems - Both stopped working

Post by warpc0il »

Disconnecting the battery causes the windows to forget where fully up/down is, so confuses the single-shot action until you teach them by taking them all the way up and holding for a few seconds. I don't think disconnecting the battery would help in this case.

There is the passenger window control disable switch on the drivers door, which can cause confusion, though it doesn't stop the drivers window working.

There are two fuses for the power windows;
#27 20A in the engine bay
#13 30A in the passenger footwell

one protects the control circuit and the other the motors
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
diddyman
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Power Window Problems - Both stopped working

Post by diddyman »

Cheers Dave, thought I'd try one last time before checking the fuse in engine bay and if by magic everything is now working fine again!

Must of been the heat causing the issue as much cooler today and car is not baking in direct sunlight