Values??

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Ball07
Former Member
Former Member

Values??

Post by Ball07 »

Where is best to find out a reasonably accurate guide price of an RX8 that your looking to buy? With so many special editions out there, I’d imagine that rarity plays a part along with general condition, compression tested (or not), rebuild etc. However, how do you determine a rough figure, or is the RX8 just tricky to value at the moment? Are the main stream online valuations anywhere near accurate?
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Values??

Post by 13Black »

Like almost anything used, I find a good ballpark figure to start from is looking on eBay for whatever it is and looking only at Sold items and picking out the things that are consistent with high / middle / low prices.

I'd imagine the most value-adding things are reputable recent engine rebuilds, good compression test figures, decent PZs and very rust-free shells.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rotary Potato »

I'd add decent coils & cat/decat to that list.
njkmr
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by njkmr »

Personally I would go for general condition of bodywork. If that’s sound it’s a car that will be good value in the long term .
Ball07
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ball07 »

How do the different special editions line up? Is the PZ the top one to go for or the 40th Anniversary? I’ve seen one of those on Auto trader for 5k (1 owner, apparently tested and fine) in Notts.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

If you're looking to buy an 8 then IMO the R3 is the one to go for,plenty of threads on here about the R3
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

I can put a potato up on eBay for £5k but that doesn't have anything to do with what its market value is. Could argue that if it's still for sale a few days after being listed then it's probably not a good price.
That's why I say look for what things have actually sold for as this will be (not perfect either, but) more accurate.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post:
BigPete (Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 pm)
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
BigPete
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Custom

Post by BigPete »

13Black wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 pm
I can put a potato up on eBay for £5k but that doesn't have anything to do with what its market value is. Could argue that if it's still for sale a few days after being listed then it's probably not a good price.
That's why I say look for what things have actually sold for as this will be (not perfect either, but) more accurate.
Um I thought you was a melon man not a potato lol
These users thanked the author BigPete for the post (total 2):
nightfire10 (Sat May 11, 2019 10:27 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 pm)
Bigpete

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

If I list a melon up on eBay for £5k then you know I'll just make another account and buy that sucker off myself, can't let a good one get away.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post (total 3):
BigPete (Sat May 11, 2019 8:06 pm) • nightfire10 (Sat May 11, 2019 10:28 pm) • Ainmhidh (Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 am)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Ball07 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:00 pm
How do the different special editions line up? Is the PZ the top one to go for or the 40th Anniversary? I’ve seen one of those on Auto trader for 5k (1 owner, apparently tested and fine) in Notts.
There was 800 PZ models (480 Black & 320 Grey) for the UK market and 400 (200 White & 200 Grey) 40th Anniversary.

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
nightfire10 (Sat May 11, 2019 10:28 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

I have to say it seems that S1 values are even lower than when I bought mine

as there are car's on the bay that look pretty decent for 400 to 1200 quid but something with measured good compression, no rot and mid level milage is only about 2K

R3's seems to be the exception to this though as a good car is about 4K +

which is lets face it not a lot of cash for a car of this performance and ability

at some point the values must increase but its not happening soon
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

The price rise is coming, when I bought mine 3 years ago I had hundreds to choose from. You try and find a good one for sale now, the choice has dwindled, lots of 400 quid sheds but decent ones are scarce
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
Ball07
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ball07 »

My main aim was to replace my S1 that I had a 7-8 years ago but it would be nice to get something with a certain level of rarity about it. However, these seem much harder to value than the none special edition S1. There seems to be a lot of variables to consider hence why value is a difficult one to call. I suppose I'll keep doing what I'm doing and keep watching what things go for. As I've liked my classics in the past, an S1 does appeal for the long term however, I don't see many S3s around and surely there is a point where the S1 tops out and your are into S3 money if you are happy to spend it.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Eddie_r32 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:20 pm
The price rise is coming, when I bought mine 3 years ago I had hundreds to choose from. You try and find a good one for sale now, the choice has dwindled, lots of 400 quid sheds but decent ones are scarce
Disagree Eddie,the way petrol is going it's going to be at least two quid a litre soon and that's going to kill the rotary.They'll all but disappear off the roads IMO in the next decade or so.They'll end up either in collectors garages or the scrap heap or both.

Mint rotaries that are hardly ever used,kept indoors and looked after religiously will command decent prices but I cant see prices rising for everything else.

They will get far too expensive to run and maintain for the ordinary Joe Bloggs.In Ireland I used to see a few every now and again,i saw my first one in about two years a few weeks ago,fact is they are just getting scarce now,sad but true.

Rest assured with all this climate change malarkey Govt's will increase carbon taxes on fuel and just about everything else and this will tip the balance for a lot of owners,myself included.

If its a weekend car then its doable but for daily drivers like myself it doesn't make financial sense.
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

£1.48 a ltr at shell yesterday lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Aye the amount of people whom ask me how much fuel it drinks and when I reply 20mpg at best they wince like they've sat on something sharp

strange really as 10 years ago a lot of cars were about 25 mpg so 20 mpg wouldn't have seen so bad but as nearly everything does 35+ these days its harder to stomach

you never know though fuel prices may drop due to a drop off in demand? but thats hopeful thinking as the government needs that fuel tax income and has no contingency plan in place other than to keep increasing the tax even as cars use less of it

I'm awaiting the introduction of 'special' plug in sockets for hybrids that tax car lekky at 10 times that of domestic use
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

We are going past the stage of people buying them as a main car, they are becoming second cars so price is not as much of an issue. The £400 cars will be bought by people who want a cheap car which will explode and drain there wallets but the people who buy the more expensive cars know exactly what they are getting in and will be a second car
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
Ball07
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ball07 »

Eddie_r32 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 am
We are going past the stage of people buying them as a main car, they are becoming second cars so price is not as much of an issue. The £400 cars will be bought by people who want a cheap car which will explode and drain there wallets but the people who buy the more expensive cars know exactly what they are getting in and will be a second car
100% agree. I’m looking buy one as a second car, mainly for the summer months. I think they are good value for that and prices will rise as the cheap cars ‘explode’ and disappear. I’d love to be able to drive one every day but I couldn’t justify the fuel costs throughout the year. That said, you wouldn’t want to pay over the odds (hence this post) but I’d imagine it’s better (as in any case) to spend the most you can afford.
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

I paid a bit too much for mine. I was more interested in the bodywork tbh as an engine is easier to repair than rot!

I always buy cars based on how I feel about it. If it doesn't feel right I don't buy it.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

bigpete wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 pm
13Black wrote:
Um I thought you was a melon man not a potato lol
He has gone "underground"
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by Rotary Potato »

13Black wrote:
Oi!

I'm worth more than that sweetie! :mrgreen: 8)
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

Exactly, I'd list you for at least £6k :D

£6.5k if all your shirts are included.
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

kopite72 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 am
Rest assured with all this climate change malarkey Govt's will increase carbon taxes on fuel and just about everything else and this will tip the balance for a lot of owners,myself included.

If its a weekend car then its doable but for daily drivers like myself it doesn't make financial sense.
I agree but kind of the other way round. We use a 3L V6 as the main family car, so the RX8 isn't much more fuel hungry in comparison. People expect 50+ mpg these days from new cars and fuel will forever get more expensive, but compared to other mid-2000 fun cars (which is the only fair comparison) the RX8 is fine.

What'll do it for me is the road tax, which always increases. I'll be SORNing mine when tax goes above £800 a year. It's already nearly £600. Considering I use the car for about 20 mins a week, that's very expensive tax-wise per journey. So at some point I'll garage it and save it for the track.

Down the line it may even be worth the risk to drive to the odd track day untaxed and risk the fine. Which is a ludicrous situation. If only you could tax per day for a few quid. That would be nice.
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

you can get tax per month -- DD then sorn before month is out ...
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

whilst MOT's aren't perfect, if you get caught driving without a valid one, it is only £30 which is cheaper than an MOT!?!?
if you get caught without tax, its up to £1000 fine (but would generally be less in most cases, admittedly)

the MOT is primarily a check for safety whilst road tax, is simply a tax based on emissions. The penalties just dont seem right!!!

as someone with multiple vehicles, i find the road tax system a complete joke. A decatted RX8 that does 1000miles a year would produce far less emissions than some 60-70mpg ecobox that does 15000 miles a year.
the fact you can more easily tax a vehicle for a month at a time is ok, but you are still paying a percentage of a pretty hefty bill.