Place for discussions about the RX-8
Lewis_
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Tyres And Emissions

Post by Lewis_ »

Hi , New to the forum here so ill introduce myself.

Me and my dad have been looking for a project car for a while now and then we stumbled upon an RX8 on gumtree which we bought and towed back to our house since the MOT was failed.

the MOT had a lot of issues but most were easy fix's we have already done, Now we only have the hard parts left.

Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits.This is the emissions result:Image

We also stuck a boroscope through the O2 sensor hole into the cat and it was all melted and such so we ordered a new high flow cat to replace it.

And we also had MOT advisories on all the tyres either perished or worn close to legal limit so since we bought it second hand and all the tyres installed currently are chinese ditch finders we are going to get all of the tyres refitted with good quality ones.

So we were looking at kwikfit for tyres but i see you can get them online a lot cheaper and we have a mate who can fit them at his shop for free so i am wondering if you have to go with the 225/45/18 on the rx8 or if you can go with the cheaper and easier to get hold of 225/40/18.

We were looking to get Michelin Pilot Sports 4https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/ ... gIUqfD_BwE from here which is a bargain compared to kwikfit at £90 per tyre but we realised they are 40 not 45 and the 45 are proving harder to find so any advice and experience with RX8 tyres would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for all your help :-)
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Tyres And Emissions

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

You can get them in 40 and it won't cause much issue - as long as all 4 go the same size.
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
Lewis_ (Thu May 09, 2019 9:07 pm)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Lewis_
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Lewis_ »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:09 pm
You can get them in 40 and it won't cause much issue - as long as all 4 go the same size.
Do you know if that would affect insurance?.
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 »

I run 225/40/18 wont be no issue there at all,and a hi flow cat isn't a guarantee mot pass on emissions some do some dont mine failed on emissions 2 with flow cat
And the tyres didnt effect my insurance so that shouldnt at all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

225/40 is a smaller tyre, with lower load capacity. It is not the tyre recommended by Mazda, and if you have an accident then the insurance company could use it as an excuse not to pay out.

In reality, you may not be able to tell the difference, and will probably get away with it. But why buy a great car, then spoil it by putting cheap things on it?
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dazza44 »

Why are they cheap things pete? I have rainsport 3 tyres on mine,from what ive read on here many members use them, isnt a tyre only as good as the quality you buy regardless of size.

Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ollie »

Getting tyres online is definitely cheaper. You can even get them cheaper than on such sites as blackcircles etc if you look hard enough. Or alternatively the club has a compiled list of popular brands on a site for full members with OEM or otherwise sizings.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

Dazza44 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:31 pm
Why are they cheap things pete? I have rainsport 3 tyres on mine,from what ive read on here many members use them, isnt a tyre only as good as the quality you buy regardless of size.

The poster made it clear that he wanted to use 225/40 because they were cheaper. Is a tyre only as good as the quality, regardless of size? No. The wrong size tyre is the wrong component. Some wrongly sized tyres can be fine, but some are not. 225/40 are not. They take less load, have higher stress, require more tyre pressure, ride less well, have less grip, have lower cornering stiffness, and change your gearing. All these changes may be small, but they exist. Mazda's vehicle dynamicists decided 225/45 were the best compromise. Changing to 225/40 for cost reasons is taking a risk with one of the most important components on your car.
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
Big Bob (Fri May 10, 2019 7:35 am)
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

:welcome: Lewis. For a slightly wider, lower profile and cheaper tyre that will not alter the rolling radius by nearly as much and will be the right quality you would be better off getting 235/40 or 245/40. There is a bit about tyres in the FAQs here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35714

If you join the club you will also gain access to the tyre price finder tool that checks all the online tyre sellers every morning for the best prices of the tyres of your choice.
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dazza44 »

PeteH wrote:
Dazza44 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:31 pm

The poster made it clear that he wanted to use 225/40 because they were cheaper. Is a tyre only as good as the quality, regardless of size? No. The wrong size tyre is the wrong component. Some wrongly sized tyres can be fine, but some are not. 225/40 are not. They take less load, have higher stress, require more tyre pressure, ride less well, have less grip, have lower cornering stiffness, and change your gearing. All these changes may be small, but they exist. Mazda's vehicle dynamicists decided 225/45 were the best compromise. Changing to 225/40 for cost reasons is taking a risk with one of the most important components on your car.
Thanks for the explanation pete, i personally have had no issues with mine,my car certainly handles fine for everyday road use,im not saying and im.sure this would make a difference for use on track.

Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Completely disagree there PeteH. We don't know but I am fairly certain a Michelin PIlotSport 4 in 225/40R18 is better than a Budget LingLong Find-A-Ditch in the right size. Not all tyres are created equal.

There are also benefits to running smaller tyres, as it alters the final drive ratio making the car slightly more dynamic (in my opinion). Ultimately as long as the tyre is a budget, the I would have zero problems going to an ever so slightly smaller size tyre on an 18" wheel.

Most tyre load ratings (excluding budget ditchfinders) are well in excess of anything an RX8 is likely to encounter, even running kerbs on a track day (within reason... Don't plough in to a kerb at 150 :lol: ).
DOC 787B

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

Which part of what I said are you disagreeing with, since I agree with most of your comments?

The one bit I disagree with is the load rating comment. The RX8 tyre load rating is not that far in excess of what the car can run at. The bit that everyone misses when discussing load ratings is that the load ratings are not absolute, they depend on the pressure you use. You can use smaller tyres if you increase the pressure, but that just makes them even worse! (That's why manufacturers have to tell you to raise the tyre pressures if you put lots of people and luggage in your car; otherwise you will exceed their load capability)

Smaller tyres only feel more "dynamic" in a straight line. They are always less "dynamic" (like for like) around corners.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

PeteH wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:12 pm
But why buy a great car, then spoil it by putting cheap things on it?
This bit mainly. I'd rather, as finances are absolute as well, buy a better quality smaller tyre than a more expensive but lower quality tyre in the 'correct' size...
DOC 787B

SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

Stick to the correct size from the manufacturer

You wouldn’t put cheap engine oil in a Rotary would you.

If you’ve bought a RX8 and your on a budget.
Maybe the RX8 isn’t a ideal car for you.
These users thanked the author SprintRX8 for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 am)
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

SprintRX8 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am

No, you're right, but your comparison falls down as quite a few of the members of this group run oil that is different from that specified by Mazda...

Same goes for tyres. Mazda specified Potenza tyres, most people don't run those either...
DOC 787B

Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

SprintRX8 wrote:

I've run all sorts of tyre sizes with no ill effects, but its always use quality tyres and yes you would put cheap oil in a rotary
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

Eddie_r32 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:46 am
SprintRX8 wrote:

I've run all sorts of tyre sizes with no ill effects, but its always use quality tyres and yes you would put cheap oil in a rotary

Tyres
Strangely I should of thought about posting about that before looking at my Merc
Rears are two sizes bigger than factory
But the fronts are only one size up
(Embarrassed Emoji)
Oil
You wouldn’t if you didn’t know your engine wouldn’t last as long.
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

Rx8s without a cofs/sohn should run on mineral oil, mineral oil is cheap, I have a cofs so I run probably the most expensive oil that anyone here uses motul 300v, Essex rotary sell perfectly good mineral oil at £16 for 5 litres...
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 am
Completely disagree there PeteH. We don't know but I am fairly certain a Michelin PIlotSport 4 in 225/40R18 is better than a Budget LingLong Find-A-Ditch in the right size. Not all tyres are created equal.

There are also benefits to running smaller tyres, as it alters the final drive ratio making the car slightly more dynamic (in my opinion). Ultimately as long as the tyre is a budget, the I would have zero problems going to an ever so slightly smaller size tyre on an 18" wheel.

Most tyre load ratings (excluding budget ditchfinders) are well in excess of anything an RX8 is likely to encounter, even running kerbs on a track day (within reason... Don't plough in to a kerb at 150 :lol: ).
That's brave considering that Pete is an engineer skilled in tyre and suspension specification!
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post (total 2):
mi60o0 (Sat May 11, 2019 12:18 am) • GreySilver Beast (Sat May 11, 2019 4:51 am)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I think the point here is that you can buy the same brand and model of tyre in 2 different sizes and if one size is more popular it could well be cheaper
These users thanked the author Essex2Visuvesi for the post:
Dr. FrankenRex (Sat May 11, 2019 9:45 pm)
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:12 am
That's brave considering that Pete is an engineer skilled in tyre and suspension specification!
That's as may be, but defining a 225/40 Michelin pilot sport as not fit for use compared to a 225/45 Michelin pilot sport is crazy...

It's not what Mazda specify for the car, but we have established they didn't make ALL of the best decisions for the car.

Ultimately it's a case of using sense. If the OP had posted saying "I could buy Michelin for xx or LingLong for yy, should I save the cash?" then yes, Pete's point is right, but that's not what OP is saying.

So yes, regardless of experience, education and profession, I do disagree with Pete's statement above. It's all relative to what the OP is asking
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post (total 3):
ChrisHolmes (Sat May 11, 2019 9:51 pm) • Dazza44 (Sun May 12, 2019 8:25 am) • untakenname (Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:59 am)
DOC 787B

shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

To be honest it is a bit of an odd one. My import Pulsar GTiR came with 14" wheels from factory and had the same calipers from the non turbo GTi with 100 less BHP and that was what Nissan decided. Plonk a few mods on and it's a 350bhp car in a hatchback format.

Needless to say it is very rare to see one with stock alloys so many are two or three sizes up on 16" or 17" rims. Who knows what the ideal tyre is for a 28 year old sh*t production rally car. I traded off good quality brand with a popular and good value size which suits my rims. No problems so far in 10 years of ownership.

Let's also not forget many new owners are buying these cars at sub £800 so a set of 45 can be a bit of an eye opener to go with the fuel economy and possibly tax!

Just to throw it out there, anyone getting parts worns....? I got two 6mm Continental sport 5 in a 225 45 18 for £70 for the pair and I haven't died going around Castle Combe and Silverstone yet. But I'm sure people would shudder that the potential mis use of previous owners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author shroom for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Sat May 11, 2019 11:37 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Sun May 12, 2019 8:00 am)
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

I wouldn't fit 225/40 personally. As well as the reasons Pete stated (you shouldn't need any more) they just don't look right - with 22.5mm less overall diameter they tend to look a bit weedy. If you want some more reasons your car will sit 11.25mm lower than stock, the speedo will overread by a further 2.12mph at 60 and for every 1000 miles travelled you will clock up an extra 35.3. It might be slightly noisier and bumpier too.

For a mere £7 extra per tyre I'd go for a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in the stock size.
These users thanked the author Phil Bate for the post (total 3):
ChrisHolmes (Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 pm) • PeteH (Sat May 11, 2019 11:54 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 am)
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:45 pm
defining a 225/40 Michelin pilot sport as not fit for use compared to a 225/45 Michelin pilot sport is crazy...

It's not what Mazda specify for the car, but we have established they didn't make ALL of the best decisions for the car.

Ultimately it's a case of using sense. If the OP had posted saying "I could buy Michelin for xx or LingLong for yy, should I save the cash?" then yes, Pete's point is right, but that's not what OP is saying.

So yes, regardless of experience, education and profession, I do disagree with Pete's statement above. It's all relative to what the OP is asking
You seem very sure about this, but you are not correct. Yes, Mazda got some things wrong, and for certain parts we recommend buying better, or different, components to Mazda's OE fit. For no components that I can think of do we recommend worse components. You might think a 225/40 is almost the same as a 225/45, but it has over 10% less air in it. And that is crucial in ways that only tyre physicists properly understand.

Describing my view as "crazy", given that I do actually know exactly what I'm talking about, isn't well appreciated. Your continued insistence that an inappropriate tyre will be just fine, despite having no knowledge, experience or training to make such assertions, is also not appreciated. I don't tend to give opinions on here unless I know what I am talking about, and I'm always keen to learn from those that known more than I do about a subject. It's a good philosophy to live by.

Now, I have to go to Barcelona to run the tyre tests for the McLaren F1 team. Perhaps I should ask the Pirelli head of R&D for his view about amateur "experts" on forums making random recommendations on the fitment of inappropriate tyres?
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post (total 4):
Phil Bate (Sun May 12, 2019 12:05 am) • warpc0il (Sun May 12, 2019 2:00 am) • GreySilver Beast (Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 am) • ChrisHolmes (Sun May 12, 2019 9:49 pm)
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

Phil Bate wrote:I wouldn't fit 225/40 personally. As well as the reasons Pete stated (you shouldn't need any more) they just don't look right - with 22.5mm less overall diameter they tend to look a bit weedy. If you want some more reasons your car will sit 11.25mm lower than stock, the speedo will overread by a further 2.12mph at 60 and for every 1000 miles travelled you will clock up an extra 35.3. It might be slightly noisier and bumpier too.

For a mere £7 extra per tyre I'd go for a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in the stock size.
I have the Potenzas on the rear and find them a decent tyre. Much harder compound than the continental but I don't find that hampers grip from what I have managed to do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk