Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Stormy Blue
Has thanked: 0

350z wheels

Post by Secla »

Anyone tried fitting 350z wheels
There et30 but I think they have a slight stagger is it likely to cause problems ?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: 350z wheels

Post by warpc0il »

Stagger will definitely cause a problem with the DSC/TCS/ABS unless you get clever with your selection of tyres and manage to create a setup where the front and rear rolling diameters are within less than 1% (ideally identical).

Note that on-line calculators assume that all tyres are fitted to their optimal rims, so the actual rolling diameter may be different if the tyre is stretched or over-wide for the fitment.

Even then, it's not guaranteed that you won't get some strange behaviours in particular situations, if the effective track (width between contact patches) is different between front and rear.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

They are 8.5j at the back and 8 at the front iirc
Secla
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Stormy Blue
Has thanked: 0

Post by Secla »

Ah ok. There 8j front 8.5j rear some I’m guessing you could fit a square tyre setup but as you said it could still be slightly out !
Davemitch
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Davemitch »

They will need boring out too if it's the standard wheels as the hub is smaller on 350z :)
Durham, North East.
S1 RX8 231bhp
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=75018
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

do you have any weights for a 350z wheel? as the stock Rexi item is pretty light
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

I've run staggered wheels in past, 9 and 10 J with 245 /35/18 and 255/35/18 tyres with zero issues, but it's a lottery with 8s on what sets them off
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam »

The Rays forged alloys from the 350z are lighter than the stock RX-8 rims, they're one of the few factory items for which this is the case - otherwise you need to go aftermarket to get a weight reduction. The non-Rays alloys from the 350z are definitely heavier than the RX-8 stock items.

As davemitch says, the centre bores are a mismatch, and you'll need to bore the wheels out to make them fit. Note that this isn't trivial, I had a set of these exact wheels for the last 2 years and I couldn't find any engineering firms within reasonable distance who had a lathe big enough to fit 18" rims. I've ended up selling my set because of this.

As for the fitment, the rears are wider than the fronts but they also have a different offset, so they both stick out just the same. There are online tyre calculators that could give you a good idea on what size tyre to fit, you ideally want the rolling radius to be as close as possible across the axles.

Good luck, hope you can get it to work :thumleft:
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
shroom
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by shroom »

I had the 350z rays forge on the car when I brought it, I have put the stock ones back on and you do notice how light the rays are.

Unsure how they did fit if the bore is supposedly smaller?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk