CheekyWankel
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Can I drive your car?

Post by CheekyWankel »

Hello everyone!

My friend has asked me if he can borrow my 231 on Sunday whilst his 8 is being worked on.
-
I'm undecided about letting him take it to a mini show in Colchester this weekend, I'm Very precious about my cars bear in mind.

But I'm just wondering if you're happy to let other people drive your car, and if you did let them drive it, did anything bad or regretful happen?
Or did they fall in love with the RX8 and got their own?
-
Would love to hear everyone's experiences, after all Sharing is Caring, right??
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Can I drive your car?

Post by shroom »

Guess as long as they are mechanically sympathetic and a friend then I couldn't see a problem with it. Very much depends on the person, there are some of my friends I would not have any issues with and there are others I wouldn't lend them my lawn mower let alone a car.

You will just need to keep in mind that in the unlucky event something does fail it is very unlikely they caused it and it's just pot luck, similar to if a stone hit the wind screen and damaged it. Just get over it it's life.

To be fair I actually like a passenger ride in my car and often egg the driver on much more than they would expect lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

Absolutely nobody drives mine.. except bigpete for testing purposes :-k :roll: :whistle:
These users thanked the author acegeezer for the post (total 2):
BigPete (Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 pm) • CheekyWankel (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 pm)
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
BigPete
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Custom

Post by BigPete »

acegeezer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:49 pm
Absolutely nobody drives mine.. except bigpete for testing purposes :-k :roll: :whistle:
😂😂
These users thanked the author BigPete for the post:
acegeezer (Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:51 pm)
Bigpete

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary
Humane-Hobgoblin
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 13B 4-port

Post by Humane-Hobgoblin »

In my opinion, I wouldn’t let anyone but Rotary enthusiast drive my 8 unless it’s an emergency.

The only time I’ve let other people drive my RX8 is when my cousin is MoT testing it, (and that’s just driving it on and off the ramp) or when Luke Murdoch works on my car. I get him to drive it up and down the industrial estate I work on so a) I can see what my car looks like going down the road, b) actually hear it roaring down said road and c) get a second opinion on how the car feels.

My Mum is on my insurance, but she said she’s scared of driving it... even though she’s a pillion on a Sprint Hillclimb sidecar, driven a 400bhp Westfield on the same Hillclimb and hoons around in a Kia Cee’d Pro GT

Opinions are opinions though! S’all down to you, my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

ill let anyone drive mine, lemon took mine out last year at jdm coombe. all i could do in the passenger seat was smile, its a different perspective and its nice to see what you car can do when someone else drives :)

if i trust someone (and i usually determine that within the first 5 mins of meeting you) then i have no qualms lending my car to someone, although if im not in the passenger seat, (unless ive known them for more than 5 mins lol) ill want some form of security so i can be sure ill get it back :lol:
Humane-Hobgoblin
Former Member
Former Member

qwakers wrote:ill let anyone drive mine, lemon took mine out last year at jdm coombe. all i could do in the passenger seat was smile, its a different perspective and its nice to see what you car can do when someone else drives :)

if i trust so,epne (and i usually determine that within the first 5 mins of meeting you) then i have no qualms lendimg my car to s9meone, although if im not in the passenger seat, (unless ive known them for more than 5 mins lol) ill want some form of security so i can be sure ill get it back :lol:

I remember at Combe AGM you offered to let me take your 8 on track, luckily I didn’t Image

qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by qwakers »

:D

i wouldnt have blamed you when it exploded, i knew that was coming =D>
Last edited by qwakers on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
Humane-Hobgoblin (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:06 pm)
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

Humane-Hobgoblin wrote:
qwakers wrote:ill let anyone drive mine, lemon took mine out last year at jdm coombe. all i could do in the passenger seat was smile, its a different perspective and its nice to see what you car can do when someone else drives :)

if i trust so,epne (and i usually determine that within the first 5 mins of meeting you) then i have no qualms lendimg my car to s9meone, although if im not in the passenger seat, (unless ive known them for more than 5 mins lol) ill want some form of security so i can be sure ill get it back Image

I remember at Combe AGM you offered to let me take your 8 on track, luckily I didn’t Image

I did see him with that contract think is said if any engine problems you pay Image

These users thanked the author shroom for the post:
qwakers (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:03 pm)
CheekyWankel
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CheekyWankel »

Hmm very mixed responses. The only person that drives them expect me is my mum, that also goes for my MX-5 too.

Like I mentioned he also owns an RX8 and likes to abuse it from time to time, which is fine since they need it. He's reassured me that he's very respectful when driving other people's cars though.

I may let him because I would like to get pictures of both the RX8 and the Eunos together. (parking permitted of course!)

I dunno, it's such a huge thing for me. The only time I've offered to let someone drive mine was for New Duke to take it to the Essex monthly meet (I'm a learner, sue me.)
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by qwakers »

its a very personal thing, the question you ask only you can answer im afraid.
Humane-Hobgoblin
Former Member
Former Member

shroom wrote:
Humane-Hobgoblin wrote:

if i trust so,epne (and i usually determine that within the first 5 mins of meeting you) then i have no qualms lendimg my car to s9meone, although if im not in the passenger seat, (unless ive known them for more than 5 mins lol) ill want some form of security so i can be sure ill get it back Image

I did see him with that contract think is said if any engine problems you pay Image

In my defence I probably would of only done a lap and would of needed to pay for a new seat and trousers, I’ve never been on track (yet) so it wouldn’t of been me to make it ‘pop’ Image

qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by qwakers »

well it popped on a warmup lap, i didnt break 1/2 throttle... i recon it would have been in trouble even if my grandma was driving! (and she’s dead!!!!)
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
Humane-Hobgoblin (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:07 pm)
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

CheekyWankel wrote:Hmm very mixed responses. The only person that drives them expect me is my mum, that also goes for my MX-5 too.

Like I mentioned he also owns an RX8 and likes to abuse it from time to time, which is fine since they need it. He's reassured me that he's very respectful when driving other people's cars though.

I may let him because I would like to get pictures of both the RX8 and the Eunos together. (parking permitted of course!)

I dunno, it's such a huge thing for me. The only time I've offered to let someone drive mine was for New Duke to take it to the Essex monthly meet (I'm a learner, sue me.)
Let him in it then, just don't go near YouTube and watch any dash cam crash compilations Image

CheekyWankel
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CheekyWankel »

shroom wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 pm
CheekyWankel wrote:Hmm very mixed responses. The only person that drives them expect me is my mum, that also goes for my MX-5 too.

Let him in it then, just don't go near YouTube and watch and dash cam crash compilations Image
Oh god don't say that! :P I should hide a camera just to make sure he behaves! He won't be too far ahead or behind, and the meet isn't too far from home. I'll still be on edge the whole time I think...
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

CheekyWankel wrote:
shroom wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Let him in it then, just don't go near YouTube and watch and dash cam crash compilations Image
Oh god don't say that! Image I should hide a camera just to make sure he behaves! He won't be too far ahead or behind, and the meet isn't too far from home. I'll still be on edge the whole time I think...
To be fair I have been in his shoes many times with my old Pulsar missing meets/shows or going in your daily is pretty depressing when yours is been worked on or fixed. It would be a pretty cool friend to offer it out to help a mate. As everyone said though it's completely up to you.

You might be able to get Nigel to draft you up a decent contract the slave one he has going is very comprehensive much like 50 shades of titanium grey

These users thanked the author shroom for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 pm) • CheekyWankel (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 pm)
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Can I drive your car?

Post by GreySilver Beast »

The only Club Member on here that I allow to drive my car around a track is AdamGaltress as I trust him 100% =D>

Personally on the road the person would need to be fully Insured to drive my car, either an Any Car Policy or Registered on my Policy :thumleft:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post (total 2):
CheekyWankel (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 pm) • acegeezer (Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:44 am)
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
CheekyWankel
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CheekyWankel »

Oh goodness you're right! Insurance! If I do let him I best check that he's covered to drive other vehicles. Even a small trip like this could get me in trouble or worse... RX crushed....
Punchy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Punchy »

CheekyWankel wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 pm
or worse... RX crushed....
Hes so crispy he'll rust away before they load him into the crusher

I think its a defense mechanism
Punchy The Red Rex - first car (08/07/18 - present)
Pandora The Rusty Seven - money pit (23/08/17 - present)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/punchy.the.red.rex/

Son of Essex2Visuvesi, he's the reason for my triangle obsession ;)
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

Don't forget if he's covered to drive other vehicles it will likely be on a third-party basis only. If that's a worry, plenty of places do temporary insurance now from hours to days - all online with near instant cover.
These users thanked the author Phil Bate for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 pm) • CheekyWankel (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 pm)
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
Punchy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Punchy »

Phil Bate wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 pm
Don't forget if he's covered to drive other vehicles it will likely be on a third-party basis only. If that's a worry, plenty of places do temporary insurance now from hours to days - all online with near instant cover.
You can even get learner insurance this way too now :) and its not too expensive
Punchy The Red Rex - first car (08/07/18 - present)
Pandora The Rusty Seven - money pit (23/08/17 - present)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/punchy.the.red.rex/

Son of Essex2Visuvesi, he's the reason for my triangle obsession ;)
CheekyWankel
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CheekyWankel »

Punchy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 pm
CheekyWankel wrote:

Aah you know him so well :')

And that's true Phil, but it's hassle for the sake of one show. I would take him down in the 8 but I have made plans to take the Eunos down. Will look into that type of insurance in the future perhaps! Will speak to him tomorrow and see if he's covered, I only have third party, fire and theft myself. Only £500 a year as a learner that way.
These users thanked the author CheekyWankel for the post:
warpc0il (Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 pm)
shroom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shroom »

CheekyWankel wrote:
Punchy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 pm
CheekyWankel wrote:

Aah you know him so well :')

And that's true Phil, but it's hassle for the sake of one show. I would take him down in the 8 but I have made plans to take the Eunos down. Will look into that type of insurance in the future perhaps! Will speak to him tomorrow and see if he's covered, I only have third party, fire and theft myself. Only £500 a year as a learner that way.
So you got two cars and haven't passed yet? Jesus Image and there is the Mrs moaning at me. I at least waited till I was 18 then got two cars haha.

What a level head you have I sure wouldn't have given two hoots at that sort of age (for me passing anyway at 17) so good on you. Maybe my first car been a Citroen Saxo VTR spells out what kind of fellow I was.

Init ImageImage

These users thanked the author shroom for the post:
CheekyWankel (Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:05 pm)
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I've used these people before
https://www.insure4aday.co.uk
Quite reasonable for that extra peace of mind

Also a cheap way to get some miles on the 5 or the 8 while still on the L's
https://www.dayinsure.com/learner/?refe ... 7a65141c9f
These users thanked the author Essex2Visuvesi for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:48 pm) • CheekyWankel (Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 pm)
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
CheekyWankel
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CheekyWankel »

Well... Make that three.... Two RX8 and I recently bought a 1990 Eunos. Being that I have dirt cheap insurance I can afford them all for the time being.

I've also had a 206cc, a lovely car that was indeed!

Thanks for not judging, I get so much of it about my little collection :(