Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

Uprated engine mounts?

Post by plas87 »

Hi,

Has anyone here replaced their engine mounts with more harder, uprated ones? Did you notice a dfference in throttle response? I have founds two sets online, which one woud you recommend?

http://essexrotarystore.com/product/bla ... mount-set/

https://h-tune.co.uk/hardrace-uprated-e ... gIUmvD_BwE
PZ Galaxy Grey, D585 coils, uprated MSD leads, Tesco Momentum 99 with Castrol Power 2T pre-mix
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Uprated engine mounts?

Post by Conan »

A harder engine mount will not make a difference to throttle response as such.
People have used lots of different ones and it is also possible to refill old ones to the stiffness you require.
Quite a few people have gone to stiff mounts only to find they can be hard to live with and reverted to something else.
One of the few ( mods ) that people often admit they regretted.
Regards
Pete
These users thanked the author Conan for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:32 am)
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Be aware, from experience, the BHR mounts will transmit a lot more vibration into the chassis.
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Freeman38
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Freeman38 »

Don't do it, stick with Mazda mounts.
Maybe I should list the things I wouldn't do to the RX8.
Engine mounts
Rear diff mounts
Stage 2 clutch.

I asked for the engine mounts to be replaced only if failed. They were replaced only to find nothing wrong with my originals. The mounts transfer to much vibration into the cabin, especially at 30mph. So around town is unpleasant.

Rear diff mounts I did to try and curtail hopping when launching for Hill Climb starts. It hasn't resolved the issue and the vibrations into the cabin are bad.

The clutch is fitted was a competition clutch stage 2 along with flywheel and counter weight. Flywheel excellent, clutch horrible, standard exedy is much better.
These users thanked the author Freeman38 for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:34 am)
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

Check out these:

https://www.ryanrotaryperformance.com/s ... ine-mounts

A few members have them, and they are without doubt the best looking mounts around. And, being British, and from one of our Traders, you will get exceptional support as well. :thumleft:
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

Freeman38 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:35 am
Don't do it, stick with Mazda mounts.
Maybe I should list the things I wouldn't do to the RX8.
Engine mounts
Rear diff mounts
Stage 2 clutch.

I asked for the engine mounts to be replaced only if failed. They were replaced only to find nothing wrong with my originals. The mounts transfer to much vibration into the cabin, especially at 30mph. So around town is unpleasant.

Rear diff mounts I did to try and curtail hopping when launching for Hill Climb starts. It hasn't resolved the issue and the vibrations into the cabin are bad.

The clutch is fitted was a competition clutch stage 2 along with flywheel and counter weight. Flywheel excellent, clutch horrible, standard exedy is much better.
What a great idea,
We should have a don’t do it thread :thumleft:
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

I love my rrp engine mounts, but depends what you want from the car, I haven't noticed much more vibration in the cabin, and the drivetrain feels "tighter", rear Diff mounts in the other hand, I get a nice back massage on decel with those.
These users thanked the author Eddie_r32 for the post:
Freeman38 (Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:18 am)
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

I have the BHR mounts on mine. At first the vibration was ridiculous. After about 1k miles they have completely settled now.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scartlead »

No issues with the BHR Mounts here.
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Freeman38 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:35 am
Bit of a thread derailment, but axle tramp is usually caused by rear suspension bushings and not diff bushings.

As the wheels begin to accelerate the bushes allow a certain amount of play, so the wheels begin to move but the car does not. As the wheels move to the point the lateral flex is "used up" it transmits a bit of force in to the vertical bushes and shocks. As they compress a bit the contact patch of the tyre reduces due to the current toe and camber of the wheel within the flex. This causes the tyre to lose grip. As the tyre loses grip it begins to return to its normal position because of the bushes. This causes the tyre to regain a larger contact patch and thus more grip, the cycle repeats (very quickly) causing axle tramp.

Likewise, older (and potentially deteriorated bushes) will make this worse, so just replacing the bushes with new Mazda ones would go some to reducing it.

There is no sure-fire way to resolve this issue, however firmer rear suspension bushes have been reported to minimise it and make the process of the rear tyres breaking traction to be smooth rather than sharp, thus resulting in wheelspin rather than axle tramp and a more controllable launch.

DISCLAIMER: I have not done this myself, but did a fair amount of research when I was frequenting Santa Pod drag strip. As I learnt to warm the tyres up, decrease pressures etc. the effect became more pronounced.
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:35 am)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

I have big Pete home made mounts they are perfect and don't break the bank
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

My thoughts on engine mounts are included in this
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78199&hilit=engine+mounts

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:36 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

I can add my own experience on refurbed Mounts (solid fill) ...

Found when first fitted they substantially increased NVH but after about a few months I think its think a combination of I don't notice it as much and the NVH has decreased.

(in the end you pay your money and take your choice)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

i went with some ebay special solid fill mounts and tbh, didnt notice any real difference in vibration or noise.
the mounts i removed were perfectly fine stock items.

go for it for peice of mind as they wont collapse like the stock ones can over time.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

However the lack of movement, especially vertical, could cause damage to the body shell, as it's designed to be isolated.

That wouldn't give me "peace of mind"

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

warpc0il wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:33 pm
However the lack of movement, especially vertical, could cause damage to the body shell, as it's designed to be isolated.

That wouldn't give me "peace of mind"

Saw the vid of Nick's (13Black) and there was still ample movement in the PU jobbers. I wouldn't be worried at all
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
ploz
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by ploz »

Not entirely sure because it was a while ago, but when mine collapsed, Clive at Mazda Rotary Parts provided me with mounts from the auto RX8 as they are apparently a bit more robust. They've now done 10 years with no issues and no additional vibration.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There once was a man from Essex,
Who was potty over Mazda RXs.
He ordered an 8,
and had to wait,
But when it arrived, said "tis better than sex is".
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by SeeJay »

I've had the BHR mounts on my R3 since July 2016,and although I've now become totally accustomed to it,they do give an increase in NVH levels - low speed maneuvering,and pulling away in traffic causes reverberation through the door cavities,which is intrusive enough for a number of passengers to have commented on it..

On an upside,they aren't ever going to need replacing again,and since the engine is locked in place more sturdily,there's a small improvement in the car's response to throttle inputs,as the motor's tendency to 'wallow' on the mounts is pretty much eliminated.

They are pricey tho',and the NVH issue may not be welcome to some,so try and experience a car with them fitted before you buy,if you decide on these mounts ;)
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
Bigblueknight3k
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Bigblueknight3k »

Made my own engine mounts with rubber in fill ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Freeman38
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Freeman38 »

Bit of a thread derailment, but axle tramp is usually caused by rear suspension bushings and not diff bushings
Thanks Dr FrankenRex2 but mines fully polybushed. Did them all and that was before the diff bushes.
Last edited by Freeman38 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

That could be the problem, as polybushes are a downgrade, when compared to the oem design.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78199&hilit=polybush
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:38 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Freeman38
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Freeman38 »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:19 am
That could be the problem, as polybushes are a downgrade, when compared to the oem design.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78199&hilit=polybush
Disagree the polybushes were massive improvement over stock. Like wise when people say the strut brace in the rear is not worth it. Wrong I changed the front and added the rear strut bars before doing ARBs and there was big improvement.
Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scartlead »

Were your OEM bushes knackered? A good portion of mine certainly were when I polybushed my own
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Even wooden* bushes would be an improvement over broken bushes, regardless of the original design, but that doesn't detract from the fact that new Mazda RX8 suspension bushes are superior to any off-the-shelf polybush alternative and these polybushes won't provide the combination of compliance in one plane with the rigidity in the other that is a significant factor in the cars handling.

*A friend of a friend fitted home-made wooden bushes in the suspension of his MX5 track car and they lasted nearly two seasons, and may have gone on for longer if the car hadn't been destroyed in a freak accident when the propshaft ripped itself apart. MX5 propshafts aren't known for this sort of failure and it may have been caused by vibration in the rear axle/suspension.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Freeman38
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Freeman38 »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:24 am
Even wooden* bushes would be an improvement over broken bushes, regardless of the original design, but that doesn't detract from the fact that new Mazda RX8 suspension bushes are superior to any off-the-shelf polybush alternative and these polybushes won't provide the combination of compliance in one plane with the rigidity in the other that is a significant factor in the cars handling.

*A friend of a friend fitted home-made wooden bushes in the suspension of his MX5 track car and they lasted nearly two seasons, and may have gone on for longer if the car hadn't been destroyed in a freak accident when the propshaft ripped itself apart. MX5 propshafts aren't known for this sort of failure and it may have been caused by vibration in the rear axle/suspension.
I had new arms fitted on front as part of the recall which have brand new Mazda bushes. I noticed a big difference between them and my polybushed arms which I had to get Mazda UK to honour the garage additional time to press my polybushed out. The front end had lost some of it immediacy and feel.. so I still disagree that Mazda bushes are superior to the Poly Bushes. None of my Mazda bushes were in a bad state when I replaced them in 2013.
These users thanked the author Freeman38 for the post:
Bigblueknight3k (Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:02 pm)