Place for discussions about the RX-8
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Vinyl Wrap

Post by Craig M »

Suggestions for good quality wrap for interior trim please.
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Re: Vinyl Wrap

Post by Goobie »

The brand “3M” does top level quality vinyl.
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Craig M »

Yeah, I've heard 3M is pretty good.
Looking to wrap the silver trims along the transmission tunnel as mine are pretty scuffed front driver and passenger side.

Applied with a hairdryer easily enough ?
ninjarrr
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ninjarrr »

3M is good quality stuff and if you tell your supplier what it's for they'll be able to recommend the right quality (cast I believe). Avery is also pretty good. They're both expensive but for the sizes you're looking at it shouldn't add up to much £ in total.

There's also something called "air release" where the adhesive on the back is applied in blobs rather than uniform layer which makes it easier to squeegee out air bubbles and get a good fit. You probably want it laminated too so it's not affected by little spills / interior cleaners etc.
These users thanked the author ninjarrr for the post:
Craig M (Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:11 am)
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Craig M »

ninjarrr wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 pm
3M is good quality stuff and if you tell your supplier what it's for they'll be able to recommend the right quality (cast I believe). Avery is also pretty good. They're both expensive but for the sizes you're looking at it shouldn't add up to much £ in total.

There's also something called "air release" where the adhesive on the back is applied in blobs rather than uniform layer which makes it easier to squeegee out air bubbles and get a good fit. You probably want it laminated too so it's not affected by little spills / interior cleaners etc.
Hi Ninjarr,

thanks for the advice and tips, think I''ll look into the Avery stuff to see if it's any cheaper than 3M.
The laminated suggestion is something I never considered..............cheers :thumright:
ninjarrr
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ninjarrr »

Happy to help. If you're looking to keep costs even lower Hexis are usually cheaper than both 3M and Avery and should be fine for your needs . Their site is pretty helpful and tells you which films need / don't need laminate: https://online.hexis.co.uk
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Before you start diy, it might be worth having a chat with your local wrapper/signwriters and get a price from them.

The amount of material you're looking for would be throw-away offcuts, so you might get the stuff for next to nothing and you might also be surprised how little they'd charge to do the job.

Alternatively, see if there's anyone doing hydro-dipping" in your area, as the results could be much better and you get a much wider choice of designs/finishes.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ