Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: To scoop or not to scoop?

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

I paid less than Ed for a real one ;)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Keke »

:blahblah: :getmecoat:
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

So took the car out last night and she still flies, nothing negative about the performance to say at all. If I was to fit again I would look at trimming the "exhaust" about 5mm as it is pushing on the bumper a bit too much.
I would prob get the dremel and trim the l bracket up so the bolts can slide forwards and back in the l bracket, fix to car wity just those, test fit bumper and then do final fix, if that makes any sense!
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

Eddie_r32 wrote:So took the car out last night and she still flies, nothing negative about the performance to say at all. If I was to fit again I would look at trimming the "exhaust" about 5mm as it is pushing on the bumper a bit too much.
I would prob get the dremel and trim the l bracket up so the bolts can slide forwards and back in the l bracket, fix to car wity just those, test fit bumper and then do final fix, if that makes any sense!
Is it any better ? Sound better ? Is it worth doing basically Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

I it's now quieter for me as I had an Aem screaming away, for 100 quid and a couple of hours of your time I'd say it's worth doing, may feel more benefit going from stock intake to this than I have going from Aem to this
These users thanked the author Eddie_r32 for the post:
nightfire10 (Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:04 pm)
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Eddie_r32 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:47 pm
Pics again
Hi Eddie,
Looking at your pics I wondered if you did anything to fill the gap between your new scoop and the airbox housing? I've expertly annotated one of your photos to make it easier to explain.

My understanding is that the stock airbox (which I've never had) slots around the VFAD meaning that even when the VFAD is removed and the ram scoop is fitted to line A, then the stock intake extends out to line A anyway. Meaning that there is a seal and all scoop air enters the intake. That's what the Racing Beat instructions suggest anyway.

But on our aftermarket intakes the gap between lines A and B is left as a cavity with the VFAD removed so some airflow can escape under the car and not make it into the intake. Do you have any plans to sort that? I'm looking at options ranging from chopping up a VFAD and sticking a section of it in there to plug the gaps, to taking measurements and having some plastic ducting custom made.

Or... I may just leave it. So curious what you though about it, if it bothered you at all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

Nice 'tache

I have been thinking about this, I will join them up next time I have the car in bits. I think I may use some neoprene sheet, bit of velcro and some cable ties.

I'm sure there is a better way but I think it would work ok
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

I used the original VFAD housing/hose
P6230386.jpg
A tab made of duct tape allows you pull it back to seal with the original airbox
P6230387.jpg
Where it's held by a couple of stainless self-tapers
P6230388.jpg
You can also remove the clip for the vfad vacuum hose, which makes removing the airbox much easier*
P6230389.jpg
*This is also a great tip for all 192 owners, who don't have a vfad but they do have the clip that gets in the way.

See also viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44692
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Eddie_r32 (Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Anyone who takes the plunge, 2 of these are going spare for a voluntary contribution :lol:
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
Eddie_r32 (Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:12 pm)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
NeMFO
Club Member
Club Member

Post by NeMFO »

Ok, I would welcome your thoughts on a plan that I have been hatching. I now have two front bumpers and am considering butchering the tatty one to have as a track day bumper with brake cooling ducts and a ram air opening straight in front of the stock air box.

Please feel free to check my maths but I have calculated that our engines ingest approx. 3,900 litres of air during 9000 revs (1300cc x 3000 as we get one bang per revolution so 3 revolutions for full displacement have I got that right?) which is presumably at slightly less than atmospheric pressure because it is sucked not pushed into the engine. I'm no engineer but I have read that turbos deliver around one atmosphere (14psi) of boost so I was looking to double the available air at high speed because I was a little disappointed with the top end at Bedford. I believe that I would be covering 213,333cm per minute at 80mph so an intake with an area of 37.5 cm2 (5cm x 7.5) would give me 8,000 litres per minute.

I'm sure there are some practical considerations to address, (sealing the intake tube, not blowing the air filter out and anything else you might want to suggest) but is this a stupid idea?
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

There is a ratio between the rotors and the elliptical shaft that means the rotors spin less than this. The rpm is measured at the shaft as it is for a conventional engine.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

a good measure of how much air the engine is consuming is the MAF sensor
flat out it reads 220g/sec

so 220 grammes / sec = 6 cubic feet / sec = 360 cfm & 25 lbs/min = 13.2 kg/min = 792 kg/hr = 0.22 kg/sec

so to actually boost over this amount air to get some appreciable ram effect will need a substantial scoop and over 100mph
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
NeMFO (Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:12 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Most "ram air" systems don't provide enough positive pressure to qualify as forced induction.

How they increase power is by reducing some of the parasitic loss, normally referred to as "pumping loss" which is the energy that it takes to suck the charge into the engine.

Even the slightest positive pressure means that the engine no longer needs to suck and all that energy is available to drive the wheels.

This is a slight over-simplification but sufficient to understand the advantages.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ