Place for discussions about the RX-8
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: How to use cataclean?

Post by warpc0il »

The position of the plug holes and the shape of the chamber means that there would be very limited contact with anything that it could possibly help.

This isn't like a vertical piston engine where you can pour solvent in to plug holes and it will pool on the piston and then leech past and potentially free a stuck piston ring. I have used diesel like this to get two cylinders of an old car engine back from near-zero compression to fully working, but rotaries are a different ball game.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
AndyBrad
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by AndyBrad »

Conan wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:55 am
Is your engine that bad :?:
Not at all. In fact its driving really well (cursed it now) just that im very much into pro active maintenance (im the one that things about precautionary rebuilds :) )

But i do a 2 mile commute (90% of my driving) so it gets get badly coked up. Regular changes keep it going though.

here are my last set of plugs.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JdqocyMbCGYZqbNT7
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Those plugs look about normal, maybe a little dark, if you can take the car for a long high rev journey you'll burn the carbon off. Even better if you run the cataclean as prescribed as part of your journey
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Techathy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by Techathy »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:35 pm
Given that you'll be driving hard with the Cataclean, the usual premix should help and certainly won't do any harm.

There is some evidence the (good quality) 2T premix also helps to remove carbon deposits.
Good to know. It was just when I ordered it there was the warning "not for use with 2 stroke engines"
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Rx8 is a 4 stroke engine, so no issues there on that account
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Techathy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Techathy »

But it got me wondering if the 2T oil was the issue.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

The reason for not using cataclean in a 2 stroke would probably be because the air fuel mix enters the crank case unlike a 4 stroke engine
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
Techathy (Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:34 pm)
Techathy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Techathy »

You see, having never dealt with 2-stroke engines that didn't even enter my head - you gotta know where your knowledge ends and not be afraid to ask the dumb questions when you don't know.
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

And what oil should I use.... In my deep fat fryer? Hahaha
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Got a £20 Halfords voucher so blew it on a couple of bottles of Cataclean. Once both the PZ and the 192 have the fuel light on I'll follow the guidance and pop in a bottle of this stuff plus a tenner's worth of fuel and go and drive it on The Fun Road.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

It will be interesting to see if you get any noticeable results.

Mine run much smoother and started faster after the first time I gave the Cataclean treatment, back in 2008.

A second treatment the following year, and the difference wasn't that noticeable.

Further treatments didn't make any noticeable difference at all, but she's still getting through the emissions test at a gov'mint test centre, for the MOT every year, on the original 2004 cat. :D
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:26 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:47 pm
It will be interesting to see if you get any noticeable results.

Mine run much smoother and started faster after the first time I gave the Cataclean treatment, back in 2008.

A second treatment the following year, and the difference wasn't that noticeable.

Further treatments didn't make any noticeable difference at all, but she's still getting through the emissions test at a gov'mint test centre, for the MOT every year, on the original 2004 cat. :D
Yeah I saw your posts about the year on year efficacy of this. Having done the identical trip in the 192 and the PZ I am struck by just how much more inefficient the PZ engine is, plus I know nothing of its history. Both cars have the original cat which may well have deposits on them.

It'll be interesting seeing what happens, if anything, to the cars.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I suspect the efficacy (I like that word :D ) has more to do with carbon on the rotor seals, and freeing the seal springs, if the car has previously been driven too gently.

For me, knowing the history of my car, both before and after treatment, would fit the observations.

If the PZ is that more inefficient than the 192 then I'd be looking at normal service items (plugs, air filter, coils etc) and also checking than none of the brakes are rubbing. Even a couple of pounds down on tyre pressure can make a noticeable difference in economy (can I use that word here?)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

I studiously avoided the word 'economy' as it just didn't seem right.

Brakes are new. Tyres are good. All at the right pressure as they were checked at geometry set up and again before the trip to Krown. All fluids and filters were changed last December when I first got the car.

Off to see BigPete this coming week and taking my spare set of plugs with me. The car has D585s which have not been checked. I've got a set of magnecor leads and new coils but having spoken to Pete I've decided to stick with the D585s until such time as they begin to fail and I need to change them back to stock. Mind you, I might order some Delphi D585s from the USA and just stick with them.
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Looking at the fuel gauge of the PZ this morning gave me a chance to use the Cataclean. I had previously zeroed the odometer at a quarter of a tank and covered 26 miles and the light hadn't come on. Warmed the car up for under 10 minutes this morning then put the whole bottle in.

The instructions say drive normally for 15 minutes which, for us, is beeeeeeeeeeeeep!

I headed for a petrol station 16 miles away and took the fun road so I could get the car road warm then scream the bits off it.

Filled up with 56.5 litres of 97 RON fuel and have just done another 90 odd miles. I brimmed the car and quite enjoyed covering 35 miles without the fuel gauge moving. Then sucked a quarter of a tank on the next 55-60 miles.

Have I noticed any difference? No. At worst nothing has changed. Hopefully I've cleaned the injectors (if they actually needed cleaning) and in the best case scenario I have a sparkiling cat - but I doubt it.