Place for discussions about the RX-8
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

What is the sound on 5% throttle?

Post by LeeW »

I noticed this so much more when I fitted the louder exhaust, and I can't seem to find any answers on search:

When you apply a tiny amount of throttle you get this little grumble sound. You usually hear it briefly everytime you give the car gas or again briefly when you come off the gas. If you're really gentle you can hold the throttle at the exact position (around 5% as a loose number) and it will grumble constantly.

Please explain to me what is happening in the PCM/engine and why. I'm constantly thirsty for knowledge.

Thanks in advance guys, over you to...
Kuro 174/500.

RRP midpipe (single resonator) w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and MSD leads, AEM Cold Air Intake, RRP Custom Map, Royal Steering Wheels custom wheel. Mazdaspeed bodykit, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s, Smoked LED rear lights, Stoney Racing Hose Kit, Lots of red in the engine bay.

#174’s journey: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506
wiggles
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: What is the sound on 5% throttle?

Post by wiggles »

I get this as I'm pulling into the road from my "drive" going less than 5mph it just burbles along
Project thread Galaxy grey 231 - Street Port, Tein coilovers, decat, D585's, Cobra Catback whatever 9j wheels aren't broken at the moment and a massive wing
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW »

wiggles wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm
I get this as I'm pulling into the road from my "drive" going less than 5mph it just burbles along
If you try, being gentle you should be able to get it at any speed. I seem to be able to...

Im going to guess that its this area of the map/fuelling that people heavily modify and alter to get the mental pops and bangs. I could be wrong, but that's where my brain wandered to!
Kuro 174/500.

RRP midpipe (single resonator) w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and MSD leads, AEM Cold Air Intake, RRP Custom Map, Royal Steering Wheels custom wheel. Mazdaspeed bodykit, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s, Smoked LED rear lights, Stoney Racing Hose Kit, Lots of red in the engine bay.

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

A few suggestions:
1) The fuel and ignition maps are specified at certain engine revs and throttle openings. The pcm will try to "fill in the gaps" by interpolating between the map cells, but if you hold a set throttle and revs then the engine might find itself hunting between cells, and therefore sounding a bit rough.
2) The engine mounts will be designed to damp the engine vibrations when the engine is at idle. If the engine isn't at idle speed then there might be resonances that can be transmitted. You won't notice these resonances at higher speeds, but at low speeds you might.
3) With a fully shut throttle the intake is effectively sealed off from the engine (not quite, but nearly). But at small throttle openings you open the intake tract up to the chambers, and so you might hear the engine through the intake system.

Best I can think of at the moment.

Ps, Pops and bangs is all about deliberately over-fueling during lift off at high revs. I doubt they would touch the map at low revs.
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW »

PeteH wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 pm
A few suggestions:
1) The fuel and ignition maps are specified at certain engine revs and throttle openings. The pcm will try to "fill in the gaps" by interpolating between the map cells, but if you hold a set throttle and revs then the engine might find itself hunting between cells, and therefore sounding a bit rough.
2) The engine mounts will be designed to damp the engine vibrations when the engine is at idle. If the engine isn't at idle speed then there might be resonances that can be transmitted. You won't notice these resonances at higher speeds, but at low speeds you might.
3) With a fully shut throttle the intake is effectively sealed off from the engine (not quite, but nearly). But at small throttle openings you open the intake tract up to the chambers, and so you might hear the engine through the intake system.

Best I can think of at the moment.

Ps, Pops and bangs is all about deliberately over-fueling during lift off at high revs. I doubt they would touch the map at low revs.
Think no.3 might be the closest to what Im hearing. It's like a flutter or burble. The car still feels like its coasting down on no throttle, so it's like theres an air path being opened up with no fuel. Makes sense... I know its not a problem or a fault, just curious to find out more about whats going on. Cheers!
Kuro 174/500.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

On a standard map there is no fuelling on the overrun.

Some custom maps change this, anything from a touch of fuel to aid smooth pickup, to a significant slug to provide "pops'n'bangs".

BTW this is another reason why an "OMP delete" is a much more major undertaking on a Renesis, as no fuel would also mean no lubrication, if you were relying just on premix; unlike all previous rotary engines that still added fuel on the overrun.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
AndyBrad
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by AndyBrad »

with the overrun maps (pops and bangs) why doesnt it cause borewash etc?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Who says it doesn't? ;)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ