Kellytm272
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

Prodrive shock absorber build

Post by Kellytm272 »

Just wondering if there’s a guide to building the shock absorbers? Had only found guides for fitting the shock absorber to the car.
Is it simply the case of following the racing beat instructions? So basically fit the lower spring mount discs to the shock absorber, slide the bump stop on narrow face first, fit the spring on and then put the old top mount components on, including the metal piece that went on top of the original (standard 231) bump stops? Then tighten up using the new nut supplied?
Kellytm272
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Prodrive shock absorber build

Post by Kellytm272 »

Having spent a fair bit of time with Qwaker’s, fitting the new prodrive setup that I bought from him, we initially hit some problems. The first install led to a loud banging noise when going over bumps, mostly from the rear shocks. Nothing was obvious from the actual install of the shocks to the car, as to what may cause this. On strip down of the shocks, it was discovered that the internals of the top mounts were loose, and basically that despite the large reduction in diameter between the stock bump stops and the prodrive ones, you do need to install the old bump stop retention cups. Doing this to all 4 shocks solved the problem and it now drives great!
So thanks to Qwakers for selling me the kit, guiding me on how to fit it as well as doing most of the fitting work.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

my pleasure :)

it was a bit of a odd one, the cups that hold the bump stops look like they arent used in the pz setup as theyre far to big for the new ones, but their purpose is to be the bottom half of a clamp that holds the top mount, leaving them out allowed the top mount to move down the shaft, meaning you had no damping at all and a loud banging when the nut at the top came back in contact with the top mount. it would have been nice if the kit came with at least a exploded diagram to show the correct order of assembly,

still, no harm done, we got there in the end. did have me scratching my head for a while!
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

I hope you haven’t done any permanent damage.

ALl of the original parts are used from the original standard RX-8 assembly apart from the bare damper and spring.
They are used in the same order and orientation as the original parts

The front bump stops are as original PZ (supplied by Bilstein originally)
The rear bump stops are from Bilstein B6 / B8 dampers and I arranged for these to be included so a decision could be made on assembly as to whether they would be used or not. ( I don’t have a standard rear bump stop to compare with at this time)
Pro- Drive used the original Mazda ones on the PZ suspension.

If people are unsure of anything have a look in the technical section where i’m sure there will be an exploded view of suspension components.
I would advise people to look at the TRADERS in the first post that have agreed the fantastic price of £150 for the suspension fit
They also have spare parts to hand if required.

If some would like to find diagrams and insert here please do :thumleft:
Regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

no damage, just makes a bit of noise :)

and whilst theres a exploded view of normal rx8 suspension, i was unable to find any such thing for the pz setup. which IS different enough to warrent it.
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 13Black »

I've taken standard and PZ units apart plenty of times and I can see no fundamental differences between the assembly of either. If you theoretically glued/freezed the entire top mount assembly together before removal and plonked it on the PZ shocks, then they'd be correct.

While they're far from complicated, if anyone isn't comfortable with how coilovers work then please think twice about fitting them yourselves.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post:
Boston Rotary (Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 pm)
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Moved my response to here...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76220&start=1103
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Kellytm272
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Kellytm272 »

It’s all good guys, the methods used to rebuild the shock absorbers and fit to the car were as described above and elsewhere. We were doing it late at night after a long day and simply didn’t think the original bump stop cups looked right. As soon as we took the shocks apart again, we realised what the problem is. Drives great now and really happy :-)
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

It would be good if you could do a write up of the car and differences now you have the kit fitted and put it in the main suspension thread :thumleft:
People would like to hear some feedback from drivers.
Glad your happy with it
Regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Kellytm272
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Kellytm272 »

I surely will, once I can get it out for a proper drive :-)