R3 with Rusty Calipers Repainted

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Prototype_uk
Non Member
Non Member
Has thanked: 0

R3 with Rusty Calipers Repainted

Post by Prototype_uk »

Just wanted to share this with you in case it helps someone else make a decision. I'll start with the story. Basically, the previous owner/dealer must have used an acid to clean the wheels on my RX8 R3 because it stripped most of the zinc off the calipers and they were rusting bad. Not being one for the Bling of a coloured paint on my calipers I decided to hunt around for something which looked as close to the original finish as I could.

Turns out that MRP do a brake caliper paint in Graphite which is a very good match for OEM. (Well what I could see was left of OEM on mine lol)

Here are some before and after photos. MRP also supplied the discs and I got genuine Mazda pads.

These users thanked the author Prototype_uk for the post (total 2):
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:31 am) • willberry70 (Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:16 am)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: R3 with Rusty Calipers Repainted

Post by warpc0il »

Join the OC and you have the beginnings of your own Project thread there.
You would also have benefited from OC members discount at MRP, which could have been most (or more) of your first years membership paid.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
acegeezer (Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by dac69er »

Looks really good. Was it spray or brush on?

I wanted to do one of my other cars calipers, but like you, didn't want any bling colours.
98of400
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by 98of400 »

dac69er wrote:Looks really good. Was it spray or brush on?

I wanted to do one of my other cars calipers, but like you, didn't want any bling colours.
FYI I went for silver Hammerite on mine. The hammered finish looks great and hides any minor imperfections in the underlying surface. I check the tech. sheet beforehand and it's good for temperatures way higher than I'd expect from normal, spirited, driving. Has been on there for months now and looks the same as the day I brushed it on.

Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

The before picutres look just how mine did when I got it. Good effort there, like the colour choice.

Ive always used Hammerite on mine too, never had any heat troubles etc.
Prototype_uk
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Prototype_uk »

dac69er wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:52 pm
Looks really good. Was it spray or brush on?

It was brush on which was good so I didn't end up with over spray lol You cannot tell they have been brushed painted. I applied 2 very thin coats, the first coat was applied as thinly as I could. There is loads of paint left as it hardly used any from the tin.
Prototype_uk
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Prototype_uk »

98of400 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 am
dac69er wrote:Looks really good. Was it spray or brush on?

FYI I went for silver Hammerite on mine. The hammered finish looks great and hides any minor imperfections in the underlying surface. I check the tech. sheet beforehand and it's good for temperatures way higher than I'd expect from normal, spirited, driving. Has been on there for months now and looks the same as the day I brushed it on.
The surface on mine is mottled anyway so the paint sinks into this to give the effect shown in the photos. Do you have any before/after photos of yours?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Hammerite is fine for calipers, until your first track day, then it just cooks off.

This behaviour is also quite handy on a road car as it's a very simple indication if/when one of your calipers sticks, as that will also burn off, or at least discolour, the Hammerite.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Prototype_uk
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Prototype_uk »

warpc0il wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm
Hammerite is fine for calipers, until your first track day, then it just cooks off.

This behaviour is also quite handy on a road car as it's a very simple indication if/when one of your calipers sticks, as that will also burn off, or at least discolour, the Hammerite.
The Caliper paint I used is Heat rated to 220°C
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by dac69er »

warpc0il wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Not an rx8, but did a couple of trackdays with a car that had hammerite smooth black painted calipers and it was fine!?

Maybe I wasn't pushing hard enough ;)