Place for discussions about the RX-8
wiggles
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Fibreglass front wings - potential group buy

Post by wiggles »

Just seeing there is any interest in these? Don't rust and should be lighter as well for all the racers out there.

Mine are pretty crusty again after a few paint repairs already so enquiring with a company that makes fibreglass body panels for other cars already usually at around £100-200 for sets of front wings.

Let me know and I'll try and set up a group buy. :thumright:
These users thanked the author wiggles for the post:
SeeJay (Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:12 pm)
Project thread Galaxy grey 231 - Street Port, Tein coilovers, decat, D585's, Cobra Catback whatever 9j wheels aren't broken at the moment and a massive wing
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Fibreglass front wings - potential group buy

Post by SeeJay »

Good on ya,mate for giving this a go :thumright:

My R3 wings are sound as a pound,but maybe others with older cars will be interested.. ;)
These users thanked the author SeeJay for the post:
wiggles (Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm)
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
wiggles
Former Member
Former Member

Post by wiggles »

Oh yeah forgot to mention this would be S1 wings as I doubt there would be demand for R3 ones really. Also plenty of options for future as they make widearch kits and body kits etc for other cars.

All made in the UK as well as only ones I found for rx8 were from Siberia 😲 quoted at 600usd with shipping
Project thread Galaxy grey 231 - Street Port, Tein coilovers, decat, D585's, Cobra Catback whatever 9j wheels aren't broken at the moment and a massive wing
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by SeeJay »

wiggles wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm
they make widearch kits and body kits etc..All made in the UK as well as only ones I found for rx8 were from Siberia 😲 quoted at 600usd with shipping
Really :?: :-k Only widearch kit I know of is the Lions kit,sourced in France,so be interested to know of a UK supplier of something similar..
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
wiggles
Former Member
Former Member

Post by wiggles »

SeeJay wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:25 pm
wiggles wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm
they make widearch kits and body kits etc..All made in the UK as well as only ones I found for rx8 were from Siberia 😲 quoted at 600usd with shipping
Really :?: :-k Only widearch kit I know of is the Lions kit,sourced in France,so be interested to know of a UK supplier of something similar..

Not rx8 widearch kits... Yet 👍

Lions are the ones who quoted the price I mentioned, postage over £100 alone
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

I could be interested, as long as they are light weight. If they are chunky road car versions then I'm less interested.

Note that Essex Rotary list quite a few fibreglass front wings. I briefly talked to Aston about them. He also mentioned that he could get them made. It could be an option to organise a group buy through him...??
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Saw a really good R3 style front bumper and wider arches for the S1 on Facebook last month but can't seem to find it anymore, was from Poland iirc.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Not wishing to put a dampener on this initiative but there are a few things that people should consider here before jumping in...

- the original wings are made of high-strength steel, which means that they're thinner, while still being stronger and lighter than the equivalent components on many (mainly older) cars, e.g. the RX7.
- fibreglass replacements could be heavier, while almost certainly being weaker.
- the front wings play a role in both frontal and side impact collisions, where the distortion of the metal dissipates some of the impact energy. Fibreglass is virtually useless in this role.
- with personal injury claims now such a large part of an insurers risk, insurance companies are very sensitive to anything that reduces occupant crash protection.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
wiggles (Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:49 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Group buy on new steel wings?
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043