Place for discussions about the RX-8
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

my observations with engine swap.

Post by goodeggbob »

happy new year to you all.i will try to keep this brief. having bought a non running kuro for peanuts ln july as a donor car i soon discovered it was way to good to break.so i decided to swap the engine over this christmas holiday and left it at that. moving on to the present, i pulled the engine out and soon discovered the expensive attempts the previous owner had made to get it running, to no avail. The parts replaced were:- coils, plugs, starter motor and kn filters, all in an attempt to get it running. obviously with the engine out i could inspect it in more detail and found by just looking through the spark plug hole that an apex seal was missing in the rear rotor,a problem that would easily have been picked up with even the simplest of chuff tests. all this information i have just described would have meant nothing to me 12 mths ago ,but thanks to you lot i can now make informed choices,thanks. anyway,from my own experiences with this job i would never buy an rx8 without a comp test unless i already new the engine was fubar. i suppose what i am long windedly trying to say, is that any future engine problem diagnosis for me would start with a comp test before spending loads on possibilities, the spending for me would begin on the back of acceptable comp results. PHEW. thanks for listening,and all the help,rob. =D>
Rob :thumright:
RobinPZ72
Former Member
Former Member

Re: my observations with engine swap.

Post by RobinPZ72 »

Hey Rob,

Happy new year mate!

I think you could tell most a few things or two about cars (Even me tee hee)!!!!! Anyhoo if I can help in anyway I will, so get among it and see you soon!
These users thanked the author RobinPZ72 for the post:
goodeggbob (Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:03 pm)
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

hi robin,same to you sir. my post was made as a response in part to your coil survey topic. i was just wondering how many coils had been bought thinking that they would cure a knackered engine when a comp test would have said save your money for a rebuild.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post:
RobinPZ72 (Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:27 pm)
Rob :thumright:
RobinPZ72
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RobinPZ72 »

I sadly think because there is not a lot known and the first port of call is your coils are the problem, which I think is very much not the case! It will be interesting to see after autopsy if was due to ware or carbon build up dislodging from the exhaust port and wiping out the apex seal! My theory is the use of certain oils, which the additives don't burn off and build up as carbon!
RobinPZ72
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RobinPZ72 »

Great to meet up and will keep you posted on autopsy

Robin
These users thanked the author RobinPZ72 for the post:
goodeggbob (Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:37 pm)