Hydrogen Powered RX-8

Place for discussions about the RX-8
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Hydrogen Powered RX-8

Post by delta0 »

One day emissions laws and the general push against fossil fuel use is going to catch up with us (and all other combustion engines) however our engines a have trick hidden up their sleeve. They can be powered by hydrogen fuel with very little modification. As combustion occurs in a separate chamber from the much cooler intake it means the rotary engine can take hydrogen without it immediately detonating as soon as it goes into the engine. Mazda even made and sold a hydrogen RX-8 in Japan to prove it is possible. http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/hre/

The obvious issue is there is no easy way to get hydrogen fuel but that could change in future.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Re: Hydrogen Powered RX-8

Post by 350matt »

we'll see everything going hybrid and it'll stay that way for a looong time

there's not the infrastructure or political will to eliminate fossil fuel

I'm considering how much effort it would be to make a starter motor / generator setup for the rex to be honest to give it some low down shove and ease the fuel bill a little
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

I’m aware there are some starter motor and battery setups available that can power the engine as well to give it a boost. It seems like an interesting solution.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by geofftl1000r »

Unless you have some kind of KERS in place, then the engine will have to recharge the battery via the alternator?
Wouldn't this extra load with all the loses involved kill any savings in fuel?
40th Anniversary RX8
R3 Wheels: PZ Coilovers: RRP 'Red' Coils: RRP Engine mounts (softer ones): RRP COFS: RRP Blue Pulleys: Silicon hoses in blue: Goodridge brake lines: HEL clutch line: Racing Beat ARB's: SS Braided oil lines: Mishimoto radiator (oem fans)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The PCM manages alternator load, so it tries to charge the battery only when there is power to spare.
However, the logic is quite complex and depends on the sensed battery state and the ambient temperature, as well as engine revs and load.

That said, few of these electrical boost systems are 12 Volt, due to the massive currents involved.
24V means half the current, for the same power, while 48V means half the current again, or double the power.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Hopkins
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Hopkins »

delta0 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:08 am
One day emissions laws and the general push against fossil fuel use is going to catch up with us (and all other combustion engines) however our engines a have trick hidden up their sleeve. They can be powered by hydrogen fuel with very little modification. As combustion occurs in a separate chamber from the much cooler intake it means the rotary engine can take hydrogen without it immediately detonating as soon as it goes into the engine. Mazda even made and sold a hydrogen RX-8 in Japan to prove it is possible. http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/hre/

The obvious issue is there is no easy way to get hydrogen fuel but that could change in future.
By coincidence, what's-his-face on Engineering Explained just posted a video about it:

These users thanked the author Hopkins for the post (total 2):
delta0 (Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 am) • johnbb99 (Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:11 am)
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

Hopkins wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:54 pm
delta0 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:08 am

By coincidence, what's-his-face on Engineering Explained just posted a video about it:

Great video. Lots of great info in there!
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

350matt wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:39 am

I'll be putting that to the test when I pick us this EV next week.

Changing my daily from a rotary to an EV. Might be a shock to the system! :lol:

That was an electricity joke... :getmecoat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:48 pm)
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

They certainly seem quick at round town speeds (or the ones I have followed do)

But just couldn't live with something that could only do 200 miles before being topped up... 🤔
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

i would prefer something with a longer range,so i bought an rx8.
Rob :thumright:
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

New Duke wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:12 am
350matt wrote:

Naturally a small percentage of the driving population can switch to 100% EV
most journeys are under 30 miles for most people and if they can also charge it at work then no bother at all

however a lot of folks park their car on the street or don't have a garage / drive
so there's no access to a plug socket overnight - so how do they charge their vehicles?

and there's not enough lithium in the world to switch the driving duties over to 100% EV - plus if you look where lithium mostly comes from its southern america, where they don't have the greatest record in human rights / child labour etc etc

so the IC engine will around a while yet and personally I'd like to see an adoption of the lean burn tech thats been in F1 and WSC for the last few years
full load at lambda 1.3? BSFC of sub 200gm/kw/hr? ( a good diesel is about 240 gm / kw/hr)

admittedly a lot of NOx to deal with but thats not beyond the wit of man
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Ford put huge investment into lean burn technology but got railroaded when the cat converter lobby pushed through emissions legislation that could only work with cats, even though they require even more fuel to work.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

the time is ripe for another crack at it I feel
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

350matt wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 am
New Duke wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:12 am
350matt wrote:

Naturally a small percentage of the driving population can switch to 100% EV
most journeys are under 30 miles for most people and if they can also charge it at work then no bother at all

however a lot of folks park their car on the street or don't have a garage / drive
so there's no access to a plug socket overnight - so how do they charge their vehicles?

and there's not enough lithium in the world to switch the driving duties over to 100% EV - plus if you look where lithium mostly comes from its southern america, where they don't have the greatest record in human rights / child labour etc etc

so the IC engine will around a while yet and personally I'd like to see an adoption of the lean burn tech thats been in F1 and WSC for the last few years
full load at lambda 1.3? BSFC of sub 200gm/kw/hr? ( a good diesel is about 240 gm / kw/hr)

admittedly a lot of NOx to deal with but thats not beyond the wit of man
Ironically cities where it is needed the most have the greatest challenges with electric charging point installations. Street parking and private car parking spaces being the most common. It makes it difficult to get these systems installed and no one wants to pay for these unless they are forced to eventually.

As for NOx and lean burn I’m sure there are ways around it. Just need to cool things down. Perhaps a bit of water injection or go extra lean where NOx falls again.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Hydrogen Powered RX-8

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Good on you Haydn =D> =D> =D> =D>

I too am researching EV modes of transport at the moment as a replacement to the GT86 in due course :twisted:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
New Duke (Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:00 am)
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

My other half's brother has one of those Renault Zoe things.
Not bad, quite an eerie sensation to drive
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

With the LEZ in London becoming more draconian (£12.50 per day for pre 2016 diesels) the jaguar I-Pace looks quite tempting at £400 per month.
Luckily I get the train to work so my RX8 is only used at weekends and is compliant with the pollution charges so I'm going to keep it for a while.
I don't think now is the time to get an electric car as it's still in early adoptor phase and there's no unified charging standards yet, quick chargers can put out upto 350KW but not many cars can even handle a 100kw charge.
I've noticed lots of aggrieved sole EV users at my train station as the charging slots are usually filled with PHEV's which then park in them all day.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Hydrogen Powered RX-8

They are trying to stop PHEV Owners from using the Charging Points as they can use their Engines to power the Vehicles until they can get home to recharge :!:

Anyway now that PHEV's no longer qualify for a Grant from the Government, then there will be probably less New PHEV Cars coming to the UK :!: :!:
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

delta0 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:29 pm
Ironically cities where it is needed the most have the greatest challenges with electric charging point installations. Street parking and private car parking spaces being the most common. It makes it difficult to get these systems installed and no one wants to pay for these unless they are forced to eventually.
Even for those of us with garages and plentiful off road parking. There's also the significant cost of having the domestic electric system upgraded. Charging a 41kw Zoe battery from empty on a standard domestic 13A plug takes about 25 hours. So upgrading that circuit is a must. But even installing a basic 7kw charger in my garage will cost a few hundred quid for the socket, plus the electrician, plus the added complication of running new, thicker core cable under 50 metres of garden without disturbing the lawn (a command from Mrs New Duke). Want even faster charging at home? That's mega bucks.

But, the base rental cost of an EV is now very low. And if you do have access to free charge points then the fuel costs are zero.

Even though the infrastructure sucks at the minute, at least it exists and is growing. Lean burn/hydrogen etc sound great in theory and on YT. But I need real, affordable alternatives that are available today. And as EE alluded to, hydrogen (as you'll find listed elsewhere) has it's own drawbacks. I'll do anything to avoid getting on the c̶a̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶ train.

My commute is 120 miles round trip and even the new battery Zoe only has a 125 mile range in winter (180 in summer), so I'm going full guinea pig. I'll detail the experience in a thread in the 'other car' section.
untakenname wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:58 pm
With the LEZ in London becoming more draconian...
At least the RX8 is exempt from the LEZ and the new ULEZ. Even though my mate's little 2015 'eco' diesel isn't. He was annoyed when he heard that. :lol:
GreySilver Beast wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:09 pm
They are trying to stop PHEV Owners from using the Charging Points as they can use their Engines to power the Vehicles until they can get home to recharge :!:
I'm confident that before long parking any ICE vehicle in an EV charge bay will be illegal. Maybe they should include PHEVs in that too.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

There are also Grants available for Installing Charging Points at home plus in some cases the connection is already built into the price of the Electric Car when you buy it in the first place :thumleft:

Also in some cases you don't need to worry about the Installation ie planning permission as the Motor Company will take care of that for you, which is even better when you live in a block of Flats and have your own Parking Space to Install the Charger Point :thumleft:

Give it another 24 months and Wireless Charging will become reality for charging your Electric Car :p:

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk

Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Lemon »

Wireless charging carrys it's own risk for people with things like pacemakers.

as i seem to be lucky enough to live within 30 miles of one of the few hydrogen filling stations in the UK (Honda Of the UK Manufacturing have one in Swindon) i would love to see hydrogen power becoming a much more adoptable system within the UK.
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by geofftl1000r »

untakenname wrote:
I've noticed lots of aggrieved sole EV users at my train station as the charging slots are usually filled with PHEV's which then park in them all day.
I would expect an EV driver to have charging point at home but someone who doesn't have that option, because they live in a flat etc. to use a PHEV. So it makes perfect sense for them to charge up at the station so they can use electric power for the daily commute to/from the station.
The whole idea of electric cars is to burn coal rather then oil as a car fuel after all. Much better for the planet?
40th Anniversary RX8
R3 Wheels: PZ Coilovers: RRP 'Red' Coils: RRP Engine mounts (softer ones): RRP COFS: RRP Blue Pulleys: Silicon hoses in blue: Goodridge brake lines: HEL clutch line: Racing Beat ARB's: SS Braided oil lines: Mishimoto radiator (oem fans)
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

geofftl1000r wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:49 am
untakenname wrote:
I would expect an EV driver to have charging point at home but someone who doesn't have that option, because they live in a flat etc. to use a PHEV. So it makes perfect sense for them to charge up at the station so they can use electric power for the daily commute to/from the station.
The whole idea of electric cars is to burn coal rather then oil as a car fuel after all. Much better for the planet?
Finding accurate well to wheel figures that don't come from a source with obvious bias is tricky
some say the difference is about half ( in EV's favour) other says its about the same or even worse.

however the industry sources I've recently been exposed to show the current 'well to wheel' figures of energy used when you compare a 100% EV to a good petrol car ( non hybrid) are about 1% difference

so you can either burn coal in a power station and produce Co2 that way or burn oil at source
so there's not much in it at present plus we're not looking very closely at the environmental impact of Lithium mining, plus power stations tend not to have a big cataylst stuffed on top of the chimney and lets not too closely at jet engine emissions shall we......

I do think we should all be on EV for the daily schlep but equally we don't want to be caught up the latest level of 'greenwash' and a gentle introduction / phasing out of combustion engines is the most likely approach and even then the IC engine will still have some applications
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Isn't it just "Let's make the pollution somewhere I care less about..." ;)
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
geofftl1000r (Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

GreySilver Beast wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:33 am
There are also Grants available for Installing Charging Points at home plus in some cases the connection is already built into the price of the Electric Car when you buy it in the first place :thumleft:

Also in some cases you don't need to worry about the Installation ie planning permission as the Motor Company will take care of that for you, which is even better when you live in a block of Flats and have your own Parking Space to Install the Charger Point :thumleft:

Give it another 24 months and Wireless Charging will become reality for charging your Electric Car :p:

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk
Absolutely Nigel. Although sadly those grants are only for EV buyers. They don't apply to long term rentals like I'll be doing. I gotta pay :\

I have to be honest that my own motivations for change were largely economic. To reduce my R3 mileage the cheapest possible/least committed way. That surprisingly turned out to be EV rental. Not an ICE option.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 pm)