RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Re: After track day lots of grinding!

Post by zippyonline »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:16 pm
zippyonline wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 pm
Anyway, I think my point is those with these brakes should check that they're setup in the correct orientation - is this something Dan the originator of the group buy could orchestrate?
Being flat, no, it isn't something I can or should orchestrate. Ultimately it's not my product, and all I did was organise a group buy.
Hi Dan. I'm not even trying to slightly drag you into this really, and I think everyone who took part in the group buy and freaky are quite chuffed that you've organised something that wouldn't have otherwise been available to us RX8 owners.

What I'm trying to say and perhaps put in-eloquently (is that a word!?) is that there's a few cases of brakes that have been setup in leading configuration, and therefore it may be nice to point this out to owners of the group buy to just double check that their brakes have been setup in trailing configuration to suit the RX-8. Given brakes are quite a useful safety feature on the car - checking wouldn't be a bad idea. As you kindly organised the group buy, I thought you would be best placed having a list of members who took part. I'd be happy enough to then fire a round of PM's on the forum from this point in order to not drag you in any further - perhaps linking to this thread may be beneficial to highlight this. This may save many members going through the same process as Ramesh, or it may well be that everything is fine for everyone else and all the other brakes have indeed been setup as trailing - in which case no harm done.

I apologise if I didn't word my original post particularly well.

Mods - I also think the thread might be a handy one to save under a bit of a forum that doesn't auto-archive as there's some handy bits of information that may be beneficial to other members hidden here.
These users thanked the author zippyonline for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm)
Copper Red Evolve - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=71400
rameshr
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by rameshr »

So Luke tried to do this today, one of the nur on the bar would not budge...so looks like I will have to send this in. Will chat to freaky tomorrow:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
M3 E92

OLD Car
Half-Bridge Engine
Lightened Fly + Clutch
Whiteline ARB's + Droplinks
Brake Upgrade 4 pot front
AEM Intake
D969 Coils
BlackDiamond Disc + M1144 Pads
YellowSpeed Suspension
Dwell timers adjusted
Short Shifter
Braided Brake + Clutch Lines
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by Mpv2k3 »

I originally recieved two calipers for the same side and was advised that the cross bar couldn't be swapped around. I can't remember from whom though. #-o

I will have to check my calipers when I get a chance but looking at pictures of old pads I've changed, they show signs of tapering so my calipers may be wrong too... :(

Not had much luck with theses calipers.
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

There's a difference between incorrectly "handed" calipers and calipers that have been assembled for leading vs trailing installation.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
zippyonline
Former Member
Former Member

Post by zippyonline »

Mpv2k3 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:17 pm
I originally recieved two calipers for the same side and was advised that the cross bar couldn't be swapped around. I can't remember from whom though. #-o
Ironically that was me (and Dave). viewtopic.php?f=144&t=74656&start=250#p1120735
zippyonline wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 pm
Mpv2k3 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:44 pm
Need to find out if the bleed valves and cross bar can just be swapped over to the opposite ends
Afraid you can't. There is a leading and trailing piston (smaller piston on leading edge), so the orientation of these should remain. So whilst you can swap the bleed nipples and the link pipe and the hydraulics would still operate, the brakes won't function as they should.
warpc0il wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:15 pm
No because...

He beat me to it.
I've managed to swap mine over my link pipe over on mine, which I was fully prepared to not follow through with - as swapping pipes over etc. is well known for ending in failure and I know of many experienced mechanics and competent spanner people who won't as it's very easy/common to round and strip them. As mine were brand new and after discussions with Freaky who won't take back my new calipers - but would swap the pipe over if I sent them back, I thought I would see how they'd go to save some faff. They just about went OK - but mine are effectively brand new, so won't be subjected to the corrosion between different metals in a road salt condition - so be very wary of doing this if they've had some mileage on the road, something could go horribly wrong!
P1040937.JPG
Anyway, I now have some calipers that have the leading and trailing brake pistons the correct orientation for an RX-8!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

What size spanners were needed?

Just incase upon inspection of my calipers once I get time, I need to change them over.

Hopefully I won't need to as it's not something I'm happy about having to do. :x
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Those pipe nuts look like 11mm in the photo but I could be wrong.

The (very) important thing is that you use a brake pipe spanner, effectively a deep ring spanner with a slot for the pipe, and not just an open-ended.

Open-ended spanner put all the force on just two opposite corners of the hex head.
With a normal bolt this can round-off those corners but with a brake pipe nut being hollow the nut can just crush.

A well-fitting brake pipe spanner puts the force on all six-corners and it much less likely to damage the nut.
Note that some cheap brake-pipe spanners are poorly formed and are worse than useless...

The bleed screws are also hollow and should be removed with a deep six-sided socket - not a spanner.
When replacing the bleed screws, they should only be tightened until the cone end seats - tighten any further and the hole at the side will crush, tipping the cone such that it can't make a good seal.

Note that this response is not just directed at Mpv2k3 - who may very well already know this stuff - but also anyone else following this thread.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
zippyonline
Former Member
Former Member

Post by zippyonline »

Mpv2k3 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm
What size spanners were needed?
10mm for bleed nipples, 11mm for the link pipe.
warpc0il wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:10 pm
Those pipe nuts look like 11mm in the photo but I could be wrong.

The (very) important thing is that you use a brake pipe spanner, effectively a deep ring spanner with a slot for the pipe, and not just an open-ended.
I'm impressed with your spotting sizes from a photo! Just to note, there's not much space in there. I have a half decent 11mm flare spanner, and there wasn't enough space to use it. My open ended was fine - just, you can see the spanner flex before it goes too far, I was expecting to have to abort that actually. I'd expect you couldn't do that if it had been on the car....
Definitely need a decent 6 point socket on the bleed nipples though, they're not as high quality as the link pipe fittings.
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

I've got braided brake lines so I can't clamp these off. I guess I'm going to need to do a full brake fluid change too then?

Or any suggestions?
zippyonline
Former Member
Former Member

Post by zippyonline »

Mpv2k3 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm
any suggestions?
Open a bleed nipple (with some pipe or something on the end, or even just a rag, just to catch the excess), then press the brake pedal all the way down and keep it down with a block of wood or something. This will then stop fluid dripping out when you then leave the brake line disconnected.

It may be worth disconnecting the brake light switch so your brake lights aren't on constantly when you're doing this.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

just tightly stretch and bind the finger of a rubber glove over the end of the brake pipe, that will stop it leaking fluid as its not pressurised.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

If the unions do feel like they're going to round off, just cut the pipe, put a socket on it and then make up new link pipes, often easier than completely destroying the nut.
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

I've still not managed to get around to checking my calipers due to various reasons but a thought crossed my mind today......

If I was to find that one caliper was set up wrong and the cross pipe and bleed valve had to be swapped over..... but, the other caliper was correct.

Am I correct by thinking that it wouldn't work as once you have the pipe and valve swapped and rotated the caliper so that the small pot is at the bottom, the bolt holes for the bracket will be on the wrong side ( facing outwards). #-o

It will only work if both calipers have been set up wrong?...... So you can therefore swap the pipe and valve and then rotate the calipers to the opposite side of the car.
:-k
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

I think you summed it up in your last sentence Mark.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
Mpv2k3 (Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:09 am)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam »

Yep, you'll be needing a lefty and a righty. I made this mistake recently when I sent a pair or righties to my painter, and once he'd painted them he realised I didn't have a pair #-o

If you've got a lefty and an upside-down lefty that's been flipped, you'll need to have a chat with Freaky. Although to be fair, if you're not seeing the sort of wear that Ramesh has on your pads, it's likely you've got the right setup.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Knowing my luck with these calipers, mine are probably wrong, although I have been able to check them properly yet.

But looking at some old pictures of worn pads, they do look wedge shaped :shock:

And having a quick look at the nuts for the cross pipes on the calipers, they are quite weathered so may not be possible to change if needed without getting damaged. :shock: :(
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeriousSam »

Get yourself some flare nut spanners, they'll give you the best chance of not rounding the nuts off. Good luck!
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
rameshr
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rameshr »

I tried to do the same was not possible to change with the right tools. I sent it to freaky who changed the pipes for me. I am hoping to install these next weekend

Current
M3 E92

OLD Car
Half-Bridge Engine
Lightened Fly + Clutch
AEM Intake
D969 Coils
YellowSpeed Suspension
Dwell timers adjusted
Short Shifter
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

I have flare nut spanners but I previously found that there was not enough clearance for the spanner to engage the nut correctly

Rameshr....... what condition was your cross bar nut in? Were they weathered badly ?
rameshr
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rameshr »

Yep only one but I was able to loosen. I would say chat to freaky.

Current
M3 E92

OLD Car
Half-Bridge Engine
Lightened Fly + Clutch
AEM Intake
D969 Coils
YellowSpeed Suspension
Dwell timers adjusted
Short Shifter
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Although they need a good clean..... least of my worries at the moment with the car.

Here's a pic, you can kind of see how weathered the nuts and bleed valve are....
20190322_152646.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rameshr
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rameshr »

Looks the same as mine tbh

Current
M3 E92

OLD Car
Half-Bridge Engine
Lightened Fly + Clutch
AEM Intake
D969 Coils
YellowSpeed Suspension
Dwell timers adjusted
Short Shifter
CraigS
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by CraigS »

Mpv2k3 wrote:Although they need a good clean..... least of my worries at the moment with the car.

Here's a pic, you can kind of see how weathered the nuts and bleed valve are....
20190322_152646.jpg
Are those discs unevenly worn or is it me ??
Craig

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Brilliant Black Pz 203Rwhp
RR Full Bridge Goopy Seals
Lightened Balanced Rotating Assy
Ultra Light Fly
Lightweight Pulleys Greddy Sump
Rx8 Performance Mounts
Rb Revi + Scoop RR585 Coils Rb Oil LInes RRP Cofs
Braided Brake And Clutch Lines Mishi Ally Rad Cruise Full R3 Interior Rmagic Front Lip Carbon Boot Lid + Mspeed SpoilerRb Header Cobra CatBack

Dont Tell The Wife [-o<
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

I think they start life like that
These users thanked the author Eddie_r32 for the post:
CraigS (Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:19 pm)
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

It's normal for the side of the disc that's fixed to the centre bell to be thicker.

It's got to transfer the stopping force of both sides through it, whereas the other side of the disc only has its own side to deal with and send those forces through the casting vents.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post (total 3):
Phil Bate (Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:05 pm) • CraigS (Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:19 pm) • V8 Power (Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:29 pm)
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-