Leaving a charger connected - best way??

Place for discussions about the RX-8
RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Been thanked: 0

Leaving a charger connected - best way??

Post by RX8Red72 »

Hi folks .......... It is my first winter with my car and I want to hook up a charger over winter. I have the following charger pictured below. The mains plug in the garage is about 20mtr away.

What i would prefer to do is keep the charger and pug in the garage - Is there a way I can extend the crocodile clip cable??

Alternatively i will have to run a 3pin plug extension lead the distance - is there a way of placing the charger safely and running the cable out from under the bonnet and still keep the bonnet shut??

Dom-PZ
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Leaving a charger connected - best way??

Post by Dom-PZ »

Not tried it with the RX-8, but with my disco I have the extension lead under the bonnet with the charger. Could also use something like this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-w ... 249_BQ.prd
These users thanked the author Dom-PZ for the post:
RX8Red72 (Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:57 pm)
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

Couldn’t you just disconnect the battery for winter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author mrspiller for the post:
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Strange as it sounds, leaving the battery disconnected has been known to create very expensive issues.

Not only does the battery maintain the memories of the radio (stationing settings) and the PCM (fuel trims and ESS calibration) and the drivers door window (up/down position) but also the Power Steering (calibration).

It's the latter that gets corrupted when the battery is left out or allowed to go flat. There is a process to reset this but it doesn't always work and can result in the complete rack requiring replacement.

Anyway, the risk of this is enough to avoid removing the battery, if at all possible.

I would suggest either;
- using a solar panel charger left of the dash or parcel shelf (whichever faces south) and plugged into the ODB2 socket under the dash.
- a mains extension lead, with the enclosure housing both the socket end and the charger - though I'd be worried about the charger overheating.
- again a mains extension but just put the socket and the charger under the bonnet - this would be a bit tight for space.
- cut off the croc clips and extend the output cable using 2-core flex (the orange stuff used for mowers etc).

This last one would be my choice, though you'd need to splice the new cable to the existing and weatherproof the joint with shrink-sleeve.

I would also buy a pair of plug/sockets as used for RC cars and a couple of 8mm ring connectors and make a short "pigtail lead".
The pigtail is permanently wired to the battery and presents the plug next to the coolant expansion tank, allowing the long cable to be attached/removed without messing about with the battery cover every time.

There is plenty of clearance under the front lip of the bonnet for it to be closed with the cable connected.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Batteries don`t like being left to constantly run right down it shortens their life, its better for battery life if it is kept fully charged with a top up when required which should happen when you constantly drive your car, I don`t regularly drive my RX-8 so I have fitted a a Smart Battery Alert which beeps to let you know the voltage has dropped to 12.2 volt and to charge it rather than leave the charger on all the time.
A bonus it should stop you from suffering a flat battery when out and about.

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Driving the car is definitely the best solution but maybe not such a great idea when there's ice/snow/salt on the roads.

Running the engine stationary is a really bad idea, for any car but especially a rotary.

So you're right to look for charger options.

Disabling the internal alarm (4th button on the fob) significantly reduces the battery drain.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

RX8Red72 (Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:58 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Red72 »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:53 am
Strange as it sounds, leaving the battery disconnected has been known to create very expensive issues.

Not only does the battery maintain the memories of the radio (stationing settings) and the PCM (fuel trims and ESS calibration) and the drivers door window (up/down position) but also the Power Steering (calibration).

It's the latter that gets corrupted when the battery is left out or allowed to go flat. There is a process to reset this but it doesn't always work and can result in the complete rack requiring replacement.

Anyway, the risk of this is enough to avoid removing the battery, if at all possible.

I would suggest either;
- using a solar panel charger left of the dash or parcel shelf (whichever faces south) and plugged into the ODB2 socket under the dash.
- a mains extension lead, with the enclosure housing both the socket end and the charger - though I'd be worried about the charger overheating.
- again a mains extension but just put the socket and the charger under the bonnet - this would be a bit tight for space.
- cut off the croc clips and extend the output cable using 2-core flex (the orange stuff used for mowers etc).

This last one would be my choice, though you'd need to splice the new cable to the existing and weatherproof the joint with shrink-sleeve.

I would also buy a pair of plug/sockets as used for RC cars and a couple of 8mm ring connectors and make a short "pigtail lead".
The pigtail is permanently wired to the battery and presents the plug next to the coolant expansion tank, allowing the long cable to be attached/removed without messing about with the battery cover every time.

There is plenty of clearance under the front lip of the bonnet for it to be closed with the cable connected.

That is interesting as i do also have the AA Solar Panel. This would be much easier for me, but having used on my previous Saab Diesel it didnt maintain the charge enough. Perhaps i will give it a try with the RX and see how i get on, but I think your last option feels the more reliable option. Thankyou fro your advice
Phil H
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Phil H »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:27 pm
Driving the car is definitely the best solution but maybe not such a great idea when there's ice/snow/salt on the roads.

Running the engine stationary is a really bad idea, for any car but especially a rotary.

So you're right to look for charger options.

Disabling the internal alarm (4th button on the fob) significantly reduces the battery drain.

Interesting about the Power Steering issue, but what happens if you need to change a battery, will there be a posibility of having the same issues. Also how do you disarm the internal alarm that you mentioned. Thanks.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Removing the battery for an hour definitely isn't an issue. While cars can be left without a battery for a week or more during engine rebuilds, usually without problems.

The steering ECU seems to have the problem when the battery is removed (or dies) and it's left for months, especially over winter.

Disable the alarm by pressing the 4th button the the key/fob, within a few seconds of locking the car. The indicators should flash to acknowledge.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 pm
Removing the battery for an hour definitely isn't an issue. While cars can be left without a battery for a week or more during engine rebuilds, usually without problems.

The steering ECU seems to have the problem when the battery is removed (or dies) and it's left for months, especially over winter.

Disable the alarm by pressing the 4th button the the key/fob, within a few seconds of locking the car. The indicators should flash to acknowledge.
never heard of that one before!? is this an isolated incedent or has it happened for a few people? was it definitely down to the battery?

I always take the battery out over winter and have had no problems. i regularly remove it in the summer too as i get to use the car so infrequently.
BlueNev
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by BlueNev »

I use a solar panel connected directly to the battery. The wires follow the gap between the wing and the windscreen A pillar. This keeps some charge in the car but i do give the car a full charge, if i know i'm off out in it. The car is seldom used.
I check the battery voltage via the cigar lighter socket with the ignition on.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

dac69er wrote:
warpc0il wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 pm

never heard of that one before!? is this an isolated incedent or has it happened for a few people? was it definitely down to the battery?

I always take the battery out over winter and have had no problems. i regularly remove it in the summer too as i get to use the car so infrequently.
I'm not keeping count but I'm guessing about six occasions over the last ten years.

One was initially assumed to be the ps ecu but turned-out to be corrosion in the torque sensor. The rest were due to battery being left flat in the car or removed.

Two of the cars were repaired by dealers, who also confirmed the cause and had tried and failed to reset using their dealer-only plug in machine.

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

Very strange!!!!!
RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Red72 »

Hi ... sorry to resurrect this ... but following the advice on this thread i have now sorted a charging solution which seems to be working well. Should i be concerned as to whether the cable coming out from the bonnet will cause any damage to paint work over winter months?? (i couldnt see any way of running it from underneath)

dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

Should be straight forward to run the lead underneath.
Best bet would be down the passenger side where the plug wires run down and then poke them out of the flap near the engine mount unto the wheel well. You can then run it along the ground to your power supply.
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

My old RX8 had massive parasitic drain and I had to charge it weekly (turned out to be a Nokia bluetooth kit was hardwired always on by previous owner) I grew tired of constantly popping the bonnet and hooking up the charger and had noticed that supercars have magnetic external conditioner ports like this
fcharge.JPG
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-Batt ... 2330545545

I replicated it for less than a fiver routing it next to the r/h oil cooler using something very similar to this https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 4735cBacsA
I wouldn't put more than 3 amps through it but trickle charging was fine.

With my current car I just check the battery levels periodically using a £20 monitor which clips onto the battery terminals that connects to my phone, shows the health of the battery and gives an alert when it drops below 40%.
Due to the rx8 having a thin aluminum bonnet and not much insulation the range is pretty good, it prompted me the other day as I was leaving the house so put it on charge.

Screenshot_2018-12-08-20-35-51.png
Bit scary just how much data it logs, this was on the 1st at Bedford autodrome
Screenshot_2018-12-08-20-40-14.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mherby
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Mherby »

Would something like I use on the bike work?:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/103719

The SAE7 connector leaves a permanent wire to the battery, then you mount the connector for the optimate somewhere suitable. I don't think the Optimate itself is powerful enough to charge the battery the RX8 has. They do make an optimate for the car which you can get an SAE7 adapter for as the 4 uses their old style of connector:

RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Red72 »

I bought a couple of these off Amazon whic are 25ft long and joined them together. I also followed warpc0il advice and have ring connectors and a short length permanantly connected to the battery .... This allows me to keep the charging unit in garage and connect/disconnect without having to remove battery cover etc

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

Definitely easier to leave it connected all the time, I think.
DSCF3056.jpg
:whistle:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Red72 »

Any feedback on whether the cable is likely to damage paintwork if left for few months??
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I've had a cable running out under the front of my bonnet, on and off for over 10 years and there's no visible mark.
RX8Red72 (Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:56 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

RX8Red72 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:03 pm
I bought a couple of these off Amazon whic are 25ft long and joined them together. I also followed warpc0il advice and have ring connectors and a short length permanantly connected to the battery .... This allows me to keep the charging unit in garage and connect/disconnect without having to remove battery cover etc

You could use that with this and connect inside the car....
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools ... aintainers
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
RX8Red72 (Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:14 pm)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Red72 »

bigpete8 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:06 pm
RX8Red72 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:03 pm

You could use that with this and connect inside the car....
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools ... aintainers

I like that idea also =D>
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

If you already have aa solar charger you could do something similar to this..
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74918&p=1191102#p1191102
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043