Place for discussions about the RX-8
RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red

A couple of questions - Brakes & suspension

Post by RX8Red72 »

Hi folks .... I have a couple of questions if may ... apologies if this is basic stuff.

After a couple of weeks parked up I have gone to use the RX today. As i pulled away there was a clonk, as if something sticking/seized had released. As i drove up my road there was rotational grinding noise. Faster i went (i didnt go over 15mph) the quicker it sounded. It seemes to fix itself after a few hundred yards. Would i be correct in thinking this is the brakes sticking??. I DO NOT use the handbrake when parked up so would it still be brakes?? ... The car had new pads and discs at the front and an o/s brake caliper fitted earlier this year (previous owner ... I have the paperwork) .... I will say though, that the noise could of been coming from the n/s

Secondly .... Car drives lovely on most roads, it is stable and generally quiet. However on some side roads/estate roads etc where the roads may not be as smooth it does sound quite clonky & crashy ..... Being a relative newbie I am unsure what my expectations should be. I want take into account it is a 14 year old vehicle with 40k on the clock and apart from having one (yes just one!! :roll: ) drop link fitted have no record of any suspension parts replaced. It is a characteristic of the car i can live with it (its nothing like as bad as my previous Saab!)
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Re: A couple of questions - Brakes & suspension

Post by ChrisHolmes »

It is possible that after sitting for a couple of weeks that the discs has rusted and a pad had bonded. As you drove the rust would have rubbed off and the noise died out.
Often when I reverse off my drive I get a couple of clunks which I can hear and feel as the car turns into the road which I put down to the diff being cold and working jerkily.
Regarding the car being clingy and crash on uneven roads that can be a very subjective observation and very difficult to diagnose remotely.
I suggest you go along to one of the clubs monthly meets in your area or visit a garage to have the car test driven.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

Your first paragraph sounds like classic pads sticking to the discs. Whether it happens depends on what type of pads and discs you have fitted. It's not usually anything to worry about, and parking up with your handbrake not on is usually enough to ensure that you will be able to pull away OK.

RX-8s don't usually clonk badly over rough roads. You may want to investigate. Although any 14 year old car will be clonkier than a new car. It's hard to be more specific without a proper investigation. It could be dampers, springs, bushes, drop links, wheel nuts, or some random loose parts under the car.

(Chris beat me to it....)
RX8Red72
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by RX8Red72 »

thanks for your feedback folks ... very helpful
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

:whathesaid: regarding the brakes.

It's so common that Mazda North American Operation had to write a Service Bulletin to explain to customers
BANG or CLUNK NOISE DURING FIRST FORWARD MOVEMENT AFTER SITTING.pdf

Regarding the suspension, take a look at the car from behind, while parked on a flat surface.

The bootlid should be level and there should be the same gap between the top of the rear tyre and the underside of the wheel arch, on both sides.
If one side is lower then the spring on that side has broken, probably high up inside the arch. Cars have been known to pass an MOT in this state as some testers aren't as observant as they should be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:35 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ