Brake pads - Brembos a bit rubbish

Place for discussions about the RX-8
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Re: Brake pads - Brembos a bit rubbish

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

Reds are EC90 approved, they can't be much higher friction than OE pads or they fail that.

I wouldn't even bother with them, either stock or if you really need something start stepping up to proper pads like F4R, DS1.11, XP8, etc.
These users thanked the author RenesisRaceBuggy for the post:
untakenname (Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:29 pm)
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Daleevs »

Trust me guys project mu!!!! Had them on the supra with 500hp absolutley awsome i bought them for a laugh because of the price thinking ah we'll give them a go see what the fuss is about and the rest wer history im geting front and rear for Roxanne with stop tech disks, and i think they were hyro carbon
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The Project Mu distributor for the UK doesn't stock pads for the RX8, though they do RX7 :?
https://www.hendyeshop.co.uk/mazda-33419-c.asp
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

dac69er wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 pm
I have some brembo pads to fit on mine soon so I will see how they are compared to the original mazda pads.
I'm well impressed with the current setup so will be disappointed if the brakes get worse with new pads
Not sure what you mean by 'original mazda pads'. I'd be surprised if Mazda make their own pad compounds.

If your new pads are the OEM fit Brembo pads (rather than 'big brake' ones), they're super for fast road and track days. I've used them for 25k miles now and those pads are excellent. Even with those cheapos on I out-brake dedicated race cars on track. So for the road they're juuuust fine.

Azimuth must have had an unlucky issue with his received set or fitting. Don't be put off. Mintex ones will be fine too.
untakenname wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:49 pm
Brembo make decent calipers but the pads aren't upto much
Best pads I've used are Hawk HPS, ABS triggered a lot quicker than when I was using EBS reds.
Not up to much compared to what? You guys are comparing OEM pads designed for the road, that don't need warming up and that you can fit on the whole car for £50, with race/track focused pads that cost 4 times as much.

If you want to buy Reds, Project Mu, Hawks etc and overspec the braking that's awesome. Strakes are cool too. But making out that the cheaper pads aren't up to much is a bit... :-s

If you're wanting pads for sustained maximum attack on track days or competitive racing rather than fast road use that's another conversation, and would be helpful if that was made explicit.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Owners should be aware that both Mintex & Brembo brakes can be fakes - they are out there the price is usually a bit of a give away but not necessarily.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

warpc0il wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm
The Project Mu distributor for the UK doesn't stock pads for the RX8, though they do RX7 :?
Essex Rotary however do have access to Project Mu pads as fitted to my EX RX8 :(
Now a distant memory unfortunately.
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

dac69er wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 pm
I have some brembo pads to fit on mine soon so I will see how they are compared to the original mazda pads.
I'm well impressed with the current setup so will be disappointed if the brakes get worse with new pads
Not sure what you mean by 'original mazda pads'. I'd be surprised if Mazda make their own pad compounds.

If your new pads are the OEM fit Brembo pads (rather than 'big brake' ones), they're super for fast road and track days. I've used them for 25k miles now and those pads are excellent. Even with those cheapos on I out-brake dedicated race cars on track. So for the road they're juuuust fine.

Azimuth must have had an unlucky issue with his received set or fitting. Don't be put off. Mintex ones will be fine too.

my car has done 18k miles from new so it has the original pads. i understand the pads are unlikely to be made by mazda themselves.

I went on a trackday recently and they held up amazingly well. i have a set of new pads ready as the originals are starting to wear down a bit now. was just a worry that they may not be as good as the originals, which is all i am after.
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

I put Brembos (from ECP) all round on mine recently and have not noticed any real difference, though they have not had any hard use yet.
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam »

I reckon if the pads aren't doing the job, there's something else going on. Most brake pads will do the business, so long as they're genuine and appropriate to the use case (road pads for road cars, race pads for race cars). I'd be stripping the whole lot down, making sure the discs are in good nick, the calipers are sliding cleanly, the brake fluid is fresh and clean, the lines and pipes are not corroded or damaged, all of that stuff. Then I'd follow the manufacturer's bedding in procedure and see where it ends up.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Harrizone wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:31 am
warpc0il wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm
Essex Rotary however do have access to Project Mu pads as fitted to my EX RX8 :(
Had those in my MR-S stopping was like hitting a large stationary object
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Delanor wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 am
Owners should be aware that both Mintex & Brembo brakes can be fakes - they are out there the price is usually a bit of a give away but not necessarily.

Del.
A very valid point. The fake pads sellers from the East and the importers in the West got wise many years ago that a super low price "gave the game away" and they now simply price "competitively" and make huge profits.
When I worked for Perkins I managed the distributors in India and Pakistan and "number two" products are offered by traders alongside the genuine parts, or are they genuine. I remember one day sitting in a little shop in the tractor parts market of Lahore and asking to see every brand of piston that they sold for the Perkins 3.152 engine. The counterfeited brands were Perkins Powerpart (3 versions), LUK, AE, Mahle, KS, PC, plus others I cannot recall but certainly we had over 10 pistons on the counter and the packaging of the Powerpart was very good indeed and to the average mechanic would look the same.
The really interesting quirk out there though was that the traders usually actually described the fake brands as Number 2 product when they sold them to customers thus they said to me they were being honest with the customer. A very interesting and educational 5 years that was.

What is my point here? Simply that to ensure you are buying genuine parts you need to buy from an official distributor that deals direct with the manufacturer or their appointed importer. ECP, Andrew Page, FPS etc: I am confident will not be selling fake products but as you get down the distribution chain into high street accessory type shops look out! As for eBay then that can be like buying a lottery ticket.

Must go, got a car to wash and wheels to change.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

The industry doesn`t help itself though - I have emailed NGK twice on behalf of the RX-8 OC that there is a concern about fake NGK plugs in the market place and could they provide a list of Bona Fide distributors so we could be fairly confident you were getting the genuine article - annoyingly no reply!

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

The problem here is that there are too many steps in the supply chain, between the manufacturer and the end user, with a lack of traceability.
It's not possible for NGK to know which way their genuine products went and whether or not they were diluted with fakes along the way.
It would be commercial suicide for NGK, or any other manufacturer, to publish a whitelist of retailers, as they would be extending their product liability to include every "NGK branded" product sold through that outlet - genuine or not.

Given that fake prescription drugs can get injected into the supply chain and appear on the shelves of legitimate High Street chemists, what chance do we have with genuine auto parts?

Mazda Franchised Dealers have been caught selling fake coils as genuine...
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:15 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

There's a few companies using open blockchains for scanners at the factory, shipping, distribution, etc, tied into QR codes on the boxes you can scan to check it's a genuine product and trace it - not many on that kind of thing yet though.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

That sounds like a good idea, though I don't understand how that would prevent cloning, just flag that this is the nth check of what should be a unique valid code.

This type of blacklisting fails when someone has access to the real supply chain, scans every box in the warehouse, sends this list to his mates and they all "check for validity", such that all the genuine products are now flagged as fake.

Ford and its suppliers make heavy use of RFID chips in the JIT production supply process and had been looking to expand it into the parts and service arena. Seems it's fine for stock management but of little value in flagging clones.

Many suppliers tried holographic labels but these are also faked these days too.

Going a little off-topic but, for some reason I was reminded of this news story...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 70621.html
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

If Jaguar Land Rover can`t stop Land Wind producing one of these then what chance has the brake/ spark plug manufacturer got?
Ah well if you can`t beat them I`ll have one of these for £14K.

Del.
range-chino-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Unreal :shock: Looks good on the outside but possibly a pile of sh!te underneath the shell? :-k Seriously though,how the hell do they get away with it?
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

:arrow: Clicky

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Thanks for that Mark,very interesting read
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post:
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:16 pm)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

kopite72 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 pm
Unreal :shock: Looks good on the outside but possibly a pile of sh!te underneath the shell? :-k Seriously though,how the hell do they get away with it?
Zero copyright laws. You can rip off design and patents without issue in China. Export it then that is another story. A bit easier with a spark plug, filter, brake pad etc. but a car, phone etc. will get stopped quickly.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 192

Post by Daleevs »

Guys Eballs sell project mu i got some down for after xmas
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by AdamGaltress »

Are the project Mu pads any good? I was looking at them the other day for the 7
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

JDM RX-7 FD - Project Thread
Bridgeport Copper Red MazdaSpeed Evolve - Project Thread
- Parted out
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

AdamGaltress wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:45 am
Are the project Mu pads any good? I was looking at them the other day for the 7

Following Essex rotary have them for the 8 to I think about them
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

There are also fake Project Mu pads in circulation, though I'm sure Aston would take care where he gets his stock from.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

As far as I am aware Aston imports direct from Project Mu. As to wether or not they work, boy do they :thumleft: but only when warm then they will put you through the windscreen :lol: . Well they do the way I brake #-o .
These users thanked the author Harrizone for the post:
AdamGaltress (Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:14 pm)
Now a distant memory unfortunately.