plas87
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

Driving my RX8 for a month now...my thoughts

Post by plas87 »

It's been just over a month since I purchased my RX8 PZ with a 114k miles (on the higher side, yes). Prior to the RX8 I had an '05 Honda Accord 2.4 litre and before that a 2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI remapped to 180bhp with upgraded H&R springs and Bilstein B8 shocks. I also currently have a 2017 Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI as a company car. As you can see, I have always had cars, perhaps with more exception to the Accord, with relatively decent torque.

The remapped Audi A3 had bucket loads of torque (300 lb ft) and probably hit 0-60 in around 8 seconds or so. The Ford Focus with its 150bhp and 273 lb ft does 0-60 in the high 8s. Both of these cars really shove you in the back of the seat and overtaking was effortless but the 0-60 times doesn't really reflect this oddly enough.

Despite the RX8's reputation of having zero torque, I am pleasantly surprised to find that I can make decent progress by keeping the revs up to 3k RPM. I don't think the RX8 lacks torque at all in any sense unless maybe you're comparing it to 6 or 8 cylinder sport cars like the Nissan 370z or the BMW E92 M3 and neither of these cars are known to have huge straight line performance in the sports car world.

What I do find is that if I am on third or fourth gear doing 30 mph and floor the accelerator nothing really happens. I need to drop down to second to get the car moving which was what I was expecting anyway - and its fun!

In terms of handling, yes it grips well but I was expecting the car to rolls less around the corners. I have driven regular 3 series M Sports and they have less body roll than my car. I should mention that I have Ling Long Chinese tyres at the back and Bridgestone Potezna's on the front which actually makes the car more fun to drive as the back tyres spin more (and are hard compound tyres meaning they last longer).
These users thanked the author plas87 for the post:
willberry70 (Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 pm)
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Re: Driving my RX8 for a month now...my thoughts

Post by 350matt »

I'd get those ling longs off the car if you want to live long

as its getting colder out there so whats fun at 15 degrees will be lethal at 5 degrees
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

You have described the classic RX8.. always be in one or 2 gears lower than a piston car, they are meant to be high revving.. anything else is not good enough, you have to drive her so differently than a piston job.. and those sh*t tyres give what you have.. get rid or die :(
The 8 will leave anything standing in the cornering department, try decent rubber and you will appreciate the 8, don't knock it with the crap rubber you have on her now!
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

What John said^^^ get some top quality rubber on the car like Vred Vorti's or some other good tyres and you might change your opinion on the handling.

If after doing that you still feel the car is rolling a tad too much for your liking then get a set of Racing Beat ARB's on her.....job done.

Have to disagree with you on the torque though, low down the car wouldn't pull the panties off your favourite girl. It's all about driving well up the rev range to get the best out of it
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by dac69er »

I like everything about the ride other than I do also feel it rolls too much and could be a tad stiffer for my liking. After taking it on track, it is really noticeable.
I would quite like a little more power at the top end, I think a street port would do that for me. I don't have a huge issue with the torque, a lighter flywheel wouldn't go amiss, but that would probably make the low torque more noticeable.

Brakes are amazing imo for a road car. I hammered them on the track and they were great and never faded.