Place for discussions about the RX-8
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Loss of power ***** need advice

Post by Daleevs »

Rite over a week ago i had a problem on day with the car i had alot of power loss and its was like a spluttering feeling and hesitation when driving also the fuel consumption was terrible £30 got me about 30 miles... so off information ive found on here and other sites i thought it may be a ignition problem so i bought new coils spark plugs and leads and also cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor along with my k&n panel filter i done all of which on thursday minus the spark plugs and leads as i dont them yesterday, the car was back to normal on thursday and was driving well, only thing its about the 8th time the car has been run way way under the red fuel light, so then yesterday i changed the plugs and leads one of the new spark trailing plugs tho cracked as i tightened to much so had to put on if the old ones in which doesnt look that bad at all so reused it, how ever now the car drives but only say half throttle ive you put any more down it hesitates more or less on the spot and makes a weired buzzing sort of sound plus a nasty fuel smell and its drinking fuel and help on this matter would be brill and much appreciated also the new leads were not marked at all but i managed to match up them with old ones on the length of them think it was coil 1 (front of car) 1st bottom plug lead second was 1st plug top trail second housing was 3rd coil bottom plug lead and 4th coil was second housing top plug trail
SteveTroman
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Loss of power ***** need advice

Post by SteveTroman »

To me it sounds like the fuel pump, there is a recall on them.
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

If it is that be music to my ears as ive purchased a new uprated higher flow fuel pump for the 8 also the engine management light flashes when full throttle if that makes more sence but only when foot goes down if i half throttle the car it revs right up the range and pulls quickly but not under more than half throttle
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 »

Eml light flashing normally means a misfire what coils have u fitted?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BigPete
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Custom

Post by BigPete »

Um I’d say you have not bought Oem coils in which case it won’t run well at all. If you have bought some cheap coils from eBay beware as I’ve had 2 cars with engine fires due to fake coils plus one that wasn’t far off catching fire. Put a link up as to where you got them from.
Bigpete

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

.. and are you decatted? .. because if not then the cat could be blocked.
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

to give people a better idea of how to help,how much were the coils?
Rob :thumright:
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

If you got a fuel pump issue then the recall won't help as it's not for the fuel pump itself, just the mounting in the tanks.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

The coils i ordered from euro car parts the basic ones they sell, it run lovely the thursday they were installed, however i went to get fuel friday morning, run the can there and it was on the last line of the fuel gauge even started straight away, then took it to my mates i changed the plugs and leads and thats when it happend then but as i said the leads are the black ones with no marks or labels on them as to where they go so i matched up as good as i can, theres no cat fitted its in the cuboard, i got a japspeed decat pipe fitted, i just done a run to aldi now it drives fine on maybe just less than half a throttle, any more and that weird buzzing sound similar to what it sounds like on the limiter when driving, then a flashing cel and after going back to under half throttle the engine management light just stays on which btw its always done because im running the decat pipe, thats why i didnt think the coils where bad because she was running bloody lovely prior to friday, ive read about the pumps hence why i bought one
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The ECP coils will kill your engine
The only doubt is "how soon"

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

send the coils back, waste of money and a death sentsnce for your engine.
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Aw dont say that 😂🖓 could they possible used say a few weeks intil d585's get ordered??? 🙄
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

get yourself a set of D585's or 969's from rotary revs pronto!! Sorry just saw your post about the 585's.To answer your question....no,don't drive the car til you fit the 585's
Last edited by kopite72 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dazza44 »

Wouldnt use car at all till u changed them as allready said u run a high risk of buggering ur engine .

qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by qwakers »

Daleevs wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 pm
Aw dont say that 😂🖓 could they possible used say a few weeks intil d585's get ordered??? 🙄
e

well yes, as lomg as they dont fail. whether they fail in thst short a time..?

how much of a gambler are you?
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Christ that quickly!!! 😮 id be mega shocked now know this il defo get the d585s but it wont be for a few weeks ive clocked the millage and theyve done 124 miles so far im gona change the fuel pump as a uprated and upgraded one seems the car is a 07 model and got 85k on the clock and see how she is then was really hoping it be the fuel pump and would make sense on this dumb 4SS here for running it low on several ocations now knowing these aint your normal car :-/ lesson learnt tho
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Qwakers what type of question is that???? I own a rotary of course i gamble pmsl 😂😂😂
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by qwakers »

yes but a £2000 wager against zero return is not a good bet!
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

I got a obd2 scanner coming wednesday with the new fuel pump and tool to fit so il run the scanner see what codes come up the misfire theory should show on there guys wouldnt you of thought? Im guessing its the original pump from new thats in there so it would of hurt changing it out, and il be geting the 585s in a few weeks time i just find it strange how it was fine from being caput which i would of defo said that was the coils which made it like that in the first place but this is kind of different, also the was no flashing cel when the coils originally went which is confusing to be fair but will keep updates coming should this help others out :-) :thumleft:
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

All the advice you have been given about coils is serious. I thought it might help to explain why.

A rotary fires each coil every revolution of the engine, and the engine can do 9000rpm. A piston engine fires each coil every two revolutions, and does about 6000rpm. So a rotary uses its coils about two and a half times more than a normal engine.

At high revs and loads cheap coils simply can't keep up, and the resultant misfires and excess petrol destroy the seals, the cat (If you had one), and wash the lubrication from the chambers.

Lots of new members come on here and say the same as you. Many of them report that a few days, weeks, or months later the engine went bang.

We have seen it so many times, and we try our best to warn people of the dangers. If at all possible please don't drive your car with cheap ECP coils. You won't find a single person on this forum who would recommend that you do.

Sorry!
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
BigPete (Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:26 am)
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

I find it strange that you haven't read all the coils advice given on here, or even asked before you wasted your money and given the car a potential suicide ticket :( .. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36282 .. did you also have a read this topic? .. app.php/buyers-guide :thumleft:
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob »

hi,pete h says coils fire once every revolution.dont they fire 3 times? i may be wrong but if i am right,at 9000 rpm each coil will fire 27,000 times, on a piston engine at 9,000 revs they will fire a mere 4,500 times , please correct me if i am wrong pete, but this is my understanding of it,rob.
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Ive been off the website a while acegeezer im still new to the forum thingy only used it a hand full of times and for a while i couldnt access the site or login plus then i could post on here i have sent several messages to admin :-/ yea il take it that all of you think its the coils so il take them off and have a look, but il see if i can get codes first, was just confused how it was driving amazing wven better than when i first owned that was a thursday then friday after car was empty and refilled and new leads and plugs fitted then it went to how it was now which is driveable just under certain loads which alot of other posts ive read have pointed to the fuel pump. Also would the order of leads cause this issue as they were not marked up or labelled you see i did follow a diagram but with no marked leads i thought they could be around the wrong order
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob »

hi mate,the order of the leads is definetly important.there will be someone along shortly i expect who is far better equipped than me to guide you.
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dazza44 »

The leads normally come in certain lengths so would only fit each plug(unless u got some cheapo leads fitted and are all equal lenghts.
Your best bet is to get urself a set of magnecor leads(much better than even the mazda ones).
And cheapo coils can fail just like that,2 years ago when i got my 8 i fitted a set of cheapo coils,and under high revs they failed flashing eml, that was only 200 miles in but under low revs didnt have the eml.
Aa said allready once under high load them coils just aint upto the job.
I learnt the hard way amd ended up with not only new coils but engine rebuild to.